Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello fellow skoolie enthusiasts

My name is Rudy, I'm in south florida and im doing my reaserch on different skoolies as i am planning on buying a bus soon so i can begin casually working on it.

Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome Rudy

There's a lot of skoolie owners down there if FL.

What are you getting for yourself? Make, model, year, engine, trans? Shorty or long bus?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome Rudy

There's a lot of skoolie owners down there if FL.

What are you getting for yourself? Make, model, year, engine, trans? Shorty or long bus?
Really, I hardly ever see and skoolies around! Lol. Well I think I have finally decided after a lot of thinking that i want to do a long bus! But now im deciding between a flat front or engine in the front. Theres pros and cons to everything. And I dont have my eyes on any modle or year in particular but there is a local bidding on school busses here so i figure once i make a few more decisions and clear the spot in my back yard ill go take my pick. But id love some input on what is preffered or better among school busses
Old 02-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy21 View Post
Really, I hardly ever see and skoolies around! Lol. Well I think I have finally decided after a lot of thinking that i want to do a long bus! But now im deciding between a flat front or engine in the front. Theres pros and cons to everything. And I dont have my eyes on any modle or year in particular but there is a local bidding on school busses here so i figure once i make a few more decisions and clear the spot in my back yard ill go take my pick. But id love some input on what is preffered or better among school busses
They come flat front/front engine also. Both flat face, whether FE or RE, have more room inside than a CE or dognose. Flat face FE gives you a rear access door you won't get in a RE.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
They come flat front/front engine also. Both flat face, whether FE or RE, have more room inside than a CE or dognose. Flat face FE gives you a rear access door you won't get in a RE.
Oh wow! Thats great to know, because i really want the flat face but i didnt want the engine in the back so i figured id have to compromise somewhere but now I definitely want flat face/ front engine! I'll have to keep watch on the auctions
Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Fun fact- Ruettigers are from my area- I went to HS with them, except dan. Huge wrestling family, well, not huge as they are all short, but huge family 7 - brothers. Top wrestlers.

Go Celtics !!!!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Fun fact- Ruettigers are from my area- I went to HS with them, except dan. Huge wrestling family, well, not huge as they are all short, but huge family 7 - brothers. Top wrestlers.

Go Celtics !!!!
Haha nice, Ive always been told about the football movie Rudy but ive never seen it. See Rudy is my nickname lol and the only sport i watch is online competitive gaming [emoji28] sorry, nerd here lol

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well join the club. I have a 9 window FE at 26'. If you make the driver's seat swivel it becomes part of the living room, provided your living room is in the front of the bus.

If you're looking at a 40' bus, don't accept a small engine or weak transmission even with a big engine and weak transmission. Well, keep reading and you'll learn it all. It doesn't fit in a paragraph because it depends on how you plan to use your bus. Gearing and engine size for your intended use.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Well join the club. I have a 9 window FE at 26'. If you make the driver's seat swivel it becomes part of the living room, provided your living room is in the front of the bus.

If you're looking at a 40' bus, don't accept a small engine or weak transmission even with a big engine and weak transmission. Well, keep reading and you'll learn it all. It doesn't fit in a paragraph because it depends on how you plan to use your bus. Gearing and engine size for your intended use.
Thanks for the advice! I plan to live in it full time with my buddy and do some "light" traveling like just a road trip here and there. I still have a lot to learn about engines and transmissions though [emoji29]

Old 02-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:

Go Celtics !!!!
Hail! Hail! The Celts are here!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy21 View Post
Haha nice, Ive always been told about the football movie Rudy but ive never seen it. See Rudy is my nickname lol and the only sport i watch is online competitive gaming [emoji28] sorry, nerd here lol

Watch Rudy sometime. Its just such a classic.

I sometimes watch competitive gaming, but all retro stuff like SNES speedrun records and that sort of thing.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #13

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT-466
Quote:

Go Celtics !!!!
Did you go to providence? What year?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mustng78 is offline   Reply With Quote