Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: S95302
Engine: 292 GMC 6
Rated Cap: 21 passenger
Smile Hello from Cranbrook BC

Hi, everyone;
I bought my bus 35 years ago just to move with, but after the move, interest grew into converting it into a camper using the insides of an old Starcraft camper I had, which I used for a few years until 1996, when I parked it until now. I am trying to retire (?) and use the bus for travelling in the next year or two, but in the meantime I am trying to find out more about the bus according to the serial number, which I haven't had much success according to sites I have found. Does anyone know of places or documents that might help me out?
Cheers,
Cliff

Old 06-07-2016, 03:33 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Judging by your info, that's quite the old bus. Not sure how much info will be available on something that old, it likely used the same mechanicals many of the GM trucks of the era used.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:45 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

On a bus as old as yours, the VIN is most probably only going to tell you who built the uncompleted chassis and not tell you anything about the bus body.

With a picture I would most probably be able to tell you who built it and approximate age.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Why do you all think a "63 is "old". Heck...I put anything after WWII in the New category.

It will take some digging, but there is info out there and much easier to source these days what with this Internet thing that's going around.

Good luck with it and please...do post some pix of this old girl.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

On a bus as old as yours, the VIN is most probably only going to tell you who built the uncompleted chassis and not tell you anything about the bus body.

With a picture I would most probably be able to tell you who built it and approximate age.
I was tracing the vin on chev trucks on the same vintage but the numbers don't seem to track. I have a picture of the old girl on my profile. Gotta figure out how to put it on my posts as yet.

Cheers,
Cliff
Old 06-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Why do you all think a "63 is "old". Heck...I put anything after WWII in the New category.

It will take some digging, but there is info out there and much easier to source these days what with this Internet thing that's going around.

Good luck with it and please...do post some pix of this old girl.
Hi, Tango;
I agree with the age aspect you have. I have a 1957 Hillman Husky wagon and I consider it still relatively new. I love the designs of the '30s cars.

Cliff
Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

The picture on your profile tells me you have what turned into the P-30 chassis and would have been either a C40 or C50 chassis in 1963.

The running gear used was a heavy duty 1-ton/light duty 2-ton version. The 8x19.5 wheels have ten holes that use 10-lugs nuts on the rear axles and only 5-lug nuts on the front wheels. Some of those parts and pieces, including the 8x19.5 tires, are getting a little hard to find.

The body identifiers would be easier to guess if you could show us a front and rear view.

The side view tells me it isn't a Gillig, Blue Bird, or Superior. The two outward opening doors suggest Thomas. The wrap around the rear corner rub rail suggests Ward. The shape of the rear cap suggests Carpenter. Nothing suggests Wayne.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome to the site.
Great to see someone else from BC (I'm near Nelson)
Old 06-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The picture on your profile tells me you have what turned into the P-30 chassis and would have been either a C40 or C50 chassis in 1963.

The running gear used was a heavy duty 1-ton/light duty 2-ton version. The 8x19.5 wheels have ten holes that use 10-lugs nuts on the rear axles and only 5-lug nuts on the front wheels. Some of those parts and pieces, including the 8x19.5 tires, are getting a little hard to find.

The body identifiers would be easier to guess if you could show us a front and rear view.

The side view tells me it isn't a Gillig, Blue Bird, or Superior. The two outward opening doors suggest Thomas. The wrap around the rear corner rub rail suggests Ward. The shape of the rear cap suggests Carpenter. Nothing suggests Wayne.
Hi Cowlizcoach;
The tires are 7:50X20 with 10 bolts rear and 5 up front. A friend of mine had a set of 19.5 wheels and rims but the bolt spacing was different and the hub was smaller. I have tried finding 20" tires, but as yet, no success. It has a Thomas coach tag inside. I will be up this weekend to take some more pictures of front and back as it is about 20 miles north of home. It was originally a 21 passenger bus. The Thomas tag serial number is 62-155D if that is any help. You are good with your sleuthing .
Cheers,
Cliff
Old 06-08-2016, 12:25 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakn View Post
Welcome to the site.
Great to see someone else from BC (I'm near Nelson)
Hi, Freakn;
Your just next door to me. We will have to drop by next visit. We have a few friends in Nelson so there is always an excuse for a drive and see your wheels.

Cheers,
Cliff
Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
There are Chinese 20" tires available thru most big rig tire shops. I priced a set for mine at $200 bucks a pop about three years ago here in Houston. But I wound up having to go with 19.5" rims & tires all around when I swapped out my rear axle to get better gearing.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

7.50x20 are tube type tires that are pretty skinny. I haven't seen one of those, new or used, in a really looooooooong time.

The Thomas model designator is not one with which I am familiar. I am not aware of any Thomas buses that were in service in WA state until the '70's.

In WA state the Gillig dealer sold Carpenters, the Crown dealer sold Wayne and Superiors, and there was an IHC dealer who sold Blue Birds. Even today the Thomas dealer for WA state is based in Portland, OR. As a consequence Thomas had no presence here in the '60's.

At a guess I would say the model designator identifies the model year and perhaps the wheelbase. What the 'D' stands for I have no idea.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I think they're available at specialty suppliers.

STA Super Transport -
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
7.50x20 are tube type tires that are pretty skinny. I haven't seen one of those, new or used, in a really looooooooong time.

The Thomas model designator is not one with which I am familiar. I am not aware of any Thomas buses that were in service in WA state until the '70's.

In WA state the Gillig dealer sold Carpenters, the Crown dealer sold Wayne and Superiors, and there was an IHC dealer who sold Blue Birds. Even today the Thomas dealer for WA state is based in Portland, OR. As a consequence Thomas had no presence here in the '60's.

At a guess I would say the model designator identifies the model year and perhaps the wheelbase. What the 'D' stands for I have no idea.

its interesting how regional busses were... when I was growing up (born in 6.. here in ohio you were almost shot as a school fleet director if you bought anything other than a wayne, carpenter, superior.. since they were built in ohio and indiana...

you would see a few thomas or bluebird here and there few and far between...

I didnt know of my first Bluebird until a friend of the family got a job selling them in 1980 to try and crack the midwest market... I remember I was 13 years old in the summer of 81 and he brought a "City-Bird" to my grandmas house.. I got to drive it around the block... I had just begun my fascination with school busses about then... so of course anytime he came to her house he brought a different bus.. which I got to make a loop in the subdivision with....

when superior left and carpenter went into re-org he tipped the midwest market with conventionals and made a $$$$$...

now for whatever reason IC seems to have ohio locked up... I see a few thomas / bluebird but seems 90% of the midwest busses are conventional IC...

maybe people still have some wierd loyalty to IHC since they at one time had multiple plants in ohio.. (including springfield that made a ton of conventional school bus chassis)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
its interesting how regional busses were... when I was growing up (born in 6.. here in ohio you were almost shot as a school fleet director if you bought anything other than a wayne, carpenter, superior.. since they were built in ohio and indiana...

you would see a few thomas or bluebird here and there few and far between...

I didnt know of my first Bluebird until a friend of the family got a job selling them in 1980 to try and crack the midwest market... I remember I was 13 years old in the summer of 81 and he brought a "City-Bird" to my grandmas house.. I got to drive it around the block... I had just begun my fascination with school busses about then... so of course anytime he came to her house he brought a different bus.. which I got to make a loop in the subdivision with....

when superior left and carpenter went into re-org he tipped the midwest market with conventionals and made a $$$$$...

now for whatever reason IC seems to have ohio locked up... I see a few thomas / bluebird but seems 90% of the midwest busses are conventional IC...

maybe people still have some wierd loyalty to IHC since they at one time had multiple plants in ohio.. (including springfield that made a ton of conventional school bus chassis)..

-Christopher
I used to live in Ontario a while back and had a job in the 80s putting two way radios in about 300 buses and there were mostly Thomas, Bluebird and the odd Wayne.
Cliff
Old 06-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I guess I will have to do some serious searching for tires once I get my bus back on the road. I have just asked at my regular tire places around here as yet. I was contemplating changing rear ends also but mine used to do 55 at about 3000 rpm when it was on the road before so around here that is passable. My little Hillman can do 50 at 3300 which for that car is really pushing it so my bus is kinda workable, but will have to do some changes once I do some serious travelling.

Cliff
Old 06-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Hi, everyone;
Just got back from seeing my old bus I call "Barbie", and took a few pictures of her, so started an album of pictures, and also started a thread under "conversions" as "Barbie's refit".

Cheers,
Cliff
Old 06-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: 1959 Chevy
Engine: 350
I'm With tango 63 is new I have a 1941 GMC on a 1.5 ton chasie The body is by Yellow coach of Pontiac mi just down the street from GMC. GMC bought Yellow to make the bus and special trucks. there is a GMC truck sight and Stove bolt trucks has info on old GMC. Most thing are different on GMC than Chevy even thou they look similar I believe your year still has a GMC 6cyl or a pontiac V8, On my year and not sure when they changed the wheel bolt pattern is different than Chevy, chevys will not fit I am in need of several rims my self only 5 bolt 7 hand hold wheels with a 6in hub opening fit. These wheel are hub centering not bolt centering. GMC was truly a heavier truck not just a re-badged Chevy
Good luck,
Larry
sky nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky nighthawk View Post
I'm With tango 63 is new I have a 1941 GMC on a 1.5 ton chasie The body is by Yellow coach of Pontiac mi just down the street from GMC. GMC bought Yellow to make the bus and special trucks. there is a GMC truck sight and Stove bolt trucks has info on old GMC. Most thing are different on GMC than Chevy even thou they look similar I believe your year still has a GMC 6cyl or a pontiac V8, On my year and not sure when they changed the wheel bolt pattern is different than Chevy, chevys will not fit I am in need of several rims my self only 5 bolt 7 hand hold wheels with a 6in hub opening fit. These wheel are hub centering not bolt centering. GMC was truly a heavier truck not just a re-badged Chevy
Good luck,
Larry
Hi, Larry;
I didn't know that GMC had Yellow Coach. There is always something new to learn each day but it is only logical. My bus has 750:20 tires, 8.875" between bolts 6.25" hub, but I didn't realize Chev and GM wheels are different. That is also good to know. I was quoted $300 per tire for Chinese tires including mounting and tubes in town from our local truck shop, and the engine is a 292 from what I have learned. Thank you for the info. I have been on Stovebolts site but don't have any info on the GMC site you mentioned and didn't even know it existed.

Cliff