Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello from central PA

Hello everyone !!! I have been reading all the various methods and styles of skoolies and thought it was time to say hi and ask a few questions. My Dad and stepmom have recently went full time rv and my wife likes that idea. I have become attracted to the Thomas pushers. I guess my first question would be what are the pros and cons of fe, re, and dog nose? I see a source in Maryland has several re listed at $2900. I have lots of questions but for now will continue to read.

~Pat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
A dealer in GA had a load of old buses, many, many from Maryland. He bought them at auction and drove them back to GA. The mid-sized one he showed me was so rusty underneath, you could crumble the frame with two fingers. I looked at the rest, and they were all rust-buckets. He must have got them super-cheap...and for an obvious reason....he didn't want too much for them if they were actually solid. I spent more driving across country to find my bus than the bus itself cost. It was worth it to me. My bus has no rust. How much is your timeworth? Are you going to spend a week, two weeks, a month, tearing the bus apart to fix rust issues? If you are unemployed, it may be worth it. If you work a low-paying job, it may be worth it. For me, no rust is worth it even being broke $$$. But some people like restoring old stuff...it's a hobby. Tango's build looks incredible. I need something now.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome aboard! I am originally from central PA.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

thats what i was wondering because of price and how many he has. Has to be a reason .....RUST..... Maybe Texas/Arizona area.
~Pat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
My bus was only $2285 with tax and auction fees (publicsurplus.com). Got it in Tucson, AZ in August when it was 105°; no body wanted to go there to get it! But dealers usually want more - like $5000 to start. They get them at auction and need to make a profit. At the price you quoted, I would be real suspicious. The dealer in GA with the rust-buckets said I was the first customer he ever had to look underneath... He said he just sold one to a 19 year old girl who came with her mom to buy it. Man I feel sorry for her....
Just be careful and look before you leap! Then again I got mine sight unseen, yet I knew in Tucson it would be rust-free, and I bid low enough to fix major things and still be no worse off than buying one from a dealer with mark-up.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote