Originally Posted by hanaiapa View Post
What happened?

Save
Dry rot happened!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #12
Bus Nut

tires are date coded

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f33/ti...hem-16496.html

or Google "tire date code" and become an instant expert. I can't quickly find whether commercial trucks are required to change out tires at a certain age; I'm sure others will chime in. There are LOTS of buses out there that have acceptable or better tread gut the tires are suspicious simply due to age. Sun and air pollution are the main culprits but even if it's been kept in a bottle old tires can be bad mojo.

At least check the codes, know the age, and plan your budget accordingly.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I suggest you leave LA very early in the morning, long before the morning "rush hour", then you'll be over the Grapevine before it gets hot. Climb at a 3/4 throttle and about 1800 RPM to prevent lugging the engine. The northbound descent is several continuous miles of 6%, so use the Jake if it has one. If no Jake, descend no faster than you climbed. Respect the Grapevine - it's not high by Rocky Mountains standards, but many trucks have got into trouble on it.

Or if I-5 bores you, take 101 instead - it's much nicer scenery, good Danish pancakes in Solvang, but it may be slow though San Jose.

Have fun!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Engine: Cummins NH220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I suggest you leave LA very early in the morning, long before the morning "rush hour", then you'll be over the Grapevine before it gets hot. Climb at a 3/4 throttle and about 1800 RPM to prevent lugging the engine. The northbound descent is several continuous miles of 6%, so use the Jake if it has one. If no Jake, descend no faster than you climbed. Respect the Grapevine - it's not high by Rocky Mountains standards, but many trucks have got into trouble on it.

Or if I-5 bores you, take 101 instead - it's much nicer scenery, good Danish pancakes in Solvang, but it may be slow though San Jose.

Have fun!

John
Thanks a lot. Great advice guys. I ll check the tires and be extra careful in the hills.
hanaiapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1972, crown, cummins, trip