Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #1

Good morning from VA

Hi everyone, I’m Zeke. I’ve wanted to do a bus conversion for YEARS, and I had no idea it was such a big thing to do. I’m thinking I might try to get one next year and start on it. Theres a guy @ 15min from me that has a conventional (longer nose) bus painted lime green. I like it. I should stop and see if I can ask questions and check it out. But you don’t always know how that will go. Anyway. I think I want a flat nose. But. Things can obviously change later on. I’d like to “take off” 5-6’ from the back of it and make a deck with tie downs for hauling either an atv or a golf cart. Then convert whatever is left. Anyway, I’ve only been here for a little over a week. I haven’t dug deep into the forum yet, but so far, I’m liking what I’m seeing! Hope everyone has a great Friday!

OneGearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Whereabouts in Virginia are you? I'm up in Northern Virginia.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Whereabouts in Virginia are you? I'm up in Northern Virginia.
Down around Harrisonburg. About 15min North of it actually.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I'm in Fredericksburg. Just getting started myself. Welcome!
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Go to the UserCP in the upper left and fill out your profile so we know where you are and what bus you may have. Helps answer questions better. Welcome to the insanity.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I am near Fredericksburg, guess we need to get together us Virginia folks.
Ronnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:38 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGearhead View Post
Down around Harrisonburg. About 15min North of it actually.
About a 2 hour road trip from me. But that said perhaps you can check out M&M Salvage in Ruckersville, just off Route 33. That's where we got our bus and they have quite a selection, though they don't have any full-size flat nose, front engined buses. Of course cheaper to go to the source at the auctions, but since you're on the fence for what configuration to get it may be worth paying them a visit sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
That would be awesome, though I think everyone involved on my end would very much appreciate bolting some seats back in first.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
I'm in Fredericksburg. Just getting started myself. Welcome!
Thanks! How are things working out so far for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Go to the UserCP in the upper left and fill out your profile so we know where you are and what bus you may have. Helps answer questions better. Welcome to the insanity.
No bus yet. Here for ideas and tips/tricks before I make the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I’d be okay with that! I work a lot though. 12 and 19 days on at a time. Gotta pay the bills somehow. Haha.

Quote:
About a 2 hour road trip from me. But that said perhaps you can check out M&M Salvage in Ruckersville, just off Route 33. That's where we got our bus and they have quite a selection, though they don't have any full-size flat nose, front engined buses. Of course cheaper to go to the source at the auctions, but since you're on the fence for what configuration to get it may be worth paying them a visit sometime.

That would be awesome, though I think everyone involved on my end would very much appreciate bolting some seats back in first.
I think thats the place I’ve seen on CL a lot. A very nice selection. Flat nose, front engine? Didn’t know they made such a thing. I thought all flats were rear engine. Maybe I will make a trip over and check them out. My buddy said when they do the county auctions, they sell busses for CHEAP. M&M probably buys them like that, then mark them up for resale and make a ton of profit on them for not much work.

Seats are a minor detail. Give them a milk crate and pray their core muscles are in good condition. Lol
Old 12-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGearhead View Post
I think thats the place I’ve seen on CL a lot. A very nice selection. Flat nose, front engine? Didn’t know they made such a thing. I thought all flats were rear engine. Maybe I will make a trip over and check them out. My buddy said when they do the county auctions, they sell busses for CHEAP. M&M probably buys them like that, then mark them up for resale and make a ton of profit on them for not much work.
Yup Criagslist is how I found them. Seems to be a huge part of their business now for that exact business model. They will ensure the bus is roadworthy when they sell you it with a fresh safety sticker, or offer you a different bus.

As for the source, Loudoun County uses publicsurplus.com and that makes up a third of M&M's stock, and nearly all of their flat nose offerings.

Yes flat nose, front engine is a thing, a fairly common thing. I see a lot of them on GovDeals. Turned my nose up at quite a few Blue Birds just because they were front engined, I wanted rear for better maintenance accessibility. M&M has two short Thomas Builts, but they have CAT C7s, which I don't recommend unless you know a good CAT guy or have access to CAT software. And decent pockets.

Quote:
Seats are a minor detail. Give them a milk crate and pray their core muscles are in good condition. Lol
I'll let them know that's how we'll do it then
Old 12-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Yup Criagslist is how I found them. Seems to be a huge part of their business now for that exact business model. They will ensure the bus is roadworthy when they sell you it with a fresh safety sticker, or offer you a different bus.

As for the source, Loudoun County uses publicsurplus.com and that makes up a third of M&M's stock, and nearly all of their flat nose offerings.

Yes flat nose, front engine is a thing, a fairly common thing. I see a lot of them on GovDeals. Turned my nose up at quite a few Blue Birds just because they were front engined, I wanted rear for better maintenance accessibility. M&M has two short Thomas Builts, but they have CAT C7s, which I don't recommend unless you know a good CAT guy or have access to CAT software. And decent pockets.

I'll let them know that's how we'll do it then
Well then. That is pretty cool of them to do that instead of just jacking the price up on an “as is” condition.

I don’t know who Rockingham Co uses. I’ll have to talk to my buddy and find out. I’m sure he knows off the top of his head.

I’m with you. Thats why I want a flattie, with a rear engine setup. I know people, that could help me out with stuff like that, but, ease and simplicity will definitely outweigh other options here, along with not going broke doing this. Haha

That’s their problem, not mine, so, good luck with that!
Old 12-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #11
Skoolie

Glad to see more VA folks. I'm about 2-2.5 hours south of Harrisonburg.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote