Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: Mini bird
Engine: 5.7 chevy
Rated Cap: 24 passenger
Food truck

I’m relatively new here, looks like I’m the only one to do a bus into food truck. There’s probably a reason for that. Lots of additional regs I’ve got to deal with. Let alone raise and straighten a 7’ section of the roof for my hood vent. I’ve been working on it for a few months hoping to open in late August early September. Keeping it school bus colors the menu will have school related names ie the home room, or the fire drill, etc. it’s at the welders now hopefully have it back next week. Trying to figure out how to post pictures??

Fillbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:42 AM   #2

I am possibly 1 day away from buying my bus to do this too! We should definitely connect about the process. I am doing a pizza bus, so mine is honestly pretty simple as far as kitchen etc. Only cooking equipment will be the pizza oven, regular deck style, and I can vent it out with a pipe. I am in NV, requirements are min 6' inside height so without needing a hood I should be good. I am going to DIY the whole thing top to bottom, I can't wait. I've been researching things non stop about installation etc. Water pumps and heaters, propane, mounting everything, water tanks and gaskets and plumbing... You know! Then, getting the thing insured, registered, converted, re-registered, etc. Getting (hopefully) a Thomas 24 passenger, handicap, 7 window. I'm crazy anxious, if I get this thing there's no turning back!
Got any photos of yours?
IzzysPizzaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800 Carpenter
Engine: DT360 / AT545
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
I was in Huntsville, AL a few months ago. There is a mexican food truck bus there. Of course I had to stop and try it out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taco-Bus/159852460728280
oredigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there is a guy in the northeast who is moving to florida who has his bus just about built.. it is called the groovy grill bus.. he might be a source of info for you.

https://www.facebook.com/GroovyGrill2016/

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: Mini bird
Engine: 5.7 chevy
Rated Cap: 24 passenger
Hey briznitch
Glad there is another skoolie food trucker on here. Definitely have to keep in touch. I was hoping to be open next week but I am dreadfully way behind schedule. Probably be mid September. I can’t believe you don’t need a hood vent. I should have gone the pizza route. Lol. There’s a bunch of hurdles to jump over here In Tennessee. Hoping things go smoothly for you.
Attached Thumbnails
B3B3B9F5-1C2B-44AE-A281-A46540DC599E.jpg   AF5A66B2-9760-4276-9CC5-FFB70D1D56CF.jpg   46753C08-A061-48DA-8671-E32EA38E8BE9.jpg   C09510FA-47AD-41D3-AF9D-E9DC7AD4C6A7.jpg   120E46CC-C2F2-4C6A-B626-8338CF8336E0.jpg  

FD9CE34A-038C-4215-826E-E7487B58F4CF.jpg   59A6E252-4833-41F5-A8D3-AC9F3450CC2C.jpg   E4C76019-A0BB-424E-A460-CAA028AA065A.jpg  
Fillbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:48 PM   #6

Any updates?

I am curious to find out how everything turned out with these food bus ideas? I saw one in the Bronx and thought it wpuld be cool to build one but I live in California and don't know hiw I would go about it with thus stare having such strict laws.
titosfoodshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:01 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
I saw a bus down in Alabama about a year ago now. It was in a Dollar General parking lot and was a mobile mexican restaurant. Half was set up as a kitchen and half was seating, with an awning and more seating outside. Lost the photos when I lost the phone, but it was a pretty cool idea, and seemed to be working just fine for them. Food was good at least.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:58 PM   #8

Sounds like a great idea. I just don't see any food buses other than the oizza bus in NYC. There's probably a good reason why folk don't use buses to serve food.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:04 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by titosfoodshack View Post
Sounds like a great idea. I just don't see any food buses other than the oizza bus in NYC. There's probably a good reason why folk don't use buses to serve food.
There's not, they just didn't think of it.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:50 PM   #10
Bus Geek

theres a member here building a complete coffee shop in a crown.. last pics he posted were quite impressive!!
Old 01-19-2024, 07:38 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
The Cheesy School Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by titosfoodshack View Post
I am curious to find out how everything turned out with these food bus ideas? I saw one in the Bronx and thought it wpuld be cool to build one but I live in California and don't know hiw I would go about it with thus stare having such strict laws.
------------------------

Phillip Bernier, founder & builder of The Cheesy School Bus, is a longtime resident of Greeneville, TN. The items on his menu are named after school related terms. One of which, the ‘Fire Drill’, is comprised of Buffalo Chicken, Jalapenos and Pepper-jack cheese. Then there's the ‘Teacher’s Pet’ which is classic Mac and Cheese. He also serves soups and other items that are complementary to his grilled cheese selections.

Phillip is well known for keeping the Cheesy School Bus kitchen & equipment clean and sterile. A practice he adopted from his a long career as a Sterile Processing Technician at Takoma Regional Hospital.

🧀He & his food truck are still active. Look for them on Facebook, Yelp, Nextdoor...
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 04:46 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Food trucks around here must be serviced by a commissary/ restaurant. A home kitchen does not qualify, and the truck can not stand on its own, meaning that even fully equiped it must get water and dump dirty water at a commissary. Check your local laws first.

Must say a skoolie does give a good starting point because with metal walls and ceiling, that complies with the health code for washable surfaces.

We are trying to get a railroad car set up for a coffee shop, and that has the health department all confused, and saying no as much as they can... It does not fit what they think should be a food truck, nor is it a building. Oh what fun.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM   #13

A railcar coffee shop sounds awesome. I don't see why the health department make such a big deal about it. As long as it meets all the health requirements, who cares what it is. Hopefully you get it done.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:30 PM   #14

I looked them up and the bus looks great. They have an awesome concept there.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:52 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Food trucks around here must be serviced by a commissary/ restaurant. A home kitchen does not qualify, and the truck can not stand on its own, meaning that even fully equiped it must get water and dump dirty water at a commissary. Check your local laws first.

Must say a skoolie does give a good starting point because with metal walls and ceiling, that complies with the health code for washable surfaces.

We are trying to get a railroad car set up for a coffee shop, and that has the health department all confused, and saying no as much as they can... It does not fit what they think should be a food truck, nor is it a building. Oh what fun.
...Is this where I say, "all to be expected from a state where you can't buy alcohol at a proper liquor store"?
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 07:01 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post

interesting on free standing... we have a lot of free standing food trucks here at festivals.. they have to meet kitchen codes with sanitizing and hand washing sinks etc, circulating hoods for any grills or fryers, cases for all food due to the likiliehood of flying insects in summer.. at larger festivals typically the venue will provide water and often times even drain tanks behind the trucks so they can stay all weekend or week-long and not have to drive out to drain and fill their tanks.. ..

a railcar coffeehouse sounds like a neat thing! ive been in one that is a double decker bus.. i think that was in asheville.. the bus was permanently located, however to maintain its status as a food truck vs a restaraunt, the bus has to run and drive each year.. so the double decker was driveable even though they only did it just to pass inspection...

as a dine-in restaraunt it woulve been required to have a permanent plumbing, a restroom for customers, grease trap, fire alarm system, and something else i cant remember what they said..
Old 01-21-2024, 04:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
interesting on free standing... we have a lot of free standing food trucks here at festivals.. they have to meet kitchen codes with sanitizing and hand washing sinks etc, circulating hoods for any grills or fryers, cases for all food due to the likiliehood of flying insects in summer.. at larger festivals typically the venue will provide water and often times even drain tanks behind the trucks so they can stay all weekend or week-long and not have to drive out to drain and fill their tanks.. ..

a railcar coffeehouse sounds like a neat thing! ive been in one that is a double decker bus.. i think that was in asheville.. the bus was permanently located, however to maintain its status as a food truck vs a restaraunt, the bus has to run and drive each year.. so the double decker was driveable even though they only did it just to pass inspection...

as a dine-in restaraunt it woulve been required to have a permanent plumbing, a restroom for customers, grease trap, fire alarm system, and something else i cant remember what they said..
Very good insight. Thank you bro. I will contact the DMV tomorrow to see if they will allow me commercial registration on a school bus for the purpose of selling food.