Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Who determines what is self contained? I doubt the truck driver that shows up wants to not make your tow. When you are asked if it is self contained them tell them it is. I drove a tow truck years ago but not the bigger rigs. When i drove all the way to the tow sight and then didn't do the tow ; then i lost money.
When I had my bus towed AAA called the tow place and told them that my bus was most likely not an "RV". the owner of the tow company called me and asked what "improvements have been made to the bus ?". I told him it was full converted no seats, water, bed, etc.

The owner of the tow company did not care, but.. AAA called him and tried to get him to not tow me. The info I gave him was good enough for him.
Mileage may vary play at your own risk.

ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I have Good Sams - with Roadside assistance - they will tow. I asked them specifically about my converted School bus - and they said no problem. Fortunately, I have never needed it - but they said a converted School Bus is easier to tow than an RV.

I would love to hear any stories using Good Sams - but I am happy so far with the discounts.
Do they require the title of your skoolie? to show its titled as RV?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Me too - I have Good Sam and AAA, and I also have a Pro-Link scanner to read my engine.

Last year I needed a tow when my brand-new hydraulic fan motor split during its first test-drive (long story . . .), and Good Sam sent a big heavy-duty wrecker tow truck to take me the six miles back to the RV yard. It took a few hours until it showed up, but I can't blame Good Sam for that - there aren't many triple-axle wreckers in Orange County. All things considered, no complaints with the service from Good Sam. However, I recently got a letter from them saying that I would need to upgrade to their more expensive Plutonium service if I wished to continue my coverage. AAA says that they can tow for up to 100 miles, but Good Sam tows only to the nearest repair facility. If I tell the Good Sam phone wallah that the only repair facility that can work on my Crown is ABC Bus in Costa Mesa (they've done two jobs for me there), then they should believe me and tow it there - I just don't want them taking it only as far as the nearest truck mechanic.

John
When you sign up for them do they require you to show them title as RV? also do they require pictures? I am picking up my crown and going from Riverside to Missouri this coming week. It won't have seats on it only driver seat and maybe 2 of the originals.
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:04 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Do they require the title of your skoolie? to show its titled as RV?

I did not have to show a title or send pictures. But I would be honest - if it is not titled as a Motorhome and you say it is - that could negate the policy.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I did not have to show a title or send pictures. But I would be honest - if it is not titled as a Motorhome and you say it is - that could negate the policy.
We just upgraded our AAA Premier to include RV coverage. I asked if they needed the license number or information on our RV and they said no. The policy covers us no matter what RV we are in (ours, rented, borrowed, etc), just like the regular AAA coverage for automobiles. I did not mention we had a skoolie, but since it is titled and registered as a Motorhome I don't see any reason to be worried.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
I was researching AAA vs Good Sams and I noticed Good Sams is having a sale right now $119 for Platinum Complete Auto + RV. Site says its half price but I have never checked it before. I went ahead and pulled the trigger myself
https://www.goodsamroadside.com/rv/p...ex.cfm#myModal
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Is Goodsam still covering skoolie to RVs?
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
I have GoodSams and am currently in touch with them. They will send a tow truck if I can't limp to town. They worked very hard to find this odd size tire for me with no luck. They offered to call the highway patrol. Even offered to order and send me food. There's no question in my mind They are trying to help me in every way possible.

I'll keep them.
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:58 PM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post
I have GoodSams and am currently in touch with them. They will send a tow truck if I can't limp to town. They worked very hard to find this odd size tire for me with no luck. They offered to call the highway patrol. Even offered to order and send me food. There's no question in my mind They are trying to help me in every way possible.

I'll keep them.
That's awesome. I keep hearing that they're not doing it anymore so I wasn't sure. Did you need anything when you signed up? My bus isn't converted yet, but I just want to have something for when I go pick it up.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
I have the platinim service and purchased it a year ago. They know I have a converted schoolbus. I signed up originally calling my bus a Wanderlodge because it was closer than any of the other choices.

When they answered my call, they hit me with a list of questions to help define who I was and what kind of distress was in. I tell them straight up I'm in a converted schoolbus titled as a motorhome. They never question me.
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote