Old 04-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Hello everybody,

I'm dead set on a C type bus. I've always liked the look of them the best and I feel more comfortable driving something with a little extra metal in front of me. At work they have me driving everything from older super duty f350's to macks and internationals with all sorts of bodies on them, both with hoods sticking out. Sat behind the wheel of a few of the transit style school buses at a local bus yard, even drove one about 200 feet to another parking spot, and I dunno. . . I like the feel of having a hood in front of me.

On the topic of brakes, Air all the way. Just feel its a design better suited for heavy vehicles. Not trying to trash hydraulic or glorify air. Hydraulic may have a smoother feeling pedal than air, but a leaky air system stops the vehicle where a leaky hydraulic system just helps you go faster.

Engine HP and gearing have to be just enough to maintain a stable 55-60mph cruising on flat land, don't mind going slow up a hill. Gearing ways, I'd like it low enough to maintain that 55-60mph highway cruise speed without redlining or having to re-gear the axle. Since my bus is going to be a motorhome, getting there fast isn't much of a priority. If I spend too many hours driving I can pull over, take a nap and eat some lunch and then get back on the road.

Window size and height don't matter much to me as long as the headroom down the center is greater than 6'1." Since a school bus roof is so heavily rounded, there will be no side aisles on my conversion. Been thinking about a rear bathroom and have the shower on the centerline as much as possible.
homemadeheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Played around with Libre Office Draw earlier today. Did a quick floorplan. Now this is just an idea, nothing is accurate or measured. Just for fun.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
So a bowling ball would end up in the shower?

Are you going to cover the back door?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, figured the tub shower would be the best place for the bowling ball. Wont have to worry about it rolling up front while driving. If i cover the back door I can put the shower on center for the most headroom. Just a thought. the window exits should be good enough in case of an emergency.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Isn't that back door about the best place to get big things into the bus?

I agree, you wouldn't want the back door popping open during a shower.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Going to re draw the bathroom area. Thinking about it, I really want to keep the rear door. Going to play with the other ideas I have read on the dropped or sunken shower off to one side.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

OK now, here we go. Cut the length down by a few feet and made the bathroom a little smaller. Hoping to drop the shower between the outside wall and right side frame rail. Got rid of the idea of a washer/dryer and the rear door is now accessible. Maybe the back door can even be a shortcut into the bathroom for outside gatherings or if the kids want to camp outside in a tent there is bathroom access without walking past me 10 times a night. Shower would be sump pumped across to the left side and all waste tanks would be on the left side to shorten dump plumbing.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Oh, I like that better. If the bathroom door is open the bowling ball can go all the way through.

Something I do is use these chrome wire racks with wheels on them for areas like against your back door. They usually have three shelves that hold a lot of stuff and they roll out of the way when you need access to that area. Of course you've got to secure them somehow while you're traveling.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
isit true that handicap busses often have taller ceilings? my 91 carpenter seems to be really tall indside.. I think it has 12" windows.. the windows seem taller than some of the bluebirds ands thomas's..

-Christopher
I'd think handi-buses wouldn't need any extra headroom. they could get away with old school chop tops, actually!
Old 04-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd think handi-buses wouldn't need any extra headroom. they could get away with old school chop tops, actually!
except that the person handling the handicap person needs to be able to get good leverage on the chair and what not so being able to stand up and such is a help.. along with the lift itself seemingly is pretty tall when its in its closed and folded position.

it just seemed like my bus is pretty tall inside..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote