Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: "Transitliner" (Thomas Built Bus)
Engine: CAT
Rated Cap: 48
Hello! Anyone else from Canada?

Hey! I'm converting a bus to a mobile art space, and I'm new to this, so this seemed like a good place to start. Some of the formatting is already a bit confusing to me, I thought I'd say hello, but also hoped maybe someone more experienced could direct me towards a couple of resources.

First off: I started a thread to show my conversion, but I haven't been able to figure out how to post photos. I feel like I must be missing something really straight forward, but if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong that would be awesome.

Second: I'd love to meet some other folks from Canada, to share struggles and problem solving to do with Canada specific rules and regulations. I might try posting a Canada thread if this doesn't yield any responses (or if there already is a Canada thread, or another forum good for Canadians let me know!)

Also I'm looking for a replacement rear window for a really specific line of Thomas and despite lots of googling and phone calls I haven't been able to find anything like it. I know there are a few buy and sell threads going on here, I'd love to be directed to the one that might yield the best results in my hunt for really specific parts.

Thanks guys!

The Golden Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Question

Hi!
Nice to meet another canadian!

I feel like Canada is WAY less strict when it comes to insurance, safty, and paint.
In Manitoba, the people you regester the vehicle with are the same people who give you the insurance. All you have to to is check a box when you insure the bus to regester and insure as an rv.

I don't have to paint the whole bus either. Just the ends.
I also don't have to remove the "wig wag" lights, I just can't use the red ones.
The tire regs. Are far too lax though. I only need 1/16 of tread on my tires!

To post pictures, what I do is.....
Upload pictures to a photo ambum. You can do that on the "PHOTOS" tab.
From there you can copy the BCCode linked under each image into your post.

What line of Thomas window do you need?

EDIT: I HATE POST ICONS!
I DID NOT WANT A QUESTION MARK ON MY POST!
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Bus Geek

I tried to edit it for you (no option)

There are more new members that are Canadian, than american....ya'll taking over??? ;)

and alot of very nice conversions going on!

OH!!! Welcome
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome fellow skoolie.

Just west of Edmonton Alberta Canada here.

Hard core into buses, proud owner of three.

I like taking the engineering and high end products to the extreme on my skoolie projects.

My latest build.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...ime-10138.html

Photo bucket is best for pics. Attaching them to this server / site is a bad idea.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
thanks CC
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Wow Manitoba sounds waaaay more relaxed than Ontario! Service Ontario was pretty chilled out about it, they said I need "4 out of 10" (or something to that effect) of sleeping quarters or a bathroom or a separate battery etc - from what I've glanced this seems similar to the States, and it's a pretty easy set of terms. Insurance on the other hand has been a NIGHTMARE. When I originally looked into getting a bus to use as a bus, I was quoted something in the neighbourhood of $23000/year, when I changed my intention to "conversion" it was still up around $3000 with every company that would even touch it, which wasn't many. Almost all of them won't touch anything that's EVER had a history of being a school bus, and that will be the first words out of their mouth if you mention the word "conversion" I'm lucky because mine is actually a "Transitliner" and it's VIN has never been registered to school use. I eventually talked State Farm into it, and they were okay for a bit, and sent me a policy (when I was only looking for a quote and hadn't bought my bus yet) so then I had them remove it, and they since refused to reinstate it. I went over their head to an ombudsman and have been reassured they're going to have to give me my policy back, BUT not until I've completed all the "RV" changes to their satisfaction. So even though I THINK I've sorted out my dilemma, I'm anticipating some back and forth and nitpicking and arguing with the agency about what constitutes a "kitchen" etc. So exhausting. But I'm optimistic! I've been working on these insurance battles and bus purchasing for two years now, I won't accept defeat

So that was my long-winded angsty insurance rant - I promise I'm otherwise entirely only filled with enthusiasm If you guys have cracked the puzzle that is Canadian Insurance at a reasonable rate please send suggestions!

The bus I have (and need the back window for) is a 1991 Thomas "Transitliner" It has a rear engine and flat nose, so the rear "emergency exit" is a window, not a door, so it's shorter and wider than tradition back windows of buses.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Hi to the others here who have said hello! I seem to be able to upload to a photo album, but not able to post pictures here. This photo album link has a photo of my rear door and the window that needs replacing. I also copied a link to my tumblr page where I'm keeping my most up-to-date progress reports.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...albums691.html
The Golden Bus
Old 05-04-2015, 12:15 AM   #9

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Right click on the image and choose copy image location. Here, click the tab with the mountain and paste location.

Is it massage therapy or the other massage therapy?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Is it massage therapy or the other massage therapy?

It was actually HORSE massage, apparently!

So this is the back window I need to replace somehow:

Tags
canada, conversion, faq, parts, thomas