future fulltimers checking in
Hello everyone. We are a couple in our early 30s looking to build a skoolie for full-time mobile living. This forum have been invaluable as we research bus builds.
We are avid backpackers and mountain bikers. Here is our wish list for our bus. We realize we won't get all of these ans that they're a bit optimistic.
- rear garage (or at least a side garage) is a must to keep our 2 mountain bikes safe, secure, and out of the way.
- reliable, strong, low maintenance drivetrain (we can dream)
- rust free
- able to cruise at 70mph comfortably
- high ground clearance is a plus, since we travel on a lot of dirt roads
- we will be towing a 4,000 lb 4x4 toad
- no blackwater tank, we will use a composting toilet
- lots of solar panels and batteries
- induction burner and solar oven for cooking (no propane or microwave)
- heavily insulated
- small fridge, we dont need a full size fridge
ideas that are still up in the air:
- propane free?
- wood burning stove?
- length? 32 feet seems great
We will be doing a video documentary and build thread of our research, purchase, build, and travel process.
Steve has a decent mechanical background with a good amount of welding and fabrication experience. Tess is a hair stylist with an eye for design and she has exceptional sewing skills. We have a lot to learn about framing, electrical, propane and plumbing among many many more topics.
We are also stuck making the transition from salaried employees to mobile employees. Steve does Instructional Design and eLearning professionally, with a good dose of video production as well.