Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 3
Hello from Denver! And a few quick questions

Hello! I was turned to this awesome community by a member I found elsewhere (TAOLIK)! Thanks! So far everybody seems great.

Recently my wife and I stayed in a tiny home (permanent 1950s trailer) and while we've never been opposed to the idea of living in one, we fell in love with skoolies on the drive home. Since then (relatively recently) we've been toying with the idea of renovating a bus! We're outdoorsy, and the idea of having a mobile home-base is awesome (we use my truck for this now). We also love the idea of having minimal bills/no rent. In other words, a working, reliable bus that can scooch us around and allows us to live 'wherever' we want is really desirable. It sounds like the perfect lifestyle for me... hopefully.

Anyway, a few quick questions:
1) Where does one find semi-permanent locations to park the bus? I work at a hospital and will be getting my doctoral degree starting in fall of 2017 in either Seattle or Boulder (4yrs). I like the idea of being able to move my house anywhere while being in school, but it's not the easiest thing to find parking for. Plus, I have a hunch it's probably not exactly legal. This feels like the biggest obstacle in our way. This leads to question 2...
2) Are there ways to live 'off the grid' as full-time as possible, while maintaining a presence in a city like Seattle or Boulder? I mean moreso the bus than ourselves (hygiene and food are easy solutions). I grew up in CO and live in Denver, so I have an idea of what to do in Boulder... But legality still feels like an issue. Or do you find someone's backyard to park a ridiculously large vehicle in semi-permanently? That sounds like a good way to upset neighbors.

We have from now until the end of next summer to figure out if this is something we can make work, I hope to join your community while I learn what fits us best!

As a side note... I DO have land and a permanent place to park the bus in Colorado Springs (septic, power, and well included). However, there isn't much in the Springs for us...

I'll be checking this guy out tonight, and will purchase if things go right: 89 Blue Bird 65 passenger school bus....tiny house starter 4/10K

This one just caught my eye but it's probably a bit on the pricey side: 2000 International RE3000 84 Passenger School Bus

Thanks a bunch - Andrew
heyoceanfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:23 AM   #2
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyoceanfloor View Post
Hello! I was turned to this awesome community by a member I found elsewhere (TAOLIK)! Thanks! So far everybody seems great.

Recently my wife and I stayed in a tiny home (permanent 1950s trailer) and while we've never been opposed to the idea of living in one, we fell in love with skoolies on the drive home. Since then (relatively recently) we've been toying with the idea of renovating a bus! We're outdoorsy, and the idea of having a mobile home-base is awesome (we use my truck for this now). We also love the idea of having minimal bills/no rent. In other words, a working, reliable bus that can scooch us around and allows us to live 'wherever' we want is really desirable. It sounds like the perfect lifestyle for me... hopefully.

Anyway, a few quick questions:
1) Where does one find semi-permanent locations to park the bus? I work at a hospital and will be getting my doctoral degree starting in fall of 2017 in either Seattle or Boulder (4yrs). I like the idea of being able to move my house anywhere while being in school, but it's not the easiest thing to find parking for. Plus, I have a hunch it's probably not exactly legal. This feels like the biggest obstacle in our way. This leads to question 2...
2) Are there ways to live 'off the grid' as full-time as possible, while maintaining a presence in a city like Seattle or Boulder? I mean moreso the bus than ourselves (hygiene and food are easy solutions). I grew up in CO and live in Denver, so I have an idea of what to do in Boulder... But legality still feels like an issue. Or do you find someone's backyard to park a ridiculously large vehicle in semi-permanently? That sounds like a good way to upset neighbors.

We have from now until the end of next summer to figure out if this is something we can make work, I hope to join your community while I learn what fits us best!

As a side note... I DO have land and a permanent place to park the bus in Colorado Springs (septic, power, and well included). However, there isn't much in the Springs for us...

I'll be checking this guy out tonight, and will purchase if things go right: 89 Blue Bird 65 passenger school bus....tiny house starter 4/10K

This one just caught my eye but it's probably a bit on the pricey side: 2000 International RE3000 84 Passenger School Bus

Thanks a bunch - Andrew

If you have a place already good to go right now CO Springs. I would suggest using that land as a sort of home base that you can come back to as well as build from(assuming you have power). Remember, your bus can let you go anywhere at anytime. As for parking IN denver proper, i suggest checking with local ordinances on what is and is not legal. If you can park an RV in a driveway. It is a pretty good bet you can put a school bus there as well. Again, it all depends in fairly certain no one will care in Co. Springs what you do. After you graduate from school, a lot will change as far as freedom goes.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,093
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyoceanfloor View Post
Hello! I was turned to this awesome community by a member I found elsewhere (TAOLIK)! Thanks! So far everybody seems great.

Recently my wife and I stayed in a tiny home (permanent 1950s trailer) and while we've never been opposed to the idea of living in one, we fell in love with skoolies on the drive home. Since then (relatively recently) we've been toying with the idea of renovating a bus! We're outdoorsy, and the idea of having a mobile home-base is awesome (we use my truck for this now). We also love the idea of having minimal bills/no rent. In other words, a working, reliable bus that can scooch us around and allows us to live 'wherever' we want is really desirable. It sounds like the perfect lifestyle for me... hopefully.

Anyway, a few quick questions:
1) Where does one find semi-permanent locations to park the bus? I work at a hospital and will be getting my doctoral degree starting in fall of 2017 in either Seattle or Boulder (4yrs). I like the idea of being able to move my house anywhere while being in school, but it's not the easiest thing to find parking for. Plus, I have a hunch it's probably not exactly legal. This feels like the biggest obstacle in our way. This leads to question 2...
2) Are there ways to live 'off the grid' as full-time as possible, while maintaining a presence in a city like Seattle or Boulder? I mean moreso the bus than ourselves (hygiene and food are easy solutions). I grew up in CO and live in Denver, so I have an idea of what to do in Boulder... But legality still feels like an issue. Or do you find someone's backyard to park a ridiculously large vehicle in semi-permanently? That sounds like a good way to upset neighbors.

We have from now until the end of next summer to figure out if this is something we can make work, I hope to join your community while I learn what fits us best!

As a side note... I DO have land and a permanent place to park the bus in Colorado Springs (septic, power, and well included). However, there isn't much in the Springs for us...

I'll be checking this guy out tonight, and will purchase if things go right: 89 Blue Bird 65 passenger school bus....tiny house starter 4/10K

This one just caught my eye but it's probably a bit on the pricey side: 2000 International RE3000 84 Passenger School Bus

Thanks a bunch - Andrew
Look for Charles M. He's a forum member who lives in a bus in Denver and owns a bus yard.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 1,607
Seattle is becoming a city full of maroons and luney tunes. As a consequence it is becoming increasingly difficult to do anything that is the least bit unconventional. Before you head to Seattle with your bus home I would suggest it would be best to secure a space for it.

Since most of the hospitals are downtown commuting can be a bit of a bother. Public transit in Seattle works fairly well if you are going north or south along the I-5 corridor. If you have to go east or west it can be a challenge.

If the first bus is the bus with the rood raise the price isn't bad. If the bus in question is the first bus then the price is about 2X of what it should be.

The second bus would make a much better candidate for a couple of reasons. First, it is larger. Since it is a Type 'D' 84-passenger bus it will have almost ten more feet of inside space while only being about five feet longer. Second, since it has luggage compartments it is most likely already geared to go highway speeds. As far as price is concerned, I would offer $6K because it has a lot of miles and I am a cheapskate.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 3
Hey, thanks for all the awesome replies!

Quote:
If you have a place already good to go right now CO Springs. I would suggest using that land as a sort of home base that you can come back to as well as build from(assuming you have power).
This is essentially what I plan to do while building it/living in it and not working before I head off to school. I love the idea of buying one and living in it ASAP to stop paying rent, but I still have to get to work at my hospital in Denver regularly and classes will start up here again in the fall and spring (also in Denver). Commuting from COSprings to Denver with the influx of people moving here sounds hellish. Especially because my SUV doesn't get great gas mileage to begin with! I'd like to give myself as much time as possible to build it out... but if it doesn't have a home when it's done, there isn't much of a point (unless I skip grad school, probably a bad idea).

Quote:
If you can park an RV in a driveway. It is a pretty good bet you can put a school bus there as well.
I checked for Denver and parking it anywhere longer than two hours is prohibited. Seattle also doesn't allow anything over 80 inches wide. Thanks for tuning me in there! It looks like I'd have to secure a backyard or something similar to make this work... Not sure what the best solution is then, but there probably is one somewhere!

Quote:
Look for Charles M. He's a forum member who lives in a bus in Denver and owns a bus yard.
Thanks! Will do.

Quote:
Before you head to Seattle with your bus home I would suggest it would be best to secure a space for it.
I think that's our main goal at this point. All the benefits a bus would provide are nullified if it doesn't have a home. Any suggestions for ideas on spaces? I see there are a few trailer parks which I haven't followed up on, but otherwise I'm unsure. I wouldn't mind paying a little for space (and ideally water/electric). Anything's better than full rent. I'm guessing someone's backyard will probably upset those conventional neighbors there. We'll have a car and bikes wherever we wind up living which should help with city transportation.

Quote:
If the first bus is the bus with the rood raise the price isn't bad. If the bus in question is the first bus then the price is about 2X of what it should be.

The second bus would make a much better candidate for a couple of reasons. First, it is larger. Since it is a Type 'D' 84-passenger bus it will have almost ten more feet of inside space while only being about five feet longer. Second, since it has luggage compartments it is most likely already geared to go highway speeds. As far as price is concerned, I would offer $6K because it has a lot of miles and I am a cheapskate.
Thanks for the input! I skipped looking at the second bus last night... He sent out a mass text asking "everybody" to wait at the gate and the first to have a 2k non-refundable deposit could take it. Sounded competitive and steep, and I think it has no raised roof.

I love that second one! But, as you said, I think it's a bit early to be buying. I need to secure a spot for fall of 2017 in Seattle and Boulder first I think.
heyoceanfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 39
Hi from a fellow Denverite! I sent you a PM with my contact info...
BlueBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kent, WA (Seattle)
Posts: 387
Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Hey I remember you! Cowlitzcoach nailed it with Seattle, Seattle sucks. If you're looking in Seattle make sure to look away from the heart of seattle (between downtown and U district). You may have some luck in Beacon Hill (SE), West Seattle (gentrified white center), White Center (SW)(ghetto), georgetown (S), Northgate (north), you also may meet poor college students around U district or Coops open to bending some rules for you. The further from Seattle you go the easier it will be. I live in Kent (40 min south of seattle), and it treats me well: Other outer cities include, renton, tukwilla, lynnwood.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:32 AM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,402
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
as a guest, i've parked my bus at Denver Porter. the hospitals seem pretty accommodating for short term stays anyway. maybe worth asking some hospital administrator.
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 3
https://appleton.craigslist.org/rvs/5631204797.html

Any thoughts on this bus? Might be a bit too far of a drive for me regardless, unfortunately.
heyoceanfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
My husband and I are interested in possibly moving to Colorado for a year or two. We are looking into Denver, Colorado Springs, and Boulder. I would love to find out more info on long term parking in these areas. Are tiny house communities welcoming of Skoolies?
AmandaVillanueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.