Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Posts: 16
Year: 1963
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: S95302
Engine: 292 GMC 6
Rated Cap: 21 passenger
Smile Hello from Cranbrook BC

Hi, everyone;
I bought my bus 35 years ago just to move with, but after the move, interest grew into converting it into a camper using the insides of an old Starcraft camper I had, which I used for a few years until 1996, when I parked it until now. I am trying to retire (?) and use the bus for travelling in the next year or two, but in the meantime I am trying to find out more about the bus according to the serial number, which I haven't had much success according to sites I have found. Does anyone know of places or documents that might help me out?
Cheers,
Cliff
__________________
Digging my bus out of the weeds. 1963 GMC 21 passenger bus.
wonderwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 925
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Judging by your info, that's quite the old bus. Not sure how much info will be available on something that old, it likely used the same mechanicals many of the GM trucks of the era used.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:45 AM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 1,607
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

On a bus as old as yours, the VIN is most probably only going to tell you who built the uncompleted chassis and not tell you anything about the bus body.

With a picture I would most probably be able to tell you who built it and approximate age.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,174
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Why do you all think a "63 is "old". Heck...I put anything after WWII in the New category.

It will take some digging, but there is info out there and much easier to source these days what with this Internet thing that's going around.

Good luck with it and please...do post some pix of this old girl.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Posts: 16
Year: 1963
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: S95302
Engine: 292 GMC 6
Rated Cap: 21 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

On a bus as old as yours, the VIN is most probably only going to tell you who built the uncompleted chassis and not tell you anything about the bus body.

With a picture I would most probably be able to tell you who built it and approximate age.
I was tracing the vin on chev trucks on the same vintage but the numbers don't seem to track. I have a picture of the old girl on my profile. Gotta figure out how to put it on my posts as yet.

Cheers,
Cliff
__________________
Digging my bus out of the weeds. 1963 GMC 21 passenger bus.
wonderwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Posts: 16
Year: 1963
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: S95302
Engine: 292 GMC 6
Rated Cap: 21 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Why do you all think a "63 is "old". Heck...I put anything after WWII in the New category.

It will take some digging, but there is info out there and much easier to source these days what with this Internet thing that's going around.

Good luck with it and please...do post some pix of this old girl.
Hi, Tango;
I agree with the age aspect you have. I have a 1957 Hillman Husky wagon and I consider it still relatively new. I love the designs of the '30s cars.

Cliff
__________________
Digging my bus out of the weeds. 1963 GMC 21 passenger bus.
wonderwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 1,607
The picture on your profile tells me you have what turned into the P-30 chassis and would have been either a C40 or C50 chassis in 1963.

The running gear used was a heavy duty 1-ton/light duty 2-ton version. The 8x19.5 wheels have ten holes that use 10-lugs nuts on the rear axles and only 5-lug nuts on the front wheels. Some of those parts and pieces, including the 8x19.5 tires, are getting a little hard to find.

The body identifiers would be easier to guess if you could show us a front and rear view.

The side view tells me it isn't a Gillig, Blue Bird, or Superior. The two outward opening doors suggest Thomas. The wrap around the rear corner rub rail suggests Ward. The shape of the rear cap suggests Carpenter. Nothing suggests Wayne.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
Site Team
 
freakn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast British Columbia
Posts: 106
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome to the site.
Great to see someone else from BC (I'm near Nelson)
__________________
Living the dream in the Kootenays
freakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Posts: 16
Year: 1963
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: S95302
Engine: 292 GMC 6
Rated Cap: 21 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
The picture on your profile tells me you have what turned into the P-30 chassis and would have been either a C40 or C50 chassis in 1963.

The running gear used was a heavy duty 1-ton/light duty 2-ton version. The 8x19.5 wheels have ten holes that use 10-lugs nuts on the rear axles and only 5-lug nuts on the front wheels. Some of those parts and pieces, including the 8x19.5 tires, are getting a little hard to find.

The body identifiers would be easier to guess if you could show us a front and rear view.

The side view tells me it isn't a Gillig, Blue Bird, or Superior. The two outward opening doors suggest Thomas. The wrap around the rear corner rub rail suggests Ward. The shape of the rear cap suggests Carpenter. Nothing suggests Wayne.
Hi Cowlizcoach;
The tires are 7:50X20 with 10 bolts rear and 5 up front. A friend of mine had a set of 19.5 wheels and rims but the bolt spacing was different and the hub was smaller. I have tried finding 20" tires, but as yet, no success. It has a Thomas coach tag inside. I will be up this weekend to take some more pictures of front and back as it is about 20 miles north of home. It was originally a 21 passenger bus. The Thomas tag serial number is 62-155D if that is any help. You are good with your sleuthing .
Cheers,
Cliff
__________________
Digging my bus out of the weeds. 1963 GMC 21 passenger bus.
wonderwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:25 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Posts: 16
Year: 1963
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: S95302
Engine: 292 GMC 6
Rated Cap: 21 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakn View Post
Welcome to the site.
Great to see someone else from BC (I'm near Nelson)
Hi, Freakn;
Your just next door to me. We will have to drop by next visit. We have a few friends in Nelson so there is always an excuse for a drive and see your wheels.

Cheers,
Cliff
__________________
Digging my bus out of the weeds. 1963 GMC 21 passenger bus.
wonderwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.