Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E-450
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Greetings from San Diego!

Greetings from SD,

TL;DR: 1st time bus owner. No clue what I'm doing (yet). Likes to tinker. More knowledge of electronics and technology than car mechanicals. Open to meeting up with others in and around SD/SoCal. Always ready for adventure.

I just wanted to be polite and introduce myself to the board prior to asking what will most likely be a ridiculous amount of questions on my family's journey towards bus life.

If you happen to live in San Diego (or nearby Southern CA), we would love to meet and get to know more skoolie owners in the area and maybe get together for some bus adventures. Also looking for a reilable mechanic in the area.

I've been lurking on this forum for the last 10 months or so, but my wife and I finally found a nice little short bus to call our own so I figured it's time for me to actually connect with this wonderful community.

We just purchased a 2000 Ford E450 shortie with the 7.3L Powerstroke and just over 150,000. It's a great little bus (so far) for our needs.

Personally, I wanted to do all the renovations myself, but the Mrs. wasn't quite as thrilled with that idea, so we compromised and found one that was partially finished, with the seats were ripped out, some flooring added, bench seating/storage, a counter and sink, and basic queen bed. It fits her need to get camping ASAP without doing so much work, and my desire to keep peace in the house, while still being able to do some customization.

Happy wife, happy life...or something like that.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who's already been posting on this forum and also thanks in advance to everyone for future assistance. I feel like I've learned a lot already but have SO FAR to go.

eyesunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: International Amtran
Engine: Navistar 7.3L
Heyooo. I drove all the way down from Seattle with my family with our skoolie. We are out in east county trying to finish our bus so we can get back on the road.
Poggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site eug.
Sounds like you've got a good jump on the hobby in your recent purchase.
Good luck on finishing out your skoolie, and don't be scared to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty while working on your new "toy"!
It's always more rewarding when you can say "I did it myself"...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggalicious View Post
Heyooo. I drove all the way down from Seattle with my family with our skoolie. We are out in east county trying to finish our bus so we can get back on the road.
That sounds like an interesting trip. I think one of our first extended trips may be the reverse route thru the PNW, possibly into Canada.

I'm in East County as well (LM) and spend a lot of time in EC.

Thanks for reaching out. It's nice to virtually "meet" you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Welcome to the site eug.
Sounds like you've got a good jump on the hobby in your recent purchase.
Good luck on finishing out your skoolie, and don't be scared to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty while working on your new "toy"!
It's always more rewarding when you can say "I did it myself"...
Thanks a lot. I totally agree. I'd rather do things myself when possible. Breaking and fixing things is part of the fun!
Old 09-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: international
I live in San Diego HIIIIIII !!!!!! Yes we need to all get together
Zona_The_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona_The_Bus View Post
I live in San Diego HIIIIIII !!!!!! Yes we need to all get together
We're into it! It would be great to meet up with other skoolie owners locally.

We're also looking for a reliable bus mechanic that we can start to build a relationship with if you have any suggestions.

Maybe an event over at Fiesta Island one of these weekends would draw some of us?
Old 01-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
Hi all.
I'm also a new bus owner and live around SoCal but often drive to San Diego to the dog park at Fiesta Island. Last summer I went to several van meetups there with my Sprinter van and perhaps in the near future can do with the bus. Look forward to following you on here and if anyone cares to swap Intel I'm online Instagram @drivingdharma

Happy converting
sepudo is offline   Reply With Quote