Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas Vista
Engine: DT 408 6.7L
Rated Cap: 72
Hello All! Currently Converting 1994 Int. Vista DT408

Hey! My names Scott, Long time lurker here as we went about the process of finding a purchasing our bus. So much info here! Excited to start being more vocal on here as I search for answers and start to have some knowledge to share!

A little about me, I'm fresh to diesel and heavy trucks, I am a self-taught home mechanic used to working on Nissan Pathfinders and with Youtube and some dedication I get it done. Doing lots of research thanks to all you guys and gals out there figuring stuff out on your own. I'm doing this build for a full time live in for me and my partner Giulia as we travel North America.

We're up in B.C and spent a long time looking for a bus that was local and checked off all the essentials for us, a lot of duds!

Finally, we got our bus, I'll throw some pictures up soon! It's a strange body, a mix between a dog nose and flat... but personally, I love it! it comes in at 34 Ft long and gives us right around 210 Sqft of living space inside. So easy to drive with the wheels right under the driver's seat almost.

1994 International Thomas Vista
DT408 6.7 L (Still Need to Identify which Injection Pump we have for HP (LAZY/BUSY LOL)
AT 500 series, have yet to find the ID plate so its either the AT542 or 545

454,000 Km
was Gov certifies and in local use up to end of 2017

we picked it up for $1600 all in at auction

Got in the end of Aug 2018, and so far we have,

Engine maintenance, Lube, Oil Filters, Coolant flush, and Fresh Thermostat so far.
Going to replace fluid/filters for tranni rear diff etc before we start driving it regularly.

Runs very well, trans pulls and shifts smooth, my water gauge is still not operating after replacing the thermostat, looking into the sender and the actual int gauge cluster, trying to figure that one out! Also Tranni was getting hot when driving it back, had to stop a few times to make sure the trans didn't get too hot and ruin the fluid/trans. It would cool itself again with a little pause or if you got off the hill and let it cruise at a nice RPM, this was pre-fresh thermostat so maybe that will assist? Thinking of a secondary cooler/tranny cooler for those mountain passes, Definitely looking for some input on how to make this bus run Effectively and make this million mile engine make that mark

I am leaking some oil from directly under my front axle/engine looks like general seepage no runs so looking to identify this as I get further into the engine.

I'm unsure about my turbo, and general engine health, seals etc, currently it runs very well, smooth to start and operate with no smoke except on cold starts. So I'm letting this wait while I gain more knowledge and work on other parts of the bus, mechanics have said it looks good but they have not gone far into the engine.

BUILD DETAILS

Complete gut on the interior, Floors, wall panelling, Roof All insulation to be replaced.
Rear Heater Removed, (looking to take out driver side heater to or alter, Need some help with this!)

Floors etc Wire brushed, Rust removed and treated, Galv Primer and Rust paint on all interior floor

Exterior Roof has been sanded cleaned, Seams etc sealed with Polyurethane Caulk, and Elastomeric roof coating applied, Windows removed and seams etc recaulked in windows, Side of the bus painted white to below windows and windows reinstalled with fresh caulk.

I've designed and built a Rooftop Deck over the Rear of the bus, I'll write up a section on how I did that later on if anyone wants to see! and also made 2 steel "roof Rack" Rails along the centre of the bus on the roof for 5 cross beams for toys, storage containers etc all of this is bolted to the bus frame and sealed up with caulk.

Water tanks are here and waiting to go in

We're getting ready to move on our framing and subfloor now after completing out design,

Pics Attached! Some of them are from Insagram stories hence the Texts and GIFS haha
Attached Thumbnails
1 Bus Interior No Work.jpg   5 Interior Clear with flooring.jpg   6 flooring half out.jpg   9 Interior Clear 2.jpg   9.4 Window Removal_.jpg  

9.6 Interior White.jpg   9.7 Roof.jpg   9.9 Roof Windows in current.jpg   9.1 Roof Seam Seal.jpg   9.5 Paint 1.jpg  

9.8 Roof Windows in.jpg   9.8 Roof Withput Windows.jpg   IMG_1165.jpg   IMG_1184.jpg   IMG_1185.jpg  

IMG_1186.jpg  

scloughcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote