Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
My biggest learning curve but, most useful tool has been welding.
Right on, I actually signed up for some classes at Indianapolis Art Center that start in March--welding and blacksmithing--in preparation for the build. Agree that spending that extra bit for quality materials will pay off in the end...part of the reason this is on hold, don't want to put it together with bubblegum and baling wire. Not that there's anything wrong with that approach, but I aim to build something that will last a while and isn't in constant need of maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonce4 View Post
closed door = open window so good luck on the job thing... I will be bartering my way through the more complicated process of the conversion...just got my bus and was more than excited to find this site ... have already learned sooooo much even before removing the seats...happy trails!
For sure! It just happened so I'm still a bit rocked, but trying to keep it positive and looking for new and different opportunities. When you say you'll be bartering your way through the conversion are you talking about the work, the materials, or all of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Sucks about your job, but doesn't mean you need to stop planning/learning the skills. Someone mentioned welding class- may lead you into very lucrative career. Carpentry, electrician- same.

Somefolks on the board have gotten busses for free- or close to it (CB EC). Even if a beater, fix it up, sell and get one you want..ie stepping stones, I call it.

Help other people on their builds and learn on their conversion. This could end-up an actual home for a single young person.

Good luck, read read read.
Yeah, I talked to my cousin--who's a plumber--about maybe getting into that field. Gives me a job and expands my skills. Taking a welding and a blacksmithing class in March, that might open some doors too. I still plan to research and learn what I can, but the timeline is pretty much shot...goal was to find my bus in the next month or two and start the tear down in May. Good advice on helping others with their build!

Anyone building in IN?!
his_dudeness1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
[QUOTE=Rusty;186174]You think you have a problem? Mine isn't just limited to buses. It's auctions, in general.

what is your favorite auction site? I'm a bit of a collector myself...
Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
GovLiq used to be the big player, but they lost DRMO contract to GovPlanet. GovDeals will have 2nd hand military stuff municipalities are done with.

The one thing I noticed is that whatever the item is, it looks small on my computer screen but is very large and heavy in real life.

Buying military auction items is a GREAT way to become single.