Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #1

Greetings from South Dakota

Hello everyone,
I hope you are all doing well. My name is Nate. My wife, Sylvia, and I are about to start our conversion. We almost bought a 1990 Bluebird, but we put it on pause because a medical situation came up that made us second guess our plans. But, we have decided to move forward and will start looking for another bus soon.

We have decided to convert a bus and to live in it full time with our three children. I know everyone does this differently and for different reasons. If you're curious, here are ours....

We haven't ever believed in the system that says "work 60hrs/wk for a house that you never see to house kids you don't see, because of your work." So instead of going into massive debt over a house, and not being a tight knit family, we are doing this. We don't dismiss or knock traditional home owners or people who truly enjoy a very full work week. We know that some people do. It's just not for us. This isn't to say we don't believe in work, or that we want to freeload. Just that our values are different from the traditional american way of doing things.

Our lease is up at the end of July so I should be able to get the conversion done in time to not be homeless. (It's worth noting that I have devoted my life to "manly" things like music, loving kids, and cooking. So my knowledge base on most of these things is shallow at best. I'm a fast learner though, and believe that I can do this thing right.)

We are looking forward to learning from you all, sharing our journey with you, and maybe even (some day) sharing something worth knowing. If any of you are in SD, let us know. We'd love to chat you up over a beer or coffee or water or whatever.

SD_conversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #2
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Welcome from another newbe, I too am about to get started on a bus. Myself I have always been a DIY kind of guy, I see something and think I can build that for less than half. Most of the time it doesn't work out cause I don't have a tool so I have to buy one. Not that I mind.. Then it cost just the same or more..but like Frank would say
I did it my way..
What part of SD you from? I am in Kansas City area so not that far..good luck with your build.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:14 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Dont sweat doin stuff yourself. you WILL make mistakes, they WILL cost you money, BUT you will have gained not only the knowledge of how your rig is built, but how to fix it.
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:25 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
Aberdeen, SD here. Hopefully you're in a town that has enough shops to handle your construction needs.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Building a skoolie is totally doable with no construction background at all. If I can do it. You can as well. Just spend lots of time reading.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #6

Hey guys, thanks for the greetings and encouragement. I'm getting giddy to get started
SD_conversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #7

Year: 1995
Engine: BIG ;-)
Hello I am in SD Too! Have you bought your bus yet?? there is a place in watertwon that you can get really nice buses for like 1500$ I just discovered this after paying $3000 for mine :- ) but mine was already painted and had some updates so its a wash i suppose
:- ) we will be working on it this weekend I am framing the sleeping quarters out tomorrow. we want to take a two week bus tour in mid June all the way to the red woods and back... YAY! have had to do a few engine related things but not too much.. would love to chit chat! I am in Aberdeen :- )
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote