Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66
Greetings and first question from Knoxville, TN

Hello, forum! What a wonderful resource this is. I'm excited to be part of it. My partner and I are in the very early/planning stages of skoolie life. Right now, we're working on making our jobs location independent. We hope to buy a bus in the next month or so and convert it to live in full-time with our two dogs. We currently live in Knoxville and have a good place to work on the conversion, as well as lots of friends and connections here who can offer help (which I'm sure we'll need!). We're so excited to get started!

Here is my first question, for all the fellow East Tennesseans out there: Do you have any personal recommendations for regional bus lots, sellers, school districts, etc. from which to buy our bus?

From what I understand, in Knox County the school buses are operated (and owned) by independent contractors, so all school buses for sale are sold by private sellers. Are there advantages/disadvantages to buying from private sellers vs. directly from school districts?

Thank you! So happy to be here.
-Moriah

Moriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome!

I about as far from Tennessee as you can get in the lower 48 but I can tell you that many school districts will not allow you to test drive while private sellers are more likely to let you.

One local school district here will drive you around their parking lot but that is it.

First Students, which is a large private contractor, has taken me out on the road and done all of the things that I would do on a test drive but with their driver at the wheel.

Most private individual sellers and dealers will allow you to test drive.

Buying directly from a school district you are more likely to have access to maintenance records.

Hope that helps.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #3

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Welcome!

I about as far from Tennessee as you can get in the lower 48 but I can tell you that many school districts will not allow you to test drive while private sellers are more likely to let you.

One local school district here will drive you around their parking lot but that is it.

First Students, which is a large private contractor, has taken me out on the road and done all of the things that I would do on a test drive but with their driver at the wheel.

Most private individual sellers and dealers will allow you to test drive.

Buying directly from a school district you are more likely to have access to maintenance records.

Hope that helps.
Very helpful! We hadn't thought about the test drive issue.
Moriah is offline   Reply With Quote