Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Hello from Brooklyn, NY

Hi there, I am a mom to a 2.5 year old girl and step mom to 11 and 13 year old boys who are with us half the time. We share custody of the boys, so are basically stuck in NY until they are 18.
I would love to get us out of the city more when we can and have been looking into converting a cargo van, but worry it won’t be enough living space especially on rainy days/evening. Was wooed by step vans but the limit on speed seems a bummer. So now looking at a short school bus, but have a lot of questions, including speed, cost of maintenance on a shortie, registration/insurance in nyc, and if it would be worth it for the living space over a cargo van. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thank you!

awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I don't know where you got the impression about "limit on speed". Now it's true that many school buses are set up either mechanically, electronically, or both, limited to a certain top speed (in my case, both!) Find a bus with an appropriate rear axle gear ratio and corresponding transmission and cruising speeds 70+ are possible. Mine has a 5.38 rear gear and 1:1 high gear in the transmission (5-speed manual) and 10R22.5 tires. so I'm limited to ~55 top speed by the engine redline, but an overdrive automatic with this gear ratio will easily cruise 65+ (a simple computer reprogram can remove an electronic limit). I will re-gear mine as time and funds permit.

You may find 3 kids in a step van is pretty crowded so a larger bus may serve you better. I have come to the realization that for full time living, even a full size bus won't be enough room for me, but the shorty I have would be fine for road trips (I won't/don't boondock and it would essentially serve as a steel tent with minimal, if any facilities).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote