Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #1

Hello

Hi all. I'm not really new - been lurking for a long time. I thought it might be time to introduce myself and try to get a few posts in, so I can put up photos when the time comes.

I've been enthralled by the Tiny House Movement for a number of years and Skoolie life is particularly appealing. After 18 years in engineering (in a lab and fabric cubicle) I made a serious career change. Since then, I've been tied to my business 7 days a week for nearly 13 years and am thinking about a change back to something a little more conventional time-wise. That change will take some time because there are difficulties in detangling myself - too complicated and boring to explain here. I am handy in most respects and am very comfortable with the idea of building out a Skoolie as well as wrenching on it some.

I've been researching all kinds of options and lurking / listening to all the pros and cons of various bus types and sizes, engines, transmissions, Skoolie designs, features and whatnot. I'm closing in on a 3/4 length dog-nose for myself at some point. I've been watching all kinds of auctions and Craigslist ads for what feels like forever, just to see what's out there and how much I can expect to pay. So.... I have my eye on a really inexpensive 1990 International S1700. I have contacted the seller for more info (more photos, engine, rear-end, etc) but I figured I'd see what the forum can tell me. What engine is commonly in this bus? Is there anyone here in the Greenville, SC area who could look at it for me if I get that far on it? I'm in the Boston area and would love to spare myself a trip if it's actually a dog.

BensBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Welcome to the site. I was much like you in that I lurked for a long while ... even as a member. I have no idea what triggered my recent participation burst, but here I am.

I do hope you get some good information from the seller. It sounds like a great price, as long as the bus is mechanically sound. There are members in SC ... I just can not tell you who. Someone made a map of all the members and where they are located. I do not know the thread. I thought I had bookmarked the thread, not I did not. Perhaps another member will recall the thread and post it for us.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote