Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

Greetings from Nashville---and any advice greatly appreciated!

Hi,

My name is Willy and I live in Nashville, TN. I am debating taking the plunge and buying a 1990 Ford 350 Diesel shuttle with 125,000 miles. Its big- has the rear dual axle. Apparently it was once a church bus. The seats have already been removed from the back and 4 bunks have been installed. They are asking $5000.

Runs good, No AC in the front and the rear AC unit does not work either. My fear is that I get this thing and then am way over my head and maintenance will be super expensive. However, I've always dreamed of buying a big bus/van and converting it into something awesome. Ive read several threads on the forum about this model and people seem to be fond of them and maybe they are pretty reliable? I know nothing about diesels.

Any advice on specifically what to look for and ask before purchase? Thank you very much for any input!!!

-Willy

Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Run away. $5000 for a 25 year old shortie? Yikes!
I paid $1800 for my 96. ( and going by others with similar short buses-that about normal.) Any Ford before 95 is non turbo-and quite underpowered.
Parts ARE more expensive than cars (if your car brake job costs $300 the bus would be $750) but things last longer. Besides-you probably aren't going to be putting 25k a year on it anyways.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

... the new LA
XoT3K is offline   Reply With Quote