Old 06-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
why is wind poer not feasible opn a skoolie? our local energy companies have several rigs built on trucks that they take to demos.. each one has a solar array and a couple different windmill devices.. the windmills are on 30 foot poles that fold up and down. they lay alongside and are fastened to the rig. the bladespan lays against the sides for travelling. seems on a skoolie you could do at least 1 if not 2 of those. a lot of people seem to be travelling into wide open spaces and even mountainness areas where wind may be available 24 hrs / day.. to get 1000 watts out of a single unit isnt out of the reasonable.. have 2 of them and you are doing pretty well...
-Christopher
Christopher
Don't get me wrong I love wind power, I think it's a great thing for the future but until we can get a reasonably priced solution that would work on RV's it's going to be too much trouble. I'm also willing to be proved wrong and I may also look into it at some point, I did five years in KS and was getting ready to put one up on my farm till I was offered another posting. I'm quite into sailboats and they are common place in that community. I'm also sure some people on here have them already. But for me the frequency of moving around and finding suitable spots and putting up with the noise is not going to work. There also not cheap and solar is coming down in price fast... I also think the brands such as silent wind aren't that silent and the yield may be not as good as an RV'er would find acceptable. Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I never realized there was a lot of noise with wind turbines.. my only experience in small ones has been the demo truck that travels around.. and of course its at fairs, festivals, etc where there is already alot of noise.. I agree the cost of solar is starting to get really reasonable in the $ per watt category. and as power storage technology advances, perhaps the need for generating power at night diminishes if you can make and store enough power in daylight to last through the night.. (even in winter).
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N View Post
We would be happy to visit with you. Stop by.
Alan
PM Sent...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote