Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: International 1800 DT 466
Found a bus it's halfway converted

Hey I just went and looked at a bus today that I'm feeling pretty good about. It's about halfway converted

1990 International 3800
DT466E turbo Diesel motor with only 139,000 miles on it runs flawlessly.
Allison Transmission shifts smooth through all gears
New fuel/water separator
New fuel filter
New Air filter
recent oil change/ lubed chassis

Thoughts? Guidance on this make and model?

Minimalvagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I feel like I should point out that the DT466E did not launch until 1994 so either it's not a DT466E or they've swapped the engine.

It very well would be a DT466 (no E) which is the mechanical predecessor.

Also, Allison makes a lot of transmissions, and they're not all as desirable as each other. If it's a 545 (or 542 like me!) they work OK but nobody prefers them. Clarify which one it is and if you can get the rear end ratio that will help you determine its highway capability.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I feel like I should point out that the DT466E did not launch until 1994 so either it's not a DT466E or they've swapped the engine.

It very well would be a DT466 (no E) which is the mechanical predecessor.

Also, Allison makes a lot of transmissions, and they're not all as desirable as each other. If it's a 545 (or 542 like me!) they work OK but nobody prefers them. Clarify which one it is and if you can get the rear end ratio that will help you determine its highway capability.
Thank you for this. When I was solely looking up the engine, there was that inconsistency with the date and engine model. I'll ask about the tranny too.
Problem is I'm a lady who know very little mechanically. 😒
Old 09-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Well one of the many positives about school buses is there is a pretty small number of combinations used in making them, so just about anything you might run into you should be able to find good resources on. Let us know what you find out!
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #5

Anxiety

I’ve been wanting to do this a while and now that I’ve found a bus (haven’t purchased yet) I’m researching deeper and deeper into everything. It’s just me by myself and am sort of not person of skills...but am learning and open to learning.
I just want some affirmation that I’m not getting in over my head! I have NO ONE to bounce ideas off of and no one who is full on supporting my wanting to do this - which has unwavered despite the lack of support. I just need a pat on my back and told I CAN do this!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalvagabond View Post
I’ve been wanting to do this a while and now that I’ve found a bus (haven’t purchased yet) I’m researching deeper and deeper into everything. It’s just me by myself and am sort of not person of skills...but am learning and open to learning.
I just want some affirmation that I’m not getting in over my head! I have NO ONE to bounce ideas off of and no one who is full on supporting my wanting to do this - which has unwavered despite the lack of support. I just need a pat on my back and told I CAN do this!
Sit in your bus in many different spots and imagine the layout and what you will need to do 1st. You might tear out quite a bit that you have already installed after you develop skills. Home Depot etc put on training seminars. Just convert it to your bus. YOU CAN DO IT.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
The biggest disastrous issue I see people run into with bus projects is not having a place they can keep the bus and park it. Especially in cities, space is tight and buses are big.

The biggest challenge IMO is the parking spot.

You are doing good by taking your time a researching it. Once you get a good solid bus to work with stuff is not that hard if you can take your time and keep your head on.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
*Pats you on the back* "You CAN do this!"

How's that? You have us on this forum to bounce ideas off of, and the advantage to that is many of us are quite knowledgeable in our own areas. Many of us have "Been There, Done That" and we can share our collective experiences, both the good and the bad. Most of us won't say "Don't do that!" blindly, but as often as not we will explain why you shouldn't do something. Most of us believe in providing you the knowledge to make an informed decision about something, be it the bus you are considering purchasing, how to fix something (and avoid doing further harm), and many ideas about what you plan to build.

"You CAN do this!"
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #9

Thank you so much for the little decision booster. I live in the country and it’s a shortie bus (5 window length) so I have a spot lined up for her as I work on her. That makes me feel good that I have that covered. And I’m imagining You were referring to parking a biggie in the city. I can’t imagine managing that one!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
*Pats you on the back* "You CAN do this!"

How's that? You have us on this forum to bounce ideas off of, and the advantage to that is many of us are quite knowledgeable in our own areas. Many of us have "Been There, Done That" and we can share our collective experiences, both the good and the bad. Most of us won't say "Don't do that!" blindly, but as often as not we will explain why you shouldn't do something. Most of us believe in providing you the knowledge to make an informed decision about something, be it the bus you are considering purchasing, how to fix something (and avoid doing further harm), and many ideas about what you plan to build.

"You CAN do this!"
Thank you. You have to imagine a single woman as myself...is having a hard time conjuring up support in this decision. Adding to it my lack of large income...
I have been going through all the prices of the things that need to be done-mind you this bus has already been half converted-and need to not get in over my wee little head 😬
Thanks y’all
Old 09-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
I have been going through all the prices of the things that need to be done-mind you this bus has already been half converted-and need to not get in over my wee little head 😬
Got any pictures?? What did you decide? Are you going to be a lurker or a broke skoolie owner like us?

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You can do this. I'm doing it and I'm a single lady. I just take one day and one problem at a time. My motto lately...never give up, never surrender!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk