Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello from NE Texas

I am Jamie, and am a high school principal in NE Texas. I presently have a pop-up camper that does not get used nearly enough. I have just been introduced to "Skoolies" while researching alternatives to expensive RV's. I am very much a DIY person.

****I Don't Have a Bus Yet**** I am here to learn, learn, learn and plan, plan, plan.

Brief profile: My wife loves the idea, that was my green light. My school is an hour commute from my home, and my school is in a very rural area. There are times when I need to stay overnight at my school (late athletic events, inclement weather, unsafe driving conditions). I was thinking about a hard-side camper, but HOW COOL would having a Skoolie be for a principal? Parked on campus?

This is my main research model so far, but it's only been 2 days. Outside Found School Bus Conversion Tour | Outside Found

I would hope to buy my bus in the next 6-12 months. Thank you for the add!

Jamie

jamieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I just wanted to post that I hope my introduction does not duplicate. I was not seeing it after I posted, so I tried again. There must have just been a delay. Thank you again for the add and I am really excited to learn from this community until I begin my project and can share my expertise.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome!!! --- Always great to see another Texan on board. Just take your time, read every build thread you can absorb and you will begin to get a picture of what will work best for you. Plenty of good, solid buses here in this state so be patient and get the very best you can afford going in. It will make the conversion go much easier.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Howdy Houston! Thank you so much. That's my plan, to learn and to plan. I've found the Rene Bates auction site, after the transportation director of a local ISD told me he had a couple buses going up for auction this Spring. Definitely want to start learning about the desired engines, trannys' chassies, and more.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb View Post
Howdy Houston! Thank you so much. That's my plan, to learn and to plan. I've found the Rene Bates auction site, after the transportation director of a local ISD told me he had a couple buses going up for auction this Spring. Definitely want to start learning about the desired engines, trannys' chassies, and more.
If one of them is suitable, he might sell direct. Many won't though, as the auction format allows the transportation dept. to tell the School Board that they got the best price.

All sales from our district have to be approved by the Board, and they are sold via closed-bid. So even the high-bidder won't get the bus if the board doesn't okay it.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, he told me no direct sales and that anyone can bid via Rene Bates auction site.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Direct purchase from a school district is by far the best option whenever possible. You can usually talk to the maintenance techs and find out the story on any given unit. Plus...you can often get he actual maintenance logs which are worth their weight in gold.

Not to mention that you will be paying "wholesale" instead of a marked up dealer or auction price.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I have some time until Spring so I’ll be keeping tabs on neighbor districts for buses. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk