Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Greetings from Central Florida

Hey guys, I only recently discovered bus conversions and am intrigued by the idea. I've never liked traditional RV's, I work on them sometimes, and the quality of the fit and finish is always far below what I would consider acceptable. The reason I am looking for a mobile home is that I desire to travel after nearly 35 years in the sunshine state, not married, no kids, just a dog, and therin lies why I'm here. It's just too hard to find affordable housing that will accept dogs over 50lbs, so this seems like a good solution, bring my home with me. I have a vast skill set that I can apply to such a project (mechanical, fabrication, elecrical and plumbling), but lack specific knowledge, hoping you guys can help me fill those gaps.

For starters, I have a question about the Bluebird TC2200 series style buses, I like their cummins engines, lots of good experiences with them, bullet proof and can be tuned for both power and efficiency. Does anyone know if they use a Unibody, and if so, how durable are they to external modifications?

I would like to dedicate the rooftop to both solar and wind energy generation, so my idea is to increase living space by creating two deployable decks that can be folded into the side of the bus between the wheel wells for transit, recessed into the body to avoid excess width.

Thanks for any input you have. E.

jackofallmasterof0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Welcome to the forum! I'm in Florida, as well. And we're having a get together in central FL on Feb 10th (you can find the info here: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f20/ea...tml#post178078)

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

OMG that is fantastic, I will totally be there, with beer, to pick your collective brains, won't have acquired a bus by then, aiming for early March to purchase, then spend 3 to 4 months on the conversion. Where are is the meet up, I'll have to take that Friday off work but it will be so worth it.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
You'll find many like minded folks in Florida

-Thomas
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I look forward to meeting you all, and the chance to maybe get my hands dirty a little and get to know the schoolies better.