Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 6
Hello from Montreal

Hi,

We are a couple Elodie and Bertrand about to buy a bus to work remotely and travel.

It seems that in Quebec, it is a bit of a challenge to find a school bus, register it as a RV and find an insurance. So we will have probably a lot of questions.

This weekend, we are having a test drive of a 2005 Blue Bird TC3000 with Caterpillar 210HP 6 cyl. 6.4L engine (72 seats). We did not find a lot of info about it. It would be great if you guys could give us some advices for the test drive (stuffs to look at, questions to ask...) and also share your opinion about this bus for a conversion.

We are very newbies, but for sure, we will learn a lot here and we hope that later it will be our turn to help newbies.

Note: We are not native English speaker, so sorry in advance for the typos please believe we do our best.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post

Note: We are not native English speaker, so sorry in advance for the typos please believe we do our best.
Your English is better than my French.

If you read this Board, you may have surmised the CAt engines can be more expensive to repair. The buses newer than 2003 also have more emissions components that may complicate repairs. Air brakes may need special license in Canada.

That is a heck of a good-looking bus, tho. How many miles and how many huard are they asking?

Check tires and stay away from bad rust.

Good Luck and Welcome !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc3000.jpg (215.1 KB, 9 views)
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 6
Thanks Rusty !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
the CAt engines can be more expensive to repair. The buses newer than 2003 also have more emissions components that may complicate repairs.
Hmm, I have to read about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Air brakes may need special license in Canada.
Thanks a lot for that info! I am calling the regulation this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
How many miles and how many huard are they asking?
64 000 miles, price is 4750 CAD (which is not much in USD as huard is pretty low now but my salary is in CAD).
The bus is still transporting kids for a school so it should be in good conditions and regularly inspected. (That what the guy told me, but is there any seller that would not tell me so ;)
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
The bus is still transporting kids for a school so it should be in good conditions and regularly inspected. (That what the guy told me, but is there any seller that would not tell me so ;)
That is good news, that the bus is actively running routes. I have found the bus barns selling buses to be very honest. Auctions of Police vehicles has been the complete opposite.

Just make sure you have somewhere to park and work on it before you buy.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Just make sure you have somewhere to park and work on it before you buy.
That is my current quest !
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 6
Had a test drive of the skoolie this morning.

Looks really nice, the school has 6 mechanics that take care of their fleet. All their buses were in excellent conditions: almost no rust, no dents...

In addition, I can stand up without hitting the ceiling (I am 6 ft 2), so that could be a top choice.

However, I have read so many bad things abut the CAT C7 since your last message that I am bit scared of buying it.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
Had a test drive of the skoolie this morning.

Looks really nice, the school has 6 mechanics that take care of their fleet. All their buses were in excellent conditions: almost no rust, no dents...

In addition, I can stand up without hitting the ceiling (I am 6 ft 2), so that could be a top choice.

However, I have read so many bad things abut the CAT C7 since your last message that I am bit scared of buying it.
It has the same B50 as all the others. Don't be scared of buying it if it's in good condition.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It has the same B50 as all the others. Don't be scared of buying it if it's in good condition.
Google is one of my best friends but he could not help about what is a B50.
Can you tell more about it ?



Found it. Thanks !
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
Google is one of my best friends but he could not help about what is a B50.
Can you tell more about it ?



Found it. Thanks !
There is a B10 rating too.

The miles at which 10% of the engines will need a rebuild and the miles at which 50% will (B50).

B10 is around 200 000 miles for our engines. Of course it depends on use and I think School Bus use probably is much harder on the engine than highway truck use.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
Hi,

We are a couple Elodie and Bertrand about to buy a bus to work remotely and travel.

It seems that in Quebec, it is a bit of a challenge to find a school bus, register it as a RV and find an insurance. So we will have probably a lot of questions.

This weekend, we are having a test drive of a 2005 Blue Bird TC3000 with Caterpillar 210HP 6 cyl. 6.4L engine (72 seats). We did not find a lot of info about it. It would be great if you guys could give us some advices for the test drive (stuffs to look at, questions to ask...) and also share your opinion about this bus for a conversion.

We are very newbies, but for sure, we will learn a lot here and we hope that later it will be our turn to help newbies.

Note: We are not native English speaker, so sorry in advance for the typos please believe we do our best.
Hey,

Have you gone ahead with the skoolie conversion?

I have the same project

Based in Québec city.

We should share info.

Let me know!!

Jean-François Bégin
Jeffbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.