Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Hello...

Well i just got my bus the other day and I'm a nervous wreck. That "what have i done" feeling is so strong....but this is something i was so excited about...excited enough to search and search and then win the bid by 39 seconds. I'm sure once i get my bus home and start working on it the anxiety will start to fade. It surely doesn't help that all of my siblings have said I'm crazy for doing this LOL

I ended up getting a 2002 International 3000. Seats 66...Diesel...Automatic.

tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Happy for you! Whereabouts are you, and where is the bus coming from? Do you have a major road trip planned for a maiden voyage, or is it local?

And do you know which automatic transmission you have? And air or hydraulic brakes? Might change how you prep for your trip home.

Glad you're here!
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome!

Yep once again i am reminded of the "what have i done?!" panic.
That lasted for a few months for me. Fading a little each day and growing everytime i ran into trouble parking it.

Now, four months later, i mostly have this " amazed that it all worked itself out " feeling. How did it all work out?! The encouragement from people here helped see me through hard times.

I shared my plan with the girl i adored and she said it was a stupid idea, that hurt a lot and kinda sealed my decision to buy a bus. She was a stupider idea but i still gave her a I a chance. Turns out the Universe supported the bus idea a lot more than the her and I idea.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my "what have i done now" moment came about a month ago when I unexpectedly won an auction for a second bus.. ha! now im enjoying having 2 busses that are nearly as opposite as it gets in the way they drive, look, and feel...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
Skoolie

I have that feeling too as I am making the 1200mile drive home with my new bus tomorrow!
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
I have that feeling too as I am making the 1200mile drive home with my new bus tomorrow!
my "problem" is ive never quite gotten past the "I love driving a bus so much I never want to shut it down t oconvert anything" phase...

alas I gt that big ole grin every time I get in the seat and drive!! yeah 1200 miles .. when I had that trip in front of me (1100).. I hardly could sleep the night before from excitement.. 6 months later and i still feel that way.. so much I drove a bus today to breakfast and to get groceries

-Christopher
Old 10-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Happy for you! Whereabouts are you, and where is the bus coming from? Do you have a major road trip planned for a maiden voyage, or is it local?

And do you know which automatic transmission you have? And air or hydraulic brakes? Might change how you prep for your trip home.

Glad you're here!
thank you for the welcome
It says it has a MD3060 Allison automatic transmission with a DT 466 engine and has air brakes....I'm hoping these are all good things. Apparently the bus was running school routes right up until the new buses came in. Which I know doesn't really mean anything but it sounds good. I'm hoping to get over there tomorrow and start it up. But that's all I can do as I have to go to DMV and get it registered etc.
When I do get to take it home, the ride is only 15 mins. but, once the interior is done (enough to hit the road) I'll be heading to Fla....I have family there.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
Wow! good luck to you!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
I must be mad because in a strange sort of way that calmed me
thank you! hehe
Old 10-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my "problem" is ive never quite gotten past the "I love driving a bus so much I never want to shut it down t oconvert anything" phase...

alas I gt that big ole grin every time I get in the seat and drive!! yeah 1200 miles .. when I had that trip in front of me (1100).. I hardly could sleep the night before from excitement.. 6 months later and i still feel that way.. so much I drove a bus today to breakfast and to get groceries

-Christopher
That's too funny. So you're like a kid in a Candy Store!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
Welcome!

Yep once again i am reminded of the "what have i done?!" panic.
That lasted for a few months for me. Fading a little each day and growing everytime i ran into trouble parking it.

Now, four months later, i mostly have this " amazed that it all worked itself out " feeling. How did it all work out?! The encouragement from people here helped see me through hard times.

I shared my plan with the girl i adored and she said it was a stupid idea, that hurt a lot and kinda sealed my decision to buy a bus. She was a stupider idea but i still gave her a I a chance. Turns out the Universe supported the bus idea a lot more than the her and I idea.

Good luck!
It really is a panicky kind of feeling! I guess because I won't be stationery anymore...not that it has to stay that way. There's nothing that says I can't buy a small piece of land, right? I do have an acre in SC but it's on a long and deserted road out in the middle of nowhere....um, no thank you. I mean it'll do if I just need a break. But anyway, if I don't do this now, I'll never do it and always wonder "what if"....and there have been too many 'what ifs' so this is it!
So are you all finished with your build?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
Bus Nut

thank you all for the warm welcome...

It's awesome to know there are others out there just like me...people I can relate to and share stories and advice.
So is anyone stationary or is everyone on the road?
Old 10-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
It's awesome to know there are others out there just like me...people I can relate to and share stories and advice.
So is anyone stationary or is everyone on the road?

I dont live in either of the busses.. im not really a Camper.. in fact most nioghts im on the road you'll find my bus in a hotel parking lot..

the carpenter is a mobile software / hardware DEV lab.. when im having trouble working oput a piece of code or designing a system.. or when I just need new scenery i go on the road.. driving and thinking... stopping and programming with the door open and my feet dangling of the edge.. testing ideas along the way.. sometimes sleeping on the air mattress for a couple hours.. othertimes parked.. in a opark, or in a downtown parking lot while i walk and explore.. then can test as i need..

the other bus is well... yeah it was not really planned.. but then I got it and it just feels right... so Idrive it around... it even fits in my driveway.. yes I have a house in ohio.. and a downtown loft in florida.. the busses often find themselves somewhere between florida and ohio... so im kind of mobile.. but also stationary when i need or want to be...
-Christopher
Old 10-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
I dont live in either of the busses.. im not really a Camper.. in fact most nioghts im on the road you'll find my bus in a hotel parking lot..

the carpenter is a mobile software / hardware DEV lab.. when im having trouble working oput a piece of code or designing a system.. or when I just need new scenery i go on the road.. driving and thinking... stopping and programming with the door open and my feet dangling of the edge.. testing ideas along the way.. sometimes sleeping on the air mattress for a couple hours.. othertimes parked.. in a opark, or in a downtown parking lot while i walk and explore.. then can test as i need..

the other bus is well... yeah it was not really planned.. but then I got it and it just feels right... so Idrive it around... it even fits in my driveway.. yes I have a house in ohio.. and a downtown loft in florida.. the busses often find themselves somewhere between florida and ohio... so im kind of mobile.. but also stationary when i need or want to be...
-Christopher
Sounds like pretty much a perfect lifestyle! I would love to have such freedom!
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:

-Christopher
wow, that really does sound like the perfect lifestyle!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
thank you for the welcome
It says it has a MD3060 Allison automatic transmission with a DT 466 engine and has air brakes....I'm hoping these are all good things. Apparently the bus was running school routes right up until the new buses came in. Which I know doesn't really mean anything but it sounds good. I'm hoping to get over there tomorrow and start it up. But that's all I can do as I have to go to DMV and get it registered etc.
When I do get to take it home, the ride is only 15 mins. but, once the interior is done (enough to hit the road) I'll be heading to Fla....I have family there.

DT466, Allison 3060, air brakes. Yessss!! ALL good things!!!! Oh, and welcome to the forum.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Yup. That bus has all the right drivetrain bits. You scored!!! Whooo hooo!!!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
DT466, Allison 3060, air brakes. Yessss!! ALL good things!!!! Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Thank you !!! I'm super psyched to get started on it.....trying to get it insured is another story.... what a hassle
Old 10-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCoyote View Post
Yup. That bus has all the right drivetrain bits. You scored!!! Whooo hooo!!!
thank you