Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #1

Future Skoolie Toterhome Owner

I spent the last year driving around the eastern US roughing it in my SUV or getting a hotel while racing my UTV. I am on a mission to build a toterhome styled bus. I have just started looking at builds, but I haven't seen anything quite like what I am looking to do.

Most racers that stay at the event venues either have a 1 ton truck and a 38'+ enclosed trailer with a garage and living quarters or a toterhome/trailer combo. The cheaper of these two options outfitted to my liking would be in the $40k+ range and can easily get into $100k+ territory. I'm hoping I can build a skoolie and come in at the much lower price point.

I am still working on what I need in my floorplan, but I am currently thinking that something with 15'-20' of living area will fit my needs. Then I can either pull my offroad toys in a trailer, or I may look into adding a flatbed over the rear axle of a full size bus and chop off whatever I don't need from the rear of the chassis. That would allow me to go without a trailer if I am only taking one vehicle, or hook up to a trailer if I need to take more than one vehicle.

Hoping to get the ball rolling on this thing and have it tested and ready for a coast to coast trip for King of the Hammers early next year. I've been on enough forums to know that everyone loves pictures, so I attached some to give you an idea of why I want a skoolie. Looking forward to picking up some information from the forum and sharing a build.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2017-08-18 at 23.41.24.png   Screenshot 2017-08-18 at 23.37.44.png   Screenshot 2017-08-18 at 23.50.23.png  

squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: FE 300
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 84
Have you got anything going yet? I'm just looking around for ideas. We have similar ideas about living space and towing. I haven't added a bunch of weight to my trailer to see if I am gonna have issues but I love the way having the ball back helps with cornering and adding living space.
johnforrest is offline   Reply With Quote