Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #1

Hello from Minnesota!

Hi everyone! I am currently a bus driver and waiting for my boss to sell me a bus. My fiancé and I will be newbies to bus conversions so anyone that is willing to give us advice would be wonderful.

mj91412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-ER
Engine: 3126B/MD3060/Air brakes/spring suspension/low roof
Rated Cap: 84
Howdy! We're living in in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. What sort of unit are you hoping to purchase?

We bought ours from Florida, and then moved it out here to MN. We were shocked at the sheer number of school buses in this area. It's unreal how many private operators there seem to be, and how many delicious equipment combinations I've seen driving around. Very different from Maine, where we both came from.
OurBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Hello from MN as well! we are just south of the cities a bit. The bus we bought was from a private operator and was in excellent condition, nothing wrong with it except some rust.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

The company I work for has locations all over the southwestern part of the state and near/in the cities. I can't remember what type of bus exactly only that it is a manual. Due to school starting soon they are very preoccupied with that for the moment. We should be getting it later this year and I would love to pick your brains for information when the time comes. I know the first thing we would like to do is insulate it and get a corn or pellet stove inside due to the cold winters here
mj91412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

So are any of you guys from minnesota living in your busses yet. I live in southern mn but would love to live in my bus by fall of 2017. Where in mn can one park thier bus without getting harrased by the law or getting kicked out of a campground for the winter.
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi Blueman,

I posted a ad on Craigslist wanted section for "Skoolie parking"
and received a few responses from people with space for bus.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Skoolie

Welcome to the madness. This Skoolie thing is addictive, hope you get a bus soon to fuel your passion.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
Hi Blueman,

I posted a ad on Craigslist wanted section for "Skoolie parking"
and received a few responses from people with space for bus.

Good luck!
Are they gonna let you park it for free? And will they let you snag up on electric and water (paid or free)?

Maybe I need to post an ad like that, can you link yours so I can get an idea of how to word it?
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Here is the ad, actually i just remebered that the Nightwatchman thing worked well too; there are a lot of people and construction sites that need someone to watch their property and basically just be there in case people come around looking to steal stuff. They often offer free parking in trade for our presence there. Something to consider.

Skoolie parking

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks, that will help.... I hadn't thought about the night watchman thing, I'm a night owl anyway so that might be a selling point. I just wonder if they would be ok with me converting while on site...
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote