Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Rated Cap: 90 passengers
Hello

Hi everybody! Just going to jump in and do a skoolie. So I will be seeking out alot of help!😀 I have been following a few folks on YouTube. I am looking at a 2011 IC Flat nose with Dura Maxx motor. I cannot remember much about those motors. I am an over the road driver and had a truck with that motor but drawing a blank. Any input on it?

Thanks

Derek
EarthSun Trucker

EarthSun Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
We would normally recommend you run away from any bus newer than an 04. EPA issues are costly and hard to diagnose. And apparantly inevitable if proper preventive maintenance isn't strictly adhered to.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #3

I'm hearing that! Thanks
Old 10-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
2011 would be the second gen of emissions diesels, so it should be better than the first gen... still not as good as the pre-2004 engines... Most of us don't have access to fleet mechanics and so we lean heavily towards buses we can maintain ourselves!
Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #5

��there's alot of truth in that statement. I just drive em lol
Old 10-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
the duramax has come along way since the early 2000s
i know the early ones had expensive injector problems and a BS fuel filter design with the manual primer on top of the filter and the o-rings after time when/if used sucked air. which didnt cause running issues once you got it running but if it sat for an hour or so it had to much air in the filter and didnt want to start.
had an early 2000-2001 series and carried a nitrogen bottle and regulator for work anyway so i learned that anytime it wanted to give me a hard time as long as i kept a half tank of fuel that i could hook my bottle up and a rag in the fuel filler neck and pressurize the tank it would start and run with no problem. that took to people so then i tapped the cap to accept a nitrogen hose and then i didnt have to have a second person
one day i was doing it buy myself and forgot to care about bottle pressure which was only at 10 psi and the manual pump on top of the filter was bubbling fuel.
for that truck from the factory didnt have an oil water seperator nor a drainable fuel filter?
once i fixed those issues at 150,000 miles i had no problems with that motor and it had
400,000 on it when sold it to a man who had been begging me for it 3 years ago.
dont know the 2011 duramax but i do know that ford chevy and allison are pairing together.
have been sharing for awhile
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthSun Trucker View Post
��there's alot of truth in that statement. I just drive em lol
1st thought in my mind when I read the OP was " you drive em, but have you had to work on one?"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthSun Trucker View Post
Hi everybody! Just going to jump in and do a skoolie. So I will be seeking out alot of help!😀 I have been following a few folks on YouTube. I am looking at a 2011 IC Flat nose with Dura Maxx motor. I cannot remember much about those motors. I am an over the road driver and had a truck with that motor but drawing a blank. Any input on it?

Thanks

Derek
EarthSun Trucker
Unless you can afford the occasional replacement engine or 5 figure repair skip the "deals" on late model buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
the duramax has come along way since the early 2000s
i know the early ones had expensive injector problems and a BS fuel filter design with the manual primer on top of the filter and the o-rings after time when/if used sucked air. which didnt cause running issues once you got it running but if it sat for an hour or so it had to much air in the filter and didnt want to start.
had an early 2000-2001 series and carried a nitrogen bottle and regulator for work anyway so i learned that anytime it wanted to give me a hard time as long as i kept a half tank of fuel that i could hook my bottle up and a rag in the fuel filler neck and pressurize the tank it would start and run with no problem. that took to people so then i tapped the cap to accept a nitrogen hose and then i didnt have to have a second person
one day i was doing it buy myself and forgot to care about bottle pressure which was only at 10 psi and the manual pump on top of the filter was bubbling fuel.
for that truck from the factory didnt have an oil water seperator nor a drainable fuel filter?
once i fixed those issues at 150,000 miles i had no problems with that motor and it had
400,000 on it when sold it to a man who had been begging me for it 3 years ago.
dont know the 2011 duramax but i do know that ford chevy and allison are pairing together.
have been sharing for awhile
I think he's actually talking about a Maxxforce if its in a "flat nose".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote