Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Hello from MD, Recommendations?

Hi all!

Now that I'm finishing up one project (Toyota engine swap), it's time for another! I'm looking at getting a short-ish commuter bus to convert. I'm a tall guy (6-2 on a good day), so the typical skoolie format is a bit short for me.

What should I look for in a project bus? I'd like to be able to tow my truck (Toyota Pickup, flat-tow or dolly) to events, or my car on vacation.

pic of said truck:

irab88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Welcome! Where in MD? I'm in Burtonsville, between DC and Balto.

Clearly you know how to sneak up on a herd of buses without spooking them. That's a great start! Are any of those under consideration? Most anything larger than a cutaway van conversion will pull a vehicle, and a lot of those will do the job also. That doesn't limit your choices much.

What are your plans? Weekends, a month at a time, fulltime? Just you, significant other, 2 kids, 4 dogs? If you are tall you might want to consider a roof raise.

I think I saw that you registered a while back. If you haven't read everything on the site, do so. Except Rusty's posts. He just likes to stir things up.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

Ha, thanks!

I've been interested in a skoolie-type conversion for a while, but now it's my next project (hence the gap between register and post).

None of those are candidates, I just thought it was a neat setting at the time, and found it fitting to this forum.

I'd prefer something along the lines of a shuttle bus, as I know they're tall enough and already not-yellow . But now you've got me thinking about how well it will tow.

This project will be used for weekend camping and the occasional week-long vacation. It will just be myself and significant other. I've upgraded from tent, to pop-up, and now to hard-side, so the small space isn't an issue. I just need a bed for two and some space to wait out a storm.

I'm in southern MD, near the Patuxent River and Prince Frederick.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be sure to browse when I'm not at work...
Old 02-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #4

Huh, I wrote out a reply, but it didn't post...

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! I'm in Southern MD, near Prince Frederick and the Patuxent River.

This project will be just me and my SO, so I don't need a full-size camper. Just somewhere to sleep and wait out a storm.

I was thinking of using a shuttle-bus, as they're tall enough inside and are already not yellow

I don't plan on using it for more than a few days at a time, maybe the occasional week-long vacation. Doesn't need to be fancy.

And yes, I'll make sure to look around some more. Lots of great threads here.

"Oh boy, another project to never finish..."
Old 02-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by irab88 View Post
Huh, I wrote out a reply, but it didn't post...

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! I'm in Southern MD, near Prince Frederick and the Patuxent River.

This project will be just me and my SO, so I don't need a full-size camper. Just somewhere to sleep and wait out a storm.

I was thinking of using a shuttle-bus, as they're tall enough inside and are already not yellow [emoji3]

I don't plan on using it for more than a few days at a time, maybe the occasional week-long vacation. Doesn't need to be fancy.

And yes, I'll make sure to look around some more. Lots of great threads here.
Especially rusty :stir:duck:

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote