Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
Hello from Florida

Hello,

I wanted to make my intro post here on Skoolie.net as I have been a lurker for some time and finally took the plunge on a govdeals 1999 International 3800 14 Passenger Bluebird DT466E which I hope to pickup in Texas next week and drive back to Florida. I am super excited to be apart of this community and hopefully meet some of you all along the way. Thank you to those that have paved the path before me.

Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 148
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Congrats on your purchase - and good luck on the pick up. Post pictures!!
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14







Pictures from GovDeals. The school board is on Spring Break this week, else I'd go pick the bus up sooner!
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
Almost There
 
jonb8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Elizabeth WV
Posts: 74
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 466
Nice bus, good luck on your journey....
jonb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 1,264
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
A shorty with that engine is a good setup.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
Thanks guys! I just got the line setting report on this bus.

International : DT466E HEUI INT DSL
190HP-2300RPM 49ST 49 State 190 HP
@ 2300 RPM, 485 lb-ft Torque @ 1500
RPM, 2600 RPM Governed Speed, 195
Peak HP (Max)
( 0012NKB )

ALLISON AT5454-SPD AUTO
TRANS 4-Speed; Includes TC-290
Torque Converter and Transmission
Oil Filter; and Less Retarder & PTO
Gear

Original Gear Ratio : 3.91

15X1.435 FRT DISC HYD BRK
"DIAMONDLIFE" "DiamondLife"
15.00" x 1.44" Rotors; Dual
2.60" (66mm) Diam. Pistons


So it appears it is going to be governed for my trip home? Any way to overcome it? What is a good cruising RPM for this setup on the highway? Will I likely be stuck at 55MPH? I'll be heading up and around the gulf coast of Texas back to Florida. Appears it also has hydraulic brakes.
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyed View Post
Thanks guys! I just got the line setting report on this bus.

International : DT466E HEUI INT DSL
190HP-2300RPM 49ST 49 State 190 HP
@ 2300 RPM, 485 lb-ft Torque @ 1500
RPM, 2600 RPM Governed Speed, 195
Peak HP (Max)
( 0012NKB )

ALLISON AT5454-SPD AUTO
TRANS 4-Speed; Includes TC-290
Torque Converter and Transmission
Oil Filter; and Less Retarder & PTO
Gear

Original Gear Ratio : 3.91

15X1.435 FRT DISC HYD BRK
"DIAMONDLIFE" "DiamondLife"
15.00" x 1.44" Rotors; Dual
2.60" (66mm) Diam. Pistons


So it appears it is going to be governed for my trip home? Any way to overcome it? What is a good cruising RPM for this setup on the highway? Will I likely be stuck at 55MPH? I'll be heading up and around the gulf coast of Texas back to Florida. Appears it also has hydraulic brakes.
The governed speed you are seeing there is the engine RPM, something you do not want to mess around with until you know what you are doing.

There is no indication of the Final Drive Ratio. That 3.91 is not it ... If it were 3.91 you would be going much faster and have poor acceleration.

You need to look into the numbers more, or get under the bus and find the metal tag on the rear axle housing that will have the ratio stamped on it.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
The governed speed you are seeing there is the engine RPM, something you do not want to mess around with until you know what you are doing.

There is no indication of the Final Drive Ratio. That 3.91 is not it ... If it were 3.91 you would be going much faster and have poor acceleration.

You need to look into the numbers more, or get under the bus and find the metal tag on the rear axle housing that will have the ratio stamped on it.

I am also showing an option for a speed governer that says 55 MPH by default. So I am assuming there is two, one for speed and one for RPM?

Also as far as the rear end I can't find anything else on the Line sheet other then 391. I go to pickup the bus next week was hoping to try and figure out what speed I might be able to cruise home at.

Thanks!
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyed View Post
I am also showing an option for a speed governer that says 55 MPH by default. So I am assuming there is two, one for speed and one for RPM?

Also as far as the rear end I can't find anything else on the Line sheet other then 391. I go to pickup the bus next week was hoping to try and figure out what speed I might be able to cruise home at.

Thanks!
If it is the case that 3.91 is the FD Ratio, then your cruising speed will be pretty much anything you want it to be once the engine speed limit is disabled.

Anyone with the correct equipment can do that for you, even the mechanics at the bus depot if that is where you are picking it up from. They may not be willing

AT 2600 RPM with 22.5 tires your theoretical top speed is 81 mph
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
Almost There
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 71
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: MBE 904
YES! awesome..
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
If it is the case that 3.91 is the FD Ratio, then your cruising speed will be pretty much anything you want it to be once the engine speed limit is disabled.

Anyone with the correct equipment can do that for you, even the mechanics at the bus depot if that is where you are picking it up from. They may not be willing

AT 2600 RPM with 22.5 tires your theoretical top speed is 81 mph

That would be super cool. I am assuming I could do it myself with Servicemaxx software and a $600 cable? Great math and information. How much would that shift with 245/70/19.5 tires that my bus is equipped with front and rear?

Thanks for your help man!
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyed View Post
That would be super cool. I am assuming I could do it myself with Servicemaxx software and a $600 cable? Great math and information. How much would that shift with 245/70/19.5 tires that my bus is equipped with front and rear?

Thanks for your help man!
You can get the adaptor for around $250. Ebay has them and I've not heard reports of them not working.

Top speed would be 68.46 mph

I use this tool ... play with it:

Gear Ratio Calculator
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You can get the adaptor for around $250. Ebay has them and I've not heard reports of them not working.

Top speed would be 68.46 mph

I use this tool ... play with it:

Gear Ratio Calculator
Thanks for the gear ratio calculator link!

I saw those clone Nexiq adapter cables on ebay, I did some reading and they are basicly just a clone of the Nexiq V1 even though they are labled as Nexiq 2. Have you had any experience with them? I wasn't sure if it was worth the 2/3rds more cost to buy the actual Nexiq 2 adapter or not?
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
I bought the cable and will check it out. I need to grab a used toughbook sometime to setup some VM's for the software. I am all set with insurance and tag / registration. Just booking my flight today and then I head on out to Texas to start the 1400 mile journey back to Florida!
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyed View Post
I bought the cable and will check it out. I need to grab a used toughbook sometime to setup some VM's for the software. I am all set with insurance and tag / registration. Just booking my flight today and then I head on out to Texas to start the 1400 mile journey back to Florida!
You'll find a used HP Elitebook to be better spec'd and much cheaper than a Toughbook.

My 2760P has been all over the US on a motorcycle. It's still performing just fine.

They are perfectly fine for use in the bus or shop.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You'll find a used HP Elitebook to be better spec'd and much cheaper than a Toughbook.

My 2760P has been all over the US on a motorcycle. It's still performing just fine.

They are perfectly fine for use in the bus or shop.

Killer advice on the Elitebook. I'm going to hunt down one like your 2760P. Thanks again man! I am currently in automotive school and the goal is to end up a diesel mechanic, one of the reasons I wanted a school so bad. There are no diesel mechanic schools around my area. I was also excited that the DT466E is wet sleeved and I can hopefully one day do a full rebuild.

Thanks again man, Glad to meet others on the same page!
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
Twigg - Any Idea as to what temperatures I should expect / anything to watch out for on my first journey and first bus driving experience?
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
I did buy a scangauge D for the trip.
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyed View Post
Twigg - Any Idea as to what temperatures I should expect / anything to watch out for on my first journey and first bus driving experience?
If you mean temperature of the moving parts ....

Anything under 205F (ish) for the engine is fine. 195F is better.

Transmission ... Best kept under 200F, but many won't do that. Up to 220F is okay, but the fluid is getting pretty hot by then if it holds for any distance.

If the engine starts to get hot on a grade, turn on all the heaters to help bring it down.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 31
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
If you mean temperature of the moving parts ....

Anything under 205F (ish) for the engine is fine. 195F is better.

Transmission ... Best kept under 200F, but many won't do that. Up to 220F is okay, but the fluid is getting pretty hot by then if it holds for any distance.

If the engine starts to get hot on a grade, turn on all the heaters to help bring it down.
You are the man! Would you do a parking lot oil change or anything or just make sure the fluids are all topped off etc and wait till I get home? Any advice on where to purchase tires should the need arise?

Thanks again for being so awesome.
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×