Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

Hello all!!

My wife and I are new on here and recently purchased a '97 Thomas school bus pusher. It has a caterpillar 6cyl and auto trans. (Not sure of the manufacturer of the trans.) It runs pretty well but we most likely will not be driving it much. It is totally stripped inside now, and we are trying to figure out what to do for a floor. We live in Charleston, SC and it doesn't stay very cold for long in the winters. I don't want to lose much headroom by installing a lot of insulation in the floor....... I was also thinking of just liquid nailing OSB to the metal floor then peel and stick vinyl that looks like wood slats. Anybody tried this? We will not be keeping it climate controlled when not in use so don't want to use laminate and have it buckle.

Four Dogs Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Hi,
I am on the beach in NC.
I myself wouldn't recommend OSB as an underlayment because any water spills,dog pee, changes in temperature/humidity or anything that is not really noticed will make OSB swell up and the peel and stick laminate will not stay on the OSB very well.
Another option I used to keep headroom down was 1/4" foam board 1/4" birch plywood/luan which is finished grade(so the peel and stick will have a better chance at being smooth and staying flat) on top of mine I built all walls and whatever and did solid linoleum sheets like a wet area under all the sinks,water heater etc. and another underlay and a cheap bamboo pergo off brand type floating floor in the visual/walkway living area and it has lasted very well with dogs,kids,rain for at least 4-years now.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Thank you for that great info
Four Dogs Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Anything I or the forum can do to help? Ask away and or PM me.
We are in different climates than a lot of others here so look at your intended purpose and build to what your happy with.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor prep, flooring