Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Hello and have questions about insurance

I live in Missouri and I am buying a bus in Indiana. I have talked to my insurance State Farm , they will insure me after i do the conversion , but i need insurance to get from Indiana to Missouri and that they say they can not do. How do I insure the bus for the ride home . Thats all i will need untill I get it converted.

mastervsdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervsdoctor View Post
I live in Missouri and I am buying a bus in Indiana. I have talked to my insurance State Farm , they will insure me after i do the conversion , but i need insurance to get from Indiana to Missouri and that they say they can not do. How do I insure the bus for the ride home . Thats all i will need untill I get it converted.
Glad you found a bus ! What's you get???

Thee are a million insurance posts. Each State has it's own issues, call around is best bet. You may need commercial until RV.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am insured with State Farm in WA.

When I bought my buses I called them and confirmed that my existing coverage extends to new purchases for two weeks. That covered me for the drive home.

Once I got the seats out I sent pictures. Then State Farm wrote policies on them as commercial vehicles for personal use.

When the conversion is complete I will send more pics and switch the policies to RV.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Insurance for transport

What I am having trouble with is not the insurance after my conversion . Its the insurance i need for the transport of my bus from indiana to missouri . All insurance people i have talked to so far say they cant do bus untill its converted . and before its considedred commercial , and they cant do commercial cause i dont have a buisness, so this is the issue i am having. normally it woukld fall under the purchase a vehicle and have insurance on it for several days , but its a bus and doesnt fall under that. How have any of you guys insured your bus to get it back home to start your conversion
Old 10-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #5

I have state farm too here in Missouri , they are telling me my insurance wont cover the purchase of a bus cause its commercial , even though i have an umbrella policy on car and house They say they dont have a commercial for personal use and they tell me thery have no idea how to insure it for the ride home
Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Take a look at "broad from insurance". It covers the driver specifically driving any vehicles registered to that driver. It is not vehicle specific.

https://www.google.com/search?client...01.KHxb_jDYkQQ
Old 10-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

register

can i purchase and register the bus in indiana before i bring it back to missouri . i tried that link and it took me to google , what were you trying to show me
Old 10-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
can i purchase and register the bus in indiana before i bring it back to missouri . i tried that link and it took me to google , what were you trying to show me
Nope ... but you might be able to get a temporary travel tag from Indiana to take it out of state. Most states offer this and some let you do it online.

You need a resident drivers license to register it in Indiana.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
The link is to a Google search for "broad form insurance Missouri".

If you purchase this kind of insurance it will cover you in any vehicles that you own. Follow the links and read.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
broad form insurance
I thought that just applied to women ???
Old 10-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I had good luck with Progressive Commercial (do *NOT* confuse this with Progressive Auto, or personal auto insurance. They will not know what you are talking about and are very likely to decline you). My policy is "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" and runs about $60/month. It covered my drive home.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I will respond to your PM here so we can share the details with the community.

When I converted my first bus I was able to insure it as an RV with a local broker. Then I moved to AZ and switched to State Farm. I sent pictures of the conversion and they wrote an RV policy.

When I bought the next one I had moved to WA. I emailed my State Farm agent with the vin# and asked for confirmation of the new purchase coverage. When I got the bus home I pulled the seats and sent my agent pictures. She informed me that the only way to insure it, as it sat, was to insure it as a commercial vehicle for personal use. The premium is about $350 year.

My agent told me to bring pictures when it is done and they will switch it to an RV policy.

Bus#3 was the same process as #2
Old 10-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I use progressive COMMERCIAL.. CALL the dont go online.. and tell them its a BUS, not a converted bus.. this is what you will want for insurance until it is converted.. then you can go some of the other routes.. also be careful in your state.. many states once you register it with a licese plate then by law it must be insured even if you never drive it... in Ohio they can check up on you anytime they want.. and if it has a plate even if you have never driven it then it must have liability insurance..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Just use the drive-off tag and drive carefully from Indiana to Missouri. I drove from Kanakee to Billings, MT w/o insurance.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #15
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Just use the drive-off tag and drive carefully from Indiana to Missouri. I drove from Kanakee to Billings, MT w/o insurance.
Aww, Squid. You shoulda stopped by. I'm about 20 minutes from Skankakee.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
At the time, I didn't know it.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #17
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
At the time, I didn't know it.
NEXT bus ya buy.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
I am in Missouri, I plan on making a trip to California to purchase a bus. Its gvwr 35000lbs. It will have all the seats removed except the front ones for like total of 7 passengers. Anyone got experience in Missouri? I have been told to insure it as a van with bus body. Not sure how this works if its gvwr is 35k lbs. I also read to use commercial policy, would I need to have a CDL if the insurance is commercial for private use?

We plan on converting it throughout the year and eventually re-title the bus to Motorhome.

For now what do you guys recommend so that I can get it street legal to drive from California to Missouri?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Hey I saw a post recently you purchased a bus and live in missouri. We also live in missouri and are bringing a bus from california. I am getting so many different answers as faras title/registation goes. We want to register the bus. It has no seats in it and we will eventually do the conversion (end of year early next year) what type of registration and tags did you get your bus? Lady at Jeff City said Under 40 passengers bus. Would that sort of registration make me have to use a cdl???
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote