Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #1

Greetings Travelers!

Long time reader and first time poster. I'm a "young professional" that's jumped the corporate ladder since college and decided I didn't like where it took me or where the ladder led. So, down a new road!

My wife and I are looking to get into the RV lifestyle because of our affinity for travel and freedom. Born and raised in the Midwest, we have strong family connections, but are comfortable living remotely. We have lived in Oregon, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Missouri. We have traveled several hundred thousand miles together in our 5 years together.

A reason that we're interested in a Skoolie is because of my size and the ability to customize. I'm 6'8" and most RV's do not fit me comfortably. Our plan is to raise the roof on a skoolie, or whatever bus we find that fits us perfectly. I will be taking a sabbatical from my industry shortly and plan on buying, retrofitting, and moving into our new custom RV home full time this spring/summer/fall.

About us:
We have 2 small dogs that we love dearly. I am an avid motorcyclist and a classically trained musician. I also manage a facebook page with 8,000+ followers, about RV Living.
My wife is an amazing chef, snowboarder, and avid music finder.
We are moving our lifestyle to be completely remote, or working from the bus. I currently manage a grain and feed operation in the Midwest and my wife works as an Analyst for a healthcare management system.

Must Haves for our Skoolie/Bus Conversion:
Reliable Starter Bus
Interior Ceiling Height of 6'10" or greater
4 seasons capable (Wisconsin or Arizona)
Off Grid Capable (solar, large enough tanks)
Customized to fit our exact needs

I love reading about the builds and plan on utilizing some of the intense knowledge I see to be available.

jollykeengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Welcome dude,

The whole idea of : you have to go to college, get loans, and then work until you are 65. To pay the loan, big house, expensive car, bla bla bla.

Living a simple stress free life is much more rewarding. Welcome !!!

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Our feelings exactly. We are moving our careers to be fully remote so we can enjoy not being tied down, and want to move into a bus to be accountable to fewer people. (banks, landlords, property taxes, etc.)

We plan on working and saving, and maybe eventually have our own business. Who knows where we will end up?

I am going to look at buses next week.

First 3 are:

95 Thomas 39' Skoolie (6k)
82 prevost partially converted (10k)
2003 bluebird skoolie, painted and up to date (4.5k)
jollykeengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I managed to buy a decent lil house in town when the market crashed. Got a block home on a third of an acre, decent neighborhood and all. Cost me $46k cash.
Now I'm looking for a cheap lot out of town to keep buses on and burn stuff!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
I feel that the "tiny house" & nomadic lifestyle is a way to live simple and free of attachment.
But as eastcoast did, people can still afford cheap houses/land and still keeping all the comforts of living in the USA.
We bought a house for my parents in ocala, fl for 45k; corner lot, no HOA, Walmart near, and very cute.
Our house on the other hand, waste of money.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk