Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #21
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
Yes, I agree about the salt in Florida. Lived in the Azores and Guam. In the Azores after a storm I could scrape the salt crystals off my car Windows into a bowl. We lived about 2 miles from the coast too 😰 In Guam if we did operate​ our equipment every other week our hydraulic cylinders would rust, pit, and rip out the cylinder seals. On the plus, as long as you stayed off the beach, the under side of vehicals never rusted.

I figured Orlando being in the middle of Florida was mostly salt free 😁

I had a turtle shell bus prior to this from Ohio... Ugh not even a 100k miles but the salt damage was far worse than I initially thought. I took a bit of a loss on that bus.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
Yes, I agree about the salt in Florida. Lived in the Azores and Guam. In the Azores after a storm I could scrape the salt crystals off my car Windows into a bowl. We lived about 2 miles from the coast too 😰 In Guam if we did operate​ our equipment every other week our hydraulic cylinders would rust, pit, and rip out the cylinder seals. On the plus, as long as you stayed off the beach, the under side of vehicals never rusted.

I figured Orlando being in the middle of Florida was mostly salt free 😁

I had a turtle shell bus prior to this from Ohio... Ugh not even a 100k miles but the salt damage was far worse than I initially thought. I took a bit of a loss on that bus.

Yeah FL is a much safer bet than OH when it comes to rust.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:58 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I always joke that Orlando is the farthest you can be from the ocean while still being in Florida. I'm not sure if it's true or not but it's plausible and makes the point. I basically hate going to Orlando.

My bus came from Miami and is super clean. Actually now that I think of it, I'm in Miami right now.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:26 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I always joke that Orlando is the farthest you can be from the ocean while still being in Florida. I'm not sure if it's true or not but it's plausible and makes the point. I basically hate going to Orlando.

My bus came from Miami and is super clean. Actually now that I think of it, I'm in Miami right now.
Otown is about as far away from salt as I am, 30 mins north.
The rustiest buses I've seen from FL were Miami and the keys.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #25
Skoolie

I have to admit, one of my bucket places is Key West, I know it means a touch of salt, but to leave this Mt Top during a month WV winter.... Yeah, I can feel the warm sand in my toes already 😊

I would take mail to Okalaka (spelling). It would be round trips from Pittsburgh PA and back. My goal was you get in around 2am out of Miami before morning rush. It was nice to do that in the winter. Now that I think about it, FL DOT yelled at me once (no ticket) for having my trailer Axel's back 2" to far..Lol he came out with a walking wheel and everything.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #26
Bus Geek

We just left the keys. If your plan is to boondock or otherwise travel without planning ahead, go elsewhere.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #27
Skoolie

I figured I would have to plan that trip, but that will be several years out. Need to get the wife thru nursing school so we'll have the cash ;)

Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the difference between salt in florida and salt in ohio is that other than a tropical storm or being parked in an area where you get a lot of ocean spray, the rain is typically very LOW in salt concentration.. what happens in Ohio is the roads get salted like crazy.. that salt gets sprayed up into the under-carriage and of course up onto the windshields and runs inside the doors, etc.. in HIGH concentration.. during a snow / ice even salt is dropped constantly on the roads.. and of course its melted the water so it is crazy high concentration of salt water getting EVERYWHERE on and in every crevice of your vehicle.. when the event is over the roads typically are WHITE with salt.. and even dry you have salt powder spray for days.. and then it may rain lightly.. so now you have that same salt spray over again that you had a few days ago in the snow event, event though no more salt is applied..

this is repeated all through winter... if you are LUCKY you will find a district who MAY wash their busses.. however, washing a vehicle in below freezing temperatures causes damage of its own as the minute you leave the steam bay all the salt-free water freezes in the sub-freezing temperatures.... so most people just dont wash at all.. so all that salt just reactivates zany time moisture is present.. even just dew.. or a light rain on a slightly warmer day.. so thats where the Ohio / Midwest rust comes from on skoolies.. not to mentioned the interior of the bus where all the salty / snowy kids boots are.. as they walk in salted neighborhoods and salted school parking lots to get on the bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
We just left the keys. If your plan is to boondock or otherwise travel without planning ahead, go elsewhere.
Oh yeah! Absolutely for sure.
YOu guys learn that one the hard way?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the difference between salt in florida and salt in ohio is that other than a tropical storm or being parked in an area where you get a lot of ocean spray, the rain is typically very LOW in salt concentration.. what happens in Ohio is the roads get salted like crazy.. that salt gets sprayed up into the under-carriage and of course up onto the windshields and runs inside the doors, etc.. in HIGH concentration.. during a snow / ice even salt is dropped constantly on the roads.. and of course its melted the water so it is crazy high concentration of salt water getting EVERYWHERE on and in every crevice of your vehicle.. when the event is over the roads typically are WHITE with salt.. and even dry you have salt powder spray for days.. and then it may rain lightly.. so now you have that same salt spray over again that you had a few days ago in the snow event, event though no more salt is applied..

this is repeated all through winter... if you are LUCKY you will find a district who MAY wash their busses.. however, washing a vehicle in below freezing temperatures causes damage of its own as the minute you leave the steam bay all the salt-free water freezes in the sub-freezing temperatures.... so most people just dont wash at all.. so all that salt just reactivates zany time moisture is present.. even just dew.. or a light rain on a slightly warmer day.. so thats where the Ohio / Midwest rust comes from on skoolies.. not to mentioned the interior of the bus where all the salty / snowy kids boots are.. as they walk in salted neighborhoods and salted school parking lots to get on the bus..

-Christopher
Fl doesn't wash buses much. And there's PLENTY of salt just in the air if you live anywhere remotely coastal.
But you are right- its not as bad as michigan/ohio rust.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Oh yeah! Absolutely for sure.
YOu guys learn that one the hard way?
Unfortunately. Also discovered that fort Lauderdale doesn't let you park a bus anywhere near a beach....
Old 03-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Unfortunately. Also discovered that fort Lauderdale doesn't let you park a bus anywhere near a beach....
Yeah most of us in FL either know or have learned- you gotta call ahead and have lots of $$$$$$$ to stay in the keys anywhere. Impossible most of the time.
Wish I'd known, I'd have sent you a stern warning.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah most of us in FL either know or have learned- you gotta call ahead and have lots of $$$$$$$ to stay in the keys anywhere. Impossible most of the time.
Wish I'd known, I'd have sent you a stern warning.
All part of the adventure my friend.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive parked DEV in ft lauderdale before... up along biscayne(??, route 1), parked in a Publix Lot. and then road my bicycle to the beach..

Key west I havent gone yet.. are there diesel stations along the way? havent taken a bus there yet but the 2 chain hotels I called had no issues parking a bus.. but then im not trying to boondock or camp anywhere in Keywest.. I do know the parking Nazi's are HUGE there.. as there are a lot of people that try to go to key west and just party on the cheapo.. sleep in their cars and such because hotels are pricey as all get out.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
All part of the adventure my friend.
I LOVE that spirit, man!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Rated Cap: 90
I've slept far too many times in my car after partying all night in they keys lol!
offy729 is offline   Reply With Quote