Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Int'l Harvester
Chassis: Not sure
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: not sure
Good Sams or AAA

1983 IH registered as an RV in KY.

For roadside assistance programs for a skoolie, who do you guys use and recommend?

Also, anything I should not say or anything I should NOT say when getting a quote or even getting them to be willing to cover it?

Good Sams, AAA, or a company that specializes in skoolie buses??

Finally, what are some "gotchas" or prices you guys getting and have you been happy?

Thanks for any help.

City of New Orleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Bus Nut

When I first bought my bus I had it towed. I had AAA RV+, When I called AAA they tried to have the bus disqualified so they would not have to tow it.

Paying dues for years then.. they tried to tell me my bus was not a real RV. They called the owner of the tow company and told him it was not an RV and told him that he would likely need to charge me for the tow.
The tow company owner was legit and towed the bus and charged AAA.

AAA has really gone down hill. People are waiting 3-5 hours for tows and maybe.. ? they will tow a school bus ?
They have not even been sending our new cards every year we have to call them and then get them 3 months later. We do get their junk mail.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

No one has Good Sams roadside coverage?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I have Good Sams - with Roadside assistance - they will tow. I asked them specifically about my converted School bus - and they said no problem. Fortunately, I have never needed it - but they said a converted School Bus is easier to tow than an RV.

I would love to hear any stories using Good Sams - but I am happy so far with the discounts.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I have Good Sams - with Roadside assistance - they will tow. I asked them specifically about my converted School bus - and they said no problem. Fortunately, I have never needed it - but they said a converted School Bus is easier to tow than an RV.

I would love to hear any stories using Good Sams - but I am happy so far with the discounts.
Thanks for the info. I will call them tomorrow and sign up.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Howdy and Welcome CofNO!

I have had Good Sam RA for several years. I've only used it once (this past spring due to a tire blowout). They were a big help and eliminated the stress for me (but I still had to pay for the repair). Watching the roadside assistance threads on various forums, it seems they all have good and bad reports.

It appears to me that the bulk of the reported problems are either due to the area that the event occurs (whether or not the assistance program has contractors in the area) and how good the contractors are. If a goofball service guy/tow truck company shows up, the assistance program is likely to take the wrap (which should cause them to drop the poor contractor, but I don't know if that happens). That said, I doubt any of them are in the business to lose money.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of New Orleans View Post
No one has Good Sams roadside coverage?
I bought Good Sam about 3 weeks before I picked the bus up because they say they cover converted buses. Yesterday my son called and they said they wouldn't help if it wasn't fully converted with tanks and all that.

I need to call and verify that today I suppose, but I was very disappointed. If they will tow a bus with a lot of heavy tanks etc, why would they not tow a lighter bus? With the seats, ceiling, floor and insulation out Mobi only weighs 17,800 pounds per the CAT scale. 6K on the front and the balance on the rear axle. And roadside assistance like jumping or tire changing is the same or easier. There are fewer things to go wrong but you pay the same price. Am I missing something?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
In my line work of work; every letter, number, and character matter. I would read their statement exactly according to what you have found. "Converted" is past tense - a thing that has been done. Why not all busses? I certainly do not know but I can guess. Perhaps it has to do with commercial operation/license/registration vs personal?

In a different thread you said "the expensive Good Sam roadside assistance" so you may have something different than the standard Good Sam Roadside Assistance (https://www.goodsamroadside.com) that I mentioned above. It is only something like $90 per year.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
In my line work of work; every letter, number, and character matter. I would read their statement exactly according to what you have found. "Converted" is past tense - a thing that has been done. Why not all busses? I certainly do not know but I can guess. Perhaps it has to do with commercial operation/license/registration vs personal?

In a different thread you said "the expensive Good Sam roadside assistance" so you may have something different than the standard Good Sam Roadside Assistance (https://www.goodsamroadside.com) that I mentioned above. It is only something like $90 per year.
You have to get the Platinum product to get RV service and they charge you by the hour for the call plus parts and labor, so it's not like AAA for your car where you pay and they come out and do certain things free. My bus has all the seats removed already so it can't possibly be used for normal commercial purposes. Some people want to say it's converted so they won't cover it because the seats are out, and others want to say it's not converted so they won't cover it because it doesn't have a sink and tanks and all. The thing is, it takes some time to actually DO the conversion, and it needs to be covered the whole time if I want to be able to drive it at all.

I can register it as out of service, although I'm supposed to get a peace officer fill out my VIN verification form to be able to do that. *If* it starts today, I can drive to the local substation and beg for them to come out to the parking lot and fill out the form for me. I think my odds are decent that they will do it. Then I can register it without taking the bus down and getting it inspected. I am exempt from smog where I live for multiple reasons. If I don't actually have Good Sam service despite paying for it, and if Progressive may cancel me at any minute as has happened to MANY people, I might as well register as out of service until it's fully converted. I wish I had more clarity about the ACTUAL, definite coverage information for both of those products. There seems to be a decided lack of agreement among people that work in those companies as to what is and isn't covered.

It would REALLY be handy to be able to drive to bus to get supplies though as I do not have a vehicle that will carry 4x8 sheets of plywood etc aside from the bus. I have one more week on my Oregon trip permit, but I really don't want to have to store all the large supplies in my garage if I don't have to. I guess that would mostly be the large sheets of plywood, framing, and insulation. If everything else will fit in a SUV, maybe that's the best option?
Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
i have coach net, but you have to be fully contained , meaning all the tanks etc, I also have CAA rv premier , and you have to be fully contained. you have to know that if you break down and call them, they will only tow you to the nearest repair shop, if that shop can't help you, will have to get another tow, which means you have to either pay for the next two or have another roadside service.
gbstewart
Old 03-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I have both Good Sam's and AAA. It isn't that much money and if one outfit doesn't have the right tow equipment in a particular location the other likely will. I also carry my own dealer level diagnostic device just to hedge the bet when my bus gets dumped at the first repair shop that shows up on the horizon.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Coach-net.
Attached Thumbnails
Coachnet skoolie 2.jpg  
Old 03-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #13
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
It would REALLY be handy to be able to drive to bus to get supplies though as I do not have a vehicle that will carry 4x8 sheets of plywood etc aside from the bus.
Not only that, but the bus would really be better off mechanically to be driven several times a month far enough to heat the engine oil enough to evaporate condensation. Plus it may help discourage critters from setting up home in your bus.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Coach-net.
What's the definition of "self-contained"?

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I have both Good Sam's and AAA. It isn't that much money and if one outfit doesn't have the right tow equipment in a particular location the other likely will. I also carry my own dealer level diagnostic device just to hedge the bet when my bus gets dumped at the first repair shop that shows up on the horizon.
Jack
Me too - I have Good Sam and AAA, and I also have a Pro-Link scanner to read my engine.

Last year I needed a tow when my brand-new hydraulic fan motor split during its first test-drive (long story . . .), and Good Sam sent a big heavy-duty wrecker tow truck to take me the six miles back to the RV yard. It took a few hours until it showed up, but I can't blame Good Sam for that - there aren't many triple-axle wreckers in Orange County. All things considered, no complaints with the service from Good Sam. However, I recently got a letter from them saying that I would need to upgrade to their more expensive Plutonium service if I wished to continue my coverage. AAA says that they can tow for up to 100 miles, but Good Sam tows only to the nearest repair facility. If I tell the Good Sam phone wallah that the only repair facility that can work on my Crown is ABC Bus in Costa Mesa (they've done two jobs for me there), then they should believe me and tow it there - I just don't want them taking it only as far as the nearest truck mechanic.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:25 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Jack
I am picking up a 1978 crown in California and driving back to Missouri this coming week. The bus has the seats out but it won't be converted until I get it to Missouri. The title is Automobile, Bus Body. It's empty weight is 20k lbs would these or any services be available for my bus? Or do I have to have an RV title?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Who determines what is self contained? I doubt the truck driver that shows up wants to not make your tow. When you are asked if it is self contained them tell them it is. I drove a tow truck years ago but not the bigger rigs. When i drove all the way to the tow sight and then didn't do the tow ; then i lost money.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Who determines what is self contained? I doubt the truck driver that shows up wants to not make your tow. When you are asked if it is self contained them tell them it is. I drove a tow truck years ago but not the bigger rigs. When i drove all the way to the tow sight and then didn't do the tow ; then i lost money.
Would the road side service not require pictures or proof your bus is converted and self contained?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Would the road side service not require pictures or proof your bus is converted and self contained?
No, not to buy it they don't require pics. The person that shows up wants to tow you. I'm female so I am relying on the same approach I use to get out of tickets. Southern accent, very polite, cry if necessary, and boobs. I have no idea what men are supposed to do. Tip? I told my son to just plan on getting the ticket if he got stopped. My grandfather drove a wrecker at night and on the weekends. The police scanner was always on at his house so I can also suck up a little with that. If there were an actual reason that it made a difference and it involved safety, it would be different- but I cannot think of a single reason that having water tanks etc would make towing my bus be safer or easier to tow. My seats are out so it only weighs 18K and it's balanced left/right although not front back. It's 12k rear and 6k front but it's going to be pretty unbalanced front rear when it's done too. I have a pusher and the auto chains are on the rear wheels. I don't know why they have that rule at all.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
12k rear and 6k front is pretty well-balanced.

It's half the axle weight on each axle.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote