Old 09-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
good tip on the bolt torque... because yeah I wouldve gone by the torque specs in the book... did you have a rod bolt back out on you?

I had that happen on a Chevy 350 i built a long time ago.. I believe I Missed it during the torque sequence.. once I heard the knocking start i shut it down and towed it home.. it was in an old police cruiser I had built.. got lucky i didnt toss the rod and crash the block..

my engine drips a few drops on the ground after I drive it but I dont use much oil..
of course I still think its sounds louder than it should but everyone tells me the "growl" and what I call the "rattle" is normal in a diesel.. I guess it must be since ive run 8000 miles on the bus in 4 months and the sound hasnt changed one bit... my exhaust manifold bolts like to work loose.. I guess I need to get the torque wrench and set them correct.. im probablyt not torqueing them enough.. but thats a minor thing..

when I accidentilly overfilled the oil by 2 quarts i blew a little out the draft tube at highway speeds but that of course rectified itself after a few thousand miles and the oil level back to normal..

the more I drive the DT360/AT545 combo the more iget confident and comfortable with it.. running it at 55 on the highway I turn about 2300-2500 RPM most of the time and get over 11 MPG... I dont think thats too bad for a school bus...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
THe rear main on a used bus being a bit leaky is par for the course. No worries unless its pissing oil.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
THe rear main on a used bus being a bit leaky is par for the course. No worries unless its pissing oil.
must be a diesel / truck thing.. since every rest area or truck stop i go to theres huge oil marks in the pavement from many a truck thats leaked...

I tend to over-think this stuff too much.. i should treat it like everything else i do.. if it breaks i fix it.. pure and simple...

-Christopher
Old 09-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
good tip on the bolt torque... because yeah I wouldve gone by the torque specs in the book... did you have a rod bolt back out on you?
As Dan was torquing down the bolt it started to stretch instead of tighten. The bolt was turning to the right but the torque wrench was saying it was getting looser. He said "this doesn't feel right!" So we had to do a major hunt to find replacement bolts. International discontinued them. Could only find two places in the country that had them, and one of them wanted me to buy a dozen. I ended up paying $75 for 2 bolts and nuts.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I had a fuel injected Ford 460 in an old rollback truck that had a nut come loose on a rod cap. Broke my heart. That engine had so much power.

On the topic of buses, I called the Raleigh bus garage yesterday to schedule an appointment to go look at their surplus units. I was surprised to learn that every single one of the 78 passenger flat-fronts they have there is a non-runner. At least it saved me a trip over there.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Usually on the surplus page you'll see a little paperclip beside listings that have notes like "rusted out" or "coolant leak" or "does not run." They're supposed to discount any buses with problems by $500. I would have been happy if they had given be that $500 after the bus guy hid the coolant leak from me, but nooooo. I had already signed the title before they finally gave me the bus records that I had asked for fifteen times. I was actually driving off and tuned around to go get them. If I hadn't done that I would never have known to anticipate that problem.

Make sure to get the oil analysis and maintenance records for whatever bus you pick, and look at them BEFORE you sign anything!
Old 09-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

OMGosh, we are in Chapel Hill and just starting our hunt. Our goals are different and we will be focused on a short bus. But perhaps we could share notes. Between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro.....
Newbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:31 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies View Post
OMGosh, we are in Chapel Hill and just starting our hunt. Our goals are different and we will be focused on a short bus. But perhaps we could share notes. Between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro.....

everyone's goals here are different than each other... some are building homes, some party busses, others campers, mobile vet labs, software DEV busses, workshops, you name it.. welcome aboard and join the fun of having a Bus!!! I too have a short bus and Love it.
-Christopher