Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Been out of town for a few days ...

The Summit Racing clutch may not be what you need. That's designed for hot rods, not a heavy bus. Besides, you may have a larger clutch, or a different transmission input shaft design.

Good going on at least making some progress on getting the clutch going. It's normal for the clutch pedal to take considerable effort to push. Remember, there's a lot of weight to move, and it needs a lot of friction to get that bus moving. In turn, it needs several strong springs to generate that friction, and those are what you are resisting to release the clutch. They do make "Easy Pedal" clutches (pressure plates) which give up a bit of spring pressure in exchange for less pedal effort.

Many older manual vehicles didn't have clutch interlock switches and yours is probably no exception. These didn't become common until later years and even then not all vehicles had/have them. (I drive a 2015 Volvo road tractor and I can start it without touching the clutch).

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Been out of town for a few days ...

The Summit Racing clutch may not be what you need. That's designed for hot rods, not a heavy bus. Besides, you may have a larger clutch, or a different transmission input shaft design.

Good going on at least making some progress on getting the clutch going. It's normal for the clutch pedal to take considerable effort to push. Remember, there's a lot of weight to move, and it needs a lot of friction to get that bus moving. In turn, it needs several strong springs to generate that friction, and those are what you are resisting to release the clutch. They do make "Easy Pedal" clutches (pressure plates) which give up a bit of spring pressure in exchange for less pedal effort.

Many older manual vehicles didn't have clutch interlock switches and yours is probably no exception. These didn't become common until later years and even then not all vehicles had/have them. (I drive a 2015 Volvo road tractor and I can start it without touching the clutch).
Yeah I did more reaserch about that clutch and decided agianst it. And I have done more reaserch about how this clutch should operate. I do think it just needs some more adjusting and my mechanic is coming on Thursday to make sure that is all that I need. He thinks it's the rod that goes from the slave cylinder to the fork. It may be the wrong size and it's either not hitting it at the right angle or its to long or to big around so if I get a different one that the right set up I should be good to go. I really do appreciate how everyone has been so awesome with trying to provide me with ample information it has helped me a lot in my mission of fixing this bus [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
pearldovelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:37 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearldovelove View Post
Awe thank you. Honestly it was the best option for my family and I. I had a terrible roommate situation going on and we have a pit bull, and with him we can never find a place to rent to us. The roomates situation being he bailed out on rent so I spontaneously decided to put my rent money into buying this bus. A little crazy but totally worth it. I am on a bit of a time crunch though, I am supposed to be off the property I'm on by the 30th. [emoji15] but I think we should have it together by then I am working hard to get it all done!
Everyone on this forum has been so kind, I am grateful for everyone's information and kind words.

We are doing the same thing. The home we have been renting has gone up for sale. We were talking about buying an rv or 5th wheel next year but decided to jump on it due to our situation. Would be nearly $6k to move into another place and it may turn out to be cheaper to buy this bus. So we did! I've set a goal for first week of August to be on the road. Quite the task.especially when I've seen guys saying their conversions took a year or two. But I'm gonna make it happen do or die. Good luck to you and your new family.i have a son your age who is about to have a daughter as well. I'm impressed with your decision as I know first hand that it's not an easy call.
The big blue bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The big blue bus View Post
We are doing the same thing. The home we have been renting has gone up for sale. We were talking about buying an rv or 5th wheel next year but decided to jump on it due to our situation. Would be nearly $6k to move into another place and it may turn out to be cheaper to buy this bus. So we did! I've set a goal for first week of August to be on the road. Quite the task.especially when I've seen guys saying their conversions took a year or two. But I'm gonna make it happen do or die. Good luck to you and your new family.i have a son your age who is about to have a daughter as well. I'm impressed with your decision as I know first hand that it's not an easy call.
Well good luck to you, I didn't give my self much time either. It's amazing what you can get done when you don't have much time.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

How is the shifting in the bus actually behaving? Is it grinding when you try to put it into gear or can you shift into gear but the engine races and the bus doesn't move or moves slowly? If the former, then the system hasn't been adequately bled because the clutch isn't fully engaging. If the latter, then the clutch disk or pressure plate probably need to be replaced. My spouse had a mechanic try to sell her a $3-400 clutch job years ago that I diagnosed a $60 job to replace a cylinder and bleed the system. Since you've replaced both cylinders, I suspect either a leak or inadequate bleeding of the system.
Newbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies View Post
How is the shifting in the bus actually behaving? Is it grinding when you try to put it into gear or can you shift into gear but the engine races and the bus doesn't move or moves slowly? If the former, then the system hasn't been adequately bled because the clutch isn't fully engaging. If the latter, then the clutch disk or pressure plate probably need to be replaced. My spouse had a mechanic try to sell her a $3-400 clutch job years ago that I diagnosed a $60 job to replace a cylinder and bleed the system. Since you've replaced both cylinders, I suspect either a leak or inadequate bleeding of the system.
It started grinding a bit when you would try to put it in to gear my dad thinks there's a leak too because it was working when we first started to move it and after boutique 4 miles it started grinding and not letting him shift into the proper gear

Old 07-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearldovelove View Post
Why is that? Isn't it still awesome that a young little family is doing all of this together?

Totally awesome

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
How is the bus coming along? Or is it too hot to go outside?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2017, 12:54 AM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

It is slowly coming together I met this amazing guy today that welded and resurfaced my exhaust manifold for 50 bucks. And did an amazing job. I just need someone to come out to drill and tap out the studs for the manifold that are broken off in the head and then I can get that back on. And I am trying to locate a master cylinder because my mechanic thinks it is to small and was not the OE I'm just waiting for some calls and emails back on that

Old 07-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Sent you a PM!
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote