Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Hello fellow skoolie enthusiasts

My name is Rudy, I'm in south florida and im doing my reaserch on different skoolies as i am planning on buying a bus soon so i can begin casually working on it.
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome Rudy

There's a lot of skoolie owners down there if FL.

What are you getting for yourself? Make, model, year, engine, trans? Shorty or long bus?
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,300
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15


__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome Rudy

There's a lot of skoolie owners down there if FL.

What are you getting for yourself? Make, model, year, engine, trans? Shorty or long bus?
Really, I hardly ever see and skoolies around! Lol. Well I think I have finally decided after a lot of thinking that i want to do a long bus! But now im deciding between a flat front or engine in the front. Theres pros and cons to everything. And I dont have my eyes on any modle or year in particular but there is a local bidding on school busses here so i figure once i make a few more decisions and clear the spot in my back yard ill go take my pick. But id love some input on what is preffered or better among school busses
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,467
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy21 View Post
Really, I hardly ever see and skoolies around! Lol. Well I think I have finally decided after a lot of thinking that i want to do a long bus! But now im deciding between a flat front or engine in the front. Theres pros and cons to everything. And I dont have my eyes on any modle or year in particular but there is a local bidding on school busses here so i figure once i make a few more decisions and clear the spot in my back yard ill go take my pick. But id love some input on what is preffered or better among school busses
They come flat front/front engine also. Both flat face, whether FE or RE, have more room inside than a CE or dognose. Flat face FE gives you a rear access door you won't get in a RE.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
They come flat front/front engine also. Both flat face, whether FE or RE, have more room inside than a CE or dognose. Flat face FE gives you a rear access door you won't get in a RE.
Oh wow! Thats great to know, because i really want the flat face but i didnt want the engine in the back so i figured id have to compromise somewhere but now I definitely want flat face/ front engine! I'll have to keep watch on the auctions
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Fun fact- Ruettigers are from my area- I went to HS with them, except dan. Huge wrestling family, well, not huge as they are all short, but huge family 7 - brothers. Top wrestlers.

Go Celtics !!!!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Fun fact- Ruettigers are from my area- I went to HS with them, except dan. Huge wrestling family, well, not huge as they are all short, but huge family 7 - brothers. Top wrestlers.

Go Celtics !!!!
Haha nice, Ive always been told about the football movie Rudy but ive never seen it. See Rudy is my nickname lol and the only sport i watch is online competitive gaming sorry, nerd here lol

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well join the club. I have a 9 window FE at 26'. If you make the driver's seat swivel it becomes part of the living room, provided your living room is in the front of the bus.

If you're looking at a 40' bus, don't accept a small engine or weak transmission even with a big engine and weak transmission. Well, keep reading and you'll learn it all. It doesn't fit in a paragraph because it depends on how you plan to use your bus. Gearing and engine size for your intended use.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Well join the club. I have a 9 window FE at 26'. If you make the driver's seat swivel it becomes part of the living room, provided your living room is in the front of the bus.

If you're looking at a 40' bus, don't accept a small engine or weak transmission even with a big engine and weak transmission. Well, keep reading and you'll learn it all. It doesn't fit in a paragraph because it depends on how you plan to use your bus. Gearing and engine size for your intended use.
Thanks for the advice! I plan to live in it full time with my buddy and do some "light" traveling like just a road trip here and there. I still have a lot to learn about engines and transmissions though

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,300
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Fun fact- Ruettigers are from my area- I went to HS with them, except dan. Huge wrestling family, well, not huge as they are all short, but huge family 7 - brothers. Top wrestlers.

Go Celtics !!!!
Hail! Hail! The Celts are here!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:18 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,300
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy21 View Post
Haha nice, Ive always been told about the football movie Rudy but ive never seen it. See Rudy is my nickname lol and the only sport i watch is online competitive gaming sorry, nerd here lol

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Watch Rudy sometime. Its just such a classic.

I sometimes watch competitive gaming, but all retro stuff like SNES speedrun records and that sort of thing.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 9
Year: 1983
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT-466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Fun fact- Ruettigers are from my area- I went to HS with them, except dan. Huge wrestling family, well, not huge as they are all short, but huge family 7 - brothers. Top wrestlers.

Go Celtics !!!!
Did you go to providence? What year?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mustng78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×