Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello from California!

Hi I'm Blue!

I am currently looking to buy a Diesel, Automatic 40ft bus.

I have found a place to stay here in Encinitas, CA while I look, and a place to park my bus while I convert.

My goal is to have it live able within 30 days of bus purchase, so I won't need to keep paying to park my bus, and can take my things out of my 4x8 storage unit that I have been paying 120$ a month on since 2010.

I plan to do a lot of Solar power, but for now I can just use generator to get by. I am hoping by the end of 90 days I can have it set up with Fridge, Solar, W/D etc.

I included a pic of my design. What you are seeing in the pic is my queen size bed/frame, Shower/tub combo and Compost toilet, Dwarf Wood Stove/Fireplace, Futon Pad (instead of couch- easily removed to use the floorspace)
L shaped kitchen with W/D hidden underneath, and Fridge.
Plan to do an induction cooktop and 1 Kitchen sink.

Hope everybody's havin agreat week! I am. Feels like all my dreams are finally coming true. Found the light in the darkness. Hope, when I almost gave up. Answers to my prayers Smiley Face
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_8518.PNG (136.2 KB, 33 views)

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Hi I'm Blue!

I have found a place to stay here in Encinitas, CA while I look, and a place to park my bus while I convert.

My goal is to have it live able within 30 days of bus purchase, so I won't need to keep paying to park my bus, and can take my things out of my 4x8 storage unit that I have been paying 120$ a month on since 2010.

I plan to do a lot of Solar power, but for now I can just use generator to get by. I am hoping by the end of 90 days I can have it set up with Fridge, Solar, W/D etc.

I included a pic of my design. What you are seeing in the pic is my queen size bed/frame, Shower/tub combo and Compost toilet, Dwarf Wood Stove/Fireplace, Futon Pad (instead of couch- easily removed to use the floorspace)

Hope everybody's havin agreat week! I am. Feels like all my dreams are finally coming true. Found the light in the darkness. Hope, when I almost gave up. Answers to my prayers Smiley Face
Hi Blue! Welcome to the forum! I love your future bathroom! Where are you looking for busses (what sites)?

You will find a wealth of experience and knowledge here.

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
Hi Blue! Welcome to the forum! I love your future bathroom! Where are you looking for busses (what sites)?

You will find a wealth of experience and knowledge here.

Sandi
Thank you!
Yes, I have learned soooo much already!
I have looked on Ebay (though I would hate to go across country for a bus that may have been misrepresented etc.)
I have looked at auction sites (I'm not a mechanic, but definitely want my money to go to conversion and not fixing the bus)
I have had the most Luck on local craigslist, and like that I can check it out in person before putting any down etc.
I have also found some random used bus sale sites that I popped into to check out. I really want to see it in person, or have someone reliable look for me if it is farther than a 8 hour drive from Encinitas CA.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #4

Hi Blue,

San Diego Unified School District sells their own. I don't know anything about how they maintain their fleet, but it's close to you Pre-Owned Fleet Sales

I bought mine from First Student. A shortie (5 window) that started service in California and retired in Seattle. Lucky me, my amazing brother is in the PNW and was able to check out the bus and connect with their maintenance manager and felt good about the condition of the bus. Here's their info First Bus Sales | Used Bus Inventory They have fleet sales in Irvine (Orange County), San Bernardino, as well as other locations in CA.

You can also try govdeals and publicsurplus as well as CL.

I bid on several buses before mine came to me. Take your time, hopes and dreams cannot be rushed.
Milagra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thank you!
Yes, I have learned soooo much already!
I have looked on Ebay (though I would hate to go across country for a bus that may have been misrepresented etc.)
I have looked at auction sites (I'm not a mechanic, but definitely want my money to go to conversion and not fixing the bus)
I have had the most Luck on local craigslist, and like that I can check it out in person before putting any down etc.
I have also found some random used bus sale sites that I popped into to check out. I really want to see it in person, or have someone reliable look for me if it is farther than a 8 hour drive from Encinitas CA.
I got mine through: Public Surplus: Auction #1682539 (that's actually my bus)

I couldn't be happier. I drove her from VA to FL with no problem at all. I was able to speak to the supervisor of the bus depot and get the low down on the bus. From my research I found that recently retired school buses were in the best shape, since they are constantly being serviced because of the work that they do.

Just my 2 cents

There may be some on that auction near you!

Sandi
Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71 Mid-ship
Rated Cap: 78
Hello from Nor-Cal!

You have a real advantage being in Southern California. No Rust!! People fly THERE to by rust free buses!

+1 for the government auction sites. I used govdeals (I am not affiliated in any way).

Remember that every bus is going to have some kind of mechanical/maintenance problem, and budget accordingly. If it worked, they'd keep it in service!

Induction cooktop? Washer/dryer? Are you planning on using shore power or a generator mostly? These are very high amperage AC appliances and are difficult to run of of low voltage dc battery systems.

Good luck! Happy bus hunting!
yeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Oh wow thats great Sandi!
Ok I am going to check out those auction sites.
Thanks!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeggs View Post
Hello from Nor-Cal!

You have a real advantage being in Southern California. No Rust!! People fly THERE to by rust free buses!

+1 for the government auction sites. I used govdeals (I am not affiliated in any way).

Remember that every bus is going to have some kind of mechanical/maintenance problem, and budget accordingly. If it worked, they'd keep it in service!

Induction cooktop? Washer/dryer? Are you planning on using shore power or a generator mostly? These are very high amperage AC appliances and are difficult to run of of low voltage dc battery systems.

Good luck! Happy bus hunting!
Ok got it
I am definitely going to check out the auction sites.

I plan to use as much solar as possible. I will have a generator just in case (Need to use it for building anyway since I won't have a power source)
I use a blender and juicer everyday when I have a place to live, so I am figuring out what will be best.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
I use a blender and juicer everyday when I have a place to live, so I am figuring out what will be best.
Welcome to the forum!

I will help you solve the above................
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Oh wow thats great Sandi!
Ok I am going to check out those auction sites.
Thanks!
You're welcome. I'm going to add that not all of the buses are retired due to mechanical issues (as stated in a different post). In my case, the school board received funding for 10 new buses and retired the 10 oldest (I got the newest of those!). My bus received new tires on it about 6 weeks before they new the funding was coming in. So they even have low mileage!!

Keep us posted!

Sandi
Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Hi I'm Blue!

Welcome fellow left coaster.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Welcome fellow left coaster.
Hey Hey~!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I will help you solve the above................
Haha Perfect!