Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Year: 83
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: 35
Engine: 671 Detroit Turbo, 160,000 mi Auto
Rated Cap: Dunno yet
Happy in my crown

Hey all! So I've been a closet Skoolie for years and I finally found the right bus to call home. I lucked out something fierce and I'm currently in the process of buying a 83 crown with a 671 Detroit Diesel automatic. So I figured I should join the community and seek/share advice on all things conversion. First things first, flooring!

Now I've only converted a straight walled bus before. So I'm left wondering what should be my plan of attack with the whole curved floors and access panels. Yeesh. I'm thinking vinyl planking because of the mimic effect of wood, also I believe it would be lighter. Does anyone have any experience and what are some pro tips? Which do you think would weight more/be a better investment?

Next would be weight distribution. Gray tanks, fresh water, battery banks, as well as general framing. What should I keep in mind other than layout and ease of plumbing/electrical paths? (Got that area covered)

I know all of you are busy so I'm not expecting a template, nor do I want one. Friendly advice and tips learned through experience is what I'm seeking. Basically I want to be a vessel for knowledge for a field few venture into. I hope I'm welcomed with open arms and no I'm not a crown snob just a lucky guy for once ��

Cobbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Welcome! I'd guess the fact that you have a Crown already makes you the envy of half the members of this community!

No experience with the curved walls but my guess would be horizontal planking shouldn't offer much challenge and would remain resilient to the flexing of a bus in motion.

As far as weight distribution, common sense and I think the fact that you've considered it as a factor means you're on the right track. Batteries are heavy, water is heavy AND kinetic, so as a rule keep them as low as possible, as close to the centerline and between the axles. No gravity-fed roof mounted fresh water tanks, no hot tubs on a rear-mounted porch, and if a choice exists two 50 gallon tanks beats a 100 gallon tank because of 'surge' which is when you stop or change direction and the water wants to keep going in the first direction. You can also balance left-to-right this way. Otherwise I'd say your floorplan is really going to dictate where these components end up.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome
There are a number of Crown owners here. It's always nice to see those beauties.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:25 AM   #4

Year: 83
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: 35
Engine: 671 Detroit Turbo, 160,000 mi Auto
Rated Cap: Dunno yet
Hey thanks guys! @Jake solid advice, I had not even thought about this "surge" but when dealing with weight it's definitely a factor.

So about as close as I can get to my mid section would be the spare tire bay right next to the door. It's rather large but I had intended to assign that the battery bay. Due to the hydrogen and oxygen given off by the charging process, I imagined it would be best to have them in a ventilated semi-enclosure.

Is that something I should keep in mind or is it so minimal that it wouldn't have a impact or cause for worry?

My "trunk" since the engine is mid body is enormous! So my immediate thought was, fresh and gray in the back. On either side of course. 100 gal reservoir for each.

So for that system with two sinks and a shower attached all on the same side of the bus, what kind of piping would be adequate? 1/2" would cut it right?

So much research to do, anyone have a water pump they would recommend and thanks again for your hellos and advice! Glad to be here!
Cobbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Glad your crown sits well...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbuss View Post
Hey thanks guys! @Jake solid advice, I had not even thought about this "surge" but when dealing with weight it's definitely a factor.

So about as close as I can get to my mid section would be the spare tire bay right next to the door. It's rather large but I had intended to assign that the battery bay. Due to the hydrogen and oxygen given off by the charging process, I imagined it would be best to have them in a ventilated semi-enclosure.

Is that something I should keep in mind or is it so minimal that it wouldn't have a impact or cause for worry?

My "trunk" since the engine is mid body is enormous! So my immediate thought was, fresh and gray in the back. On either side of course. 100 gal reservoir for each.

So for that system with two sinks and a shower attached all on the same side of the bus, what kind of piping would be adequate? 1/2" would cut it right?

So much research to do, anyone have a water pump they would recommend and thanks again for your hellos and advice! Glad to be here!
Remember, Midship Crowns you don't have a lot of storage so putting that much Fresh AND grey in the back is going to eat up a LOT of room. I would rethink & put fresh inside & look around underneath say just in front of rear axle for mounting waste tanks.

Oh & what size is your Crown. Greg's is 36ft mines 38ft

Heres a link For the Marvels midship Crown, They have already done a lot of research for you.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/jo...sion-8600.html
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#newtoschool

« Hi all. | New here »