Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

Hello from HOT sunny Phoenix

Hello all,
2 newbies looking for info. We're just beginning our skoolie journey. We discovered the forum last night and decided to sign up and say hello. We are Joe and Krysta, an aerospace machinist and flight attendant. Living in PHX. Two beagles, love offroading, camping, dogs, shooting, etc. Looking to get away from working just to live, and enjoying life more.

BigBlueWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #2

Particularly interested in how to insulate, AC, and live FT with dogs in your skoolie!
BigBlueWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome!

I read it takes a whole lot of solar to keep up with AC in AZ heat, but i suspect you all may be good candidates for the project.
Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

There are several who have embraced the life style fully and live full time in their bus. So this is the place to be to learn more about converted school buses.

You will get many different opinions about every aspect of life in the converted school bus world. But there are some issues most will agree are very important.

First off, whichever type of bus you plan to purchase you need to find the best one out there that meets your needs. For instance, it will save you lots of $$$ if you purchase a bus that can travel at highway speeds than to upgrade a bus that can't.

Second, don't purchase anything that has rust. I am not talking about the sort of surface rust one can find underneath a CA or AZ bus but the cancer rust that is endemic to buses found for sale in places like NY, PA, and OH.

Third, remember this is supposed to be fun!

In regards to insulation, there are a lot of differing opinions as to what is the best way to do it. What almost everyone will agree on is that the better you insulate at the beginning the warmer you will be in the winter and cooler you will be in the summer. It is much easier and cost effective to insulate well at the beginning than to try and improve after your build up has begun.

There are a lot of different ways in which to get A/C into your bus. The easiest and loudest way is to use roof top RV style units. But some are now utilizing what are known as basement units that are much quieter and much more efficient. But you have to pay a lot more for quiet and efficient.

Living with pets in a bus presents some interesting challenges. High among them are keeping them safe when outside temps go in excess of 80*. Being stuck inside a bus without working A/C is going to be not a whole lot different from being stuck inside a car with the windows rolled up.

Good luck and Happy Trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the biggest issue with hot temperatures and pets is how quickly a bus or RV temperature can climb... ie you leave with your A/C blasting and your pets are home... dumbass hits a pole and your shore power is out... how do you protect the pets? a Home takes quite a few hours even in phoenix to get hot enough to cause serious injury.. a bus or RV its a matter of less than an hour...

if I lived full time in a bus / RV I would not have any pets... and of course oyu never leave children at home even in a house so same applies in the bus..
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueWJ View Post
Particularly interested in how to insulate, AC, and live FT with dogs in your skoolie!
I'm in South Florida so we feel your heart problems here too!

We ended up with spray foam after removing everything from floors to ceiling.
Then sound deadening board from condos along the floors and walls.
It works pretty well
Old 06-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the biggest issue with hot temperatures and pets is how quickly a bus or RV temperature can climb... ie you leave with your A/C blasting and your pets are home... dumbass hits a pole and your shore power is out... how do you protect the pets? a Home takes quite a few hours even in phoenix to get hot enough to cause serious injury.. a bus or RV its a matter of less than an hour...

if I lived full time in a bus / RV I would not have any pets... and of course oyu never leave children at home even in a house so same applies in the bus..
-Christopher
Auto gen start
Old 06-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereFast View Post
Auto gen start
and hopefully some remote monitoring tools to measure temperatures and alert you.
having the A/C pop the breaker (which camper air is good at) due to a quick restart or power surge is common...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Welcome from sunny Utah. I am also an aerospace machinist, its convenient to be able to make about anything you need/ want. Me and my MRS are in the same boat of trying to work less, live more, and enjoy life everyday... She has been slow to get on board with the Skoolie, but she is slowly selling out to joy instead of image...
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote