Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Mini Bird (8 window)
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24 +1
Finally found our bus

Hi everyone,

So nice to meet all of you. Such good information and everyone seems very helpful; definitely gives me a warm fuzzy knowing this community is here.

After a bit of a roller-coaster ride trying to find the right bus at the right price, my boyfriend and I settled on a 2000 Bluebird Mini Bird (8 windows) which we will be picking up next week. I'll be glad when its in the driveway

Our plan is the convert the bus and then drive it and our three kitties from Ohio to Oregon, via a stop to visit my mum in Virginia.

I'll post pics of our conversation and thank you all so much, I've learned a lot already! I'd love to meet up with some of you on the road!

Happy trails!

Vireo

Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
welcome fellow ohioan!.. are you moving to oregon and living in the bus or making it an RV and tooling around the country?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Hi cadillackid, thank you for the welcome We are moving to Oregon and using the bus. We are in the process of donating/selling/trashing our worldly possessions and are going to make the bus as nice of an RV as we can afford, enough to qualify as an RV in Ohio at a minimum. We are definitely going to take a couple of weeks on the trip and see some of our beautiful National Parks. Once we get to Oregon, we are planning to start our own business and plan to live in the bus for a bit until we get settled somewhere.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
Hi cadillackid, thank you for the welcome We are moving to Oregon and using the bus. We are in the process of donating/selling/trashing our worldly possessions and are going to make the bus as nice of an RV as we can afford, enough to qualify as an RV in Ohio at a minimum. We are definitely going to take a couple of weeks on the trip and see some of our beautiful National Parks. Once we get to Oregon, we are planning to start our own business and plan to live in the bus for a bit until we get settled somewhere.
reality is ohio really doesnt give a crap about the "rv requirements"...
when I went in to get my tags and title as an RV here in C-bus.. I walked in the guy stamped a few papers so I could getr the title transferred to ohio... you filled an avidavit out saying you were gonna be an RV..

the "inspection" consisted of the giuy coming out of the DMV... walking inside the bus looking at the VIN plate above the driver seat and saying "Nice bus!"... took my check and I had tags and ohio title....

insurance wise i got progressive COMMERCIAL as a "bus for private use".. they asked "it is staying a bus?" 'yep!' (because in my case it pretty much is staying a bus... (travelling software / hardware DEV lab and also friends totally Love to ride it... )..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info, good to know it shouldn't be too hard to deal with the Ohio bmv.

I got a quote from Progressive for a bus for personal use and it was extremely reasonable. I may copy your idea on it "staying a bus"