Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #1

Greets from South Texas

I've been lurking long enough, it's rude if I don't introduce myself.

Fiancee and I are getting rid of what we have left which isn't much, we've been doing homework all week and I can't thank you folks enough for providing such a wealth of information here regarding this, and I'm going to do my best to keep this concise. The last post I wrote I forgot to copy/paste before posting and the system logged out. With all the time I've spent on vwvortex, you'd think I'd anticipate it better.

We plan on building some kind of larger RE, primarily to move back to Anchorage AK with our fresh 3 month old. I've got some moderate automotive repair experience and I've been building/making things as long as I can remember, no experience with diesel, but I definitely have the aptitude to learn.

We're planning to be flexible with most aspects, the only things we've established as being somewhat non negotiable is again, RE, we plan on long distance trips with a small child and my understanding is the front end is quieter and cooler. Also, the finished product needs to be fit for a band of gypsy muppets, with a hint of assaulting a post apocalypse oil refinery. Fit for Burning Man, to be brief... I guess. If anybody knows if complications may arise from that feel free to mention it. With the current state of things, I wouldn't be surprised if some campsites turn you away for being an "eyesore." That's just a gut feeling.

Initial maiden voyage will consist of departing TX, and moving east and then north before heading towards AK.

I do have two questions that have been eating me, and for the purpose of keeping the question direct we'll assume a bus is found in immaculate condition but 14 some hours away, how do you get it home or to its place of....conversion? Is just driving it with anything less than a CDL or even a Class B a legitimate way to do so?

CarpetSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpetSample View Post
I've been lurking long enough, it's rude if I don't introduce myself.

Fiancee and I are getting rid of what we have left which isn't much, we've been doing homework all week and I can't thank you folks enough for providing such a wealth of information here regarding this, and I'm going to do my best to keep this concise. The last post I wrote I forgot to copy/paste before posting and the system logged out. With all the time I've spent on vwvortex, you'd think I'd anticipate it better.

We plan on building some kind of larger RE, primarily to move back to Anchorage AK with our fresh 3 month old. I've got some moderate automotive repair experience and I've been building/making things as long as I can remember, no experience with diesel, but I definitely have the aptitude to learn.

We're planning to be flexible with most aspects, the only things we've established as being somewhat non negotiable is again, RE, we plan on long distance trips with a small child and my understanding is the front end is quieter and cooler. Also, the finished product needs to be fit for a band of gypsy muppets, with a hint of assaulting a post apocalypse oil refinery. Fit for Burning Man, to be brief... I guess. If anybody knows if complications may arise from that feel free to mention it. With the current state of things, I wouldn't be surprised if some campsites turn you away for being an "eyesore." That's just a gut feeling.

Initial maiden voyage will consist of departing TX, and moving east and then north before heading towards AK.

I do have two questions that have been eating me, and for the purpose of keeping the question direct we'll assume a bus is found in immaculate condition but 14 some hours away, how do you get it home or to its place of....conversion? Is just driving it with anything less than a CDL or even a Class B a legitimate way to do so?
I just plan to drive it. I am buying a bus for private use. A CDL is required for commercial driving. I will drive safe and in the event I get pulled over, be respectful and play dumb (not so hard lol) take it easy till you get used to the air brakes

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC Vandura 3500
Engine: 5.7L
Sounds like the making of an awesome adventure! What part of south texas are you in? I lived in Brownsville for 17 years before moving up to San Antonio two years ago.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
A bus fit for Burning Man is not what the campsites try to keep out.... Its the Burners that scare them as we climb out!!!! 14 hour drive? That's a jaunt for sure! A co-worker just flew from Utah to Tennessee and drove his back......
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I just plan to drive it

I will drive safe and in the event I get pulled over, be respectful and play dumb (not so hard lol) take it easy till you get used to the air brakes
Sounds reasonable. I've been stressing out about that probably most of all, a few years back when I lived in MD, I picked up a '83 Rabbit GTI in VA, while driving it back to MD with the old plates we found out that the fuel gauge was moderately inop and the car ran out of gas on a cloverleaf, while my 2nd party went out with a can to put more in a state trooper pulled behind and I got in lots of trouble, she said I could either pay to have it towed or she was taking it even after the "playing dumb" with obligatory "yes ma'am no ma'am thank you ma'am"
Had to put the "piss broke" card back in the deck as well. "Look at this, its a half-wrecked 83 Rabbit with 300k on the clock I need to get to work and back, clearly I'm broke, towing is expensive" and her response was essentially that its still cheaper than getting it impounded and whatever citations that accompany it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeese View Post
Sounds like the making of an awesome adventure! What part of south texas are you in? I lived in Brownsville for 17 years before moving up to San Antonio two years ago.
We're currently in SA, we were in Windcrest for a little bit but we couldn't keep up with the vandalism and the neighborhood totally knocked us on our ass. I'm really looking forward to the trip/project, our spirits definitely need it.
CarpetSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC Vandura 3500
Engine: 5.7L
I purchased my bus a few weeks ago off an online auction. My bus had to be picked up in Washington state, a nice 2100 mile drive to San Antonio. I flew my brother up to pick it up and he drove it home without a CDL or repainting without any issues. The district left WA exempt plates on so that might have helped.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpetSample View Post
Sounds reasonable. I've been stressing out about that probably most of all, a few years back when I lived in MD, I picked up a '83 Rabbit GTI in VA, while driving it back to MD with the old plates we found out that the fuel gauge was moderately inop and the car ran out of gas on a cloverleaf, while my 2nd party went out with a can to put more in a state trooper pulled behind and I got in lots of trouble, she said I could either pay to have it towed or she was taking it even after the "playing dumb" with obligatory "yes ma'am no ma'am thank you ma'am"
Had to put the "piss broke" card back in the deck as well. "Look at this, its a half-wrecked 83 Rabbit with 300k on the clock I need to get to work and back, clearly I'm broke, towing is expensive" and her response was essentially that its still cheaper than getting it impounded and whatever citations that accompany it.

We're currently in SA, we were in Windcrest for a little bit but we couldn't keep up with the vandalism and the neighborhood totally knocked us on our ass. I'm really looking forward to the trip/project, our spirits definitely need it.
It will be legally registered and insured, I have a license to drive. Too old to deal with that lol. I am just going to play dumb if they ask about a CDL.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote