Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International/AmTran
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: 7.3 T444E
Rated Cap: 40 Passenger
Hello from Massachusetts

Hi everyone,

I've been reading all of your post for more than a month now, but this is my first time posting. I own and operate several recovery (sober) homes for men and women who are cleaning their lives up after being addicted to drugs and alcohol.

I found my way here because I was originally looking to purchase a shuttle type bus large enough to take everyone to various outings, but I got sidetracked when I also starting thinking about throwing some "Sober Parties" for them (they still like to party, just in a sober environment). So then I started thinking about maybe a party type bus, and I was intending on doing a bus conversion.

However, when I started reading this forum I started to hear about the cost and the time that it takes to convert a bus the way you want it. So I then started looking for busses that were already converted. Well I found a bus to my liking, but it was located in New Orleans, LA.

I hired a driver off of Craig's List and he made the 1500 mile trip from LA to MA. It took him 5 days, which included several break downs for minor things (battery terminal was loose, the fuel cap fell off, and the inverter drained the battery,etc.), but the bus arrived in one piece and now I'll start doing the renovations that I want, but it still wont be as major as a full bus conversion.

The bus already has had the seats removed and reinstalled in the limo style seating, but they are in need of re-upolstery. The floor has the diamond plated covering throughout the bus. It already has two Aviant A/C units on the roof, and they are both powered by generators, which were included. It already has a tremendous sound system including new stereo, amplifiers, side speakers, inverter, lights, kick boxes, etc. Also, I was able to go to the registry and immediately get it registered as a Camper.

I paid more than double the price, I've read that most people on here have paid for their busses, but as the saying goes, "Time if money." I met a really good deisel mechanic and he said my bus sounded really good, but he took a sample of all the fluids and he's going to bring them back to his shop to have them tested. He said, like DNA, it will tell me everything about the engine?

Right now I'm dealing with no heat, and my poor driver was freezing from about Alabama to Massachusetts. I found where the hose was broken under the seat towards the back of the bus and the nozzel from the engine was turned off. That will be my next fix, and we'll go from there.

Sorry for the long initial post, but thanks for reading and I really love all the information that this site provides.

Summ1 is offline   Reply With Quote