Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Finally nabbed my (first) bus...

For those not following along in the Classified thread. I bid and won this bus...

Public Surplus: Auction #1695131

It's my "first" bus because I still have a bid out on a Washington state bus. It ends on Fri. So, at the very least I have a new baby. Best case, it's twins!! Anyone want to road trip from MD to WV-OH to get it? I've got a solid maybe from a co-worker. A soft maybe from the gf. I still need to PM lolmstea and see what he's up to.

According to the school guy, the bus has been sitting since last summer. He's going to get it started and drive it around the lot so they can do the sticker/spray paint thing so it should be running before I get to it. Is there anything I need to worry about IMMEDIATELY before driving it 450 miles home? Once home, it'll probably sit for the better part of 2 yrs for the roof raise and conversion. That said, is there any reason to change the fluids just to have it sit? I'd rather change everything when it finally comes off the blocks. Anything else I should do before putting it on blocks? I'll probably drain the fuel and use it in the TDI. Leave the coolant and oil?

I'll post more pics once I get it home and get to working on it.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
For those not following along in the Classified thread. I bid and won this bus...

It's my "first" bus because I still have a bid out on a Washington state bus. It ends on Fri. So, at the very least I have a new baby. Best case, it's twins!! Anyone want to road trip from MD to WV-OH to get it? I've got a solid maybe from a co-worker. A soft maybe from the gf. I still need to PM lolmstea and see what he's up to.

According to the school guy, the bus has been sitting since last summer. He's going to get it started and drive it around the lot so they can do the sticker/spray paint thing so it should be running before I get to it. Is there anything I need to worry about IMMEDIATELY before driving it 450 miles home? Once home, it'll probably sit for the better part of 2 yrs for the roof raise and conversion. That said, is there any reason to change the fluids just to have it sit? I'd rather change everything when it finally comes off the blocks. Anything else I should do before putting it on blocks? I'll probably drain the fuel and use it in the TDI. Leave the coolant and oil?

I would recommend new fuel filters for the trip home as well as (ALLWAYS) carrying a spare set of fuel filters, 5 gallons of diesel and a serpentine belt.

I cannot speak to the storage question. My method is to drive it at least once a month and drive it on the highway far enough that I get everything well up to operating temps for a good bit. My "maintenance" drives are usually an hour or two. There may be some points in the conversion process where this becomes impractical though...

Congrats on the WV bus and good luck on the WA bus. If I had a place to put it, we would be bidding against each other . Wife says two buses to work on at once is my limit......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I would recommend new fuel filters for the trip home as well as (ALLWAYS) carrying a spare set of fuel filters, 5 gallons of diesel and a serpentine belt.

I cannot speak to the storage question. My method is to drive it at least once a month and drive it on the highway far enough that I get everything well up to operating temps for a good bit. My "maintenance" drives are usually an hour or two. There may be some points in the conversion process where this becomes impractical though...

Congrats on the WV bus and good luck on the WA bus. If I had a place to put it, we would be bidding against each other . Wife says two buses to work on at once is my limit......
2 buses per wife isn't a bad ratio. Had to get rid of the wife just to get my first bus.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
2 buses per wife isn't a bad ratio. Had to get rid of the wife just to get my first bus.
I would think that that would make for a very expensive bus?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:

It's my "first" bus because I still have a bid out on a Washington state bus. It ends on Fri. So, at the very least I have a new baby. Best case, it's twins!! Anyone want to road trip from MD to WV-OH to get it?
Sorry I can't come along; I'm out of town this weekend. The offer to help with the interior demolition still stands.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
Bus Geek

As for storage vs. just sitting, I have no idea how much truly down time there will be during the build. I definitely want to keep things in the engine moving.

As for the spares, those will be the last things added before any road trip. Belt, hoses, spare tire, ... that kind of junk. All nice, fresh and new in the box.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I would think that that would make for a very expensive bus?
It was worth it!!

Things weren't terrible War of the Roses or anything but it was a marriage of convenience. Before the school bus I was thinking Transit/Sprinter conversion. She made a comment about having nothing to show for life but a busted down RV. Sounds perfect to me. Happy trails.

Quote:
Sorry I can't come along; I'm out of town this weekend. The offer to help with the interior demolition still stands.
I dunno if it'll be this weekend or next. You in if it's next weekend?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I dunno if it'll be this weekend or next. You in if it's next weekend?
Yep! When and where? PM is fine.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
No clue just yet but I'll let you know.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

I drove mine home, left the fluids. They'll get changed out once she's ready for the road again.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Looks like we are going Monday from Elizabethtown, PA. Leave around 6am, get there around 1pm, whatever paperwork, and back on the road hopefully by 2pm. Only question now is which Monday; 3rd or the 10th? As I'm paying for storage starting the 1st, I guess I should go this Monday.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ill be in COlumbusd Ohio sat for a funeral, thebn a business meeting monday... then free after.. not sure if that helps you or not for getting your bus hime? but of course im always up for a bus ride

I love driving these things.. in orlando now, finishing some work, then drivi9ng to charlotte today then Cbus tomorrow..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ill be in COlumbusd Ohio sat for a funeral, thebn a business meeting monday... then free after.. not sure if that helps you or not for getting your bus hime? but of course im always up for a bus ride

I love driving these things.. in orlando now, finishing some work, then drivi9ng to charlotte today then Cbus tomorrow..
-Christopher
You heading back to FL after that? Love to meet you but Columbus while close is still not just across the river. 140 miles. What time is your meeting done?

I gotta stop at Hillbilly Hotdogs and Coonskin Park before heading back.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:

-Christopher
Watch the weather, guys. I'm supposed to be driving DC-NYC tomorrow and NYC-NH Saturday and I'm looking at inch-an-hour rain for the first leg and 10" of wet snow for the 2nd.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Watch the weather, guys. I'm supposed to be driving DC-NYC tomorrow and NYC-NH Saturday and I'm looking at inch-an-hour rain for the first leg and 10" of wet snow for the 2nd.
Ouch, thx for the heads up. Hopefully it'll have blown thru by then? Haven't looked.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Bout time you got that bus bob, been waiting for you. Congrats hope it runs great

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #17
Bus Geek

I hit some Crazy rain today driving from charlotte to columbus today... I definitely need my windshield re-sealed...

and i really want refrigerated Defrost!!! I ran the A/C and heat at the same time to keep the windows from fogging.. but my T-444E never ran hot today
-Christopher
Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 AM   #18
Bus Geek

The picture is pre-wreck. Someone know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
I hit some Crazy rain today driving from charlotte to columbus today... I definitely need my windshield re-sealed...

and i really want refrigerated Defrost!!! I ran the A/C and heat at the same time to keep the windows from fogging.. but my T-444E never ran hot today
-Christopher
No crazy rain but a wet trip nonetheless.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #20
Bus Geek

wreck?? you crashed your bus?