Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Hello from New Jersey!

Been lurking a little while, and earlier this month, I pulled the trigger on a 2003 Collins with a 6.0L Chevy engine. The engine and trans are in great shape, and have about 100K miles. The bus has almost no surface rust, and is all-in-all in amazing shape for 15 years of New Jersey driving. I've started to post some questions, and I'm sure I'll get to know a bunch of you. The information I've been reading so far has been invaluable, so thanks!

We hope to make this into a bus we can make week-long or even month-long trips in while staying with family for part of the time - we won't be living in it full time, even when traveling. That said, we're hoping for eventually running hot water for a shower, as well as a solar setup that'll run the water pump and charge a couple laptops. Nothing really ambitious, but enough to feel somewhat comfortable. Oh, and insulation, as some of our trips will likely be south in the summer...

Anyway, here's a picture of the bus! It's a lot bigger in our driveway than the lot we picked it up from! haha

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails
03collins.jpg  

Old 01-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
COOL! I sure love the 6.0 in my work truck. Pulls HARD!
Post some more pics!!!

Where in NJ?? I'd be interested in bidding if I knew where the good 6.0's are!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
Bus Nut

We're in central Jersey. There are a bunch of busses the state is getting rid of up for auction. New Jersey doesn't allow busses more than 15 years old, so all the 2003's are going up for auction this year all around the state.

We visited the lot with about 40 busses and nearly all are 6-window busses with a wheelchair lift like ours. Only about 10 didn't have at least one significant rust spot (ours is just minor surface rust), so we were able to knock out most right away since I'm not metalworker. Of the remaining few, we started them up and decided on one of about 4. The one we got had the cleanest fluids, started easiest, was nearly spotless inside and out (for 15 years), and seemed to shift best (couldn't drive, but could start it and work the gear shift). When we drove it home, it handled like a champ! I've driven 28' moving vans, so this was like driving a car in comparison, just a very wide car. Anyway, I think the other three went up for auction by now as well. That said, they were still getting more in when we went back to pick it up. govdeals is where we found it.

Here are a few more pics. All the seats but one are out (in case me and the wife need to drive it somewhere together), and you can see those dreaded rails in the floor... and the mess of wiring above the driver seat. Once we finish pulling down the side and ceiling panels (nearly all screws, thankfully!), we should be able to start tracing where the wires go and see which we can simply eliminate.

The bus does have a rear heater (works well) and a rear A/C (no idea if it works yet). I'm thinking we'll leave those in for now. I can't see any reason to get rid of them.
Attached Thumbnails
back.jpg   wiring.jpg   front.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am with CB... Cool Bus!!

I just bought my first 6.0 truck a couple of months ago and, while it is no match for my 5.9 Cummins truck, I am loving it.

One exception is the fuel milage. My 1 ton dually gets 40% better fuel mileage with a Cumins 5.9....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
We're in central Jersey. There are a bunch of busses the state is getting rid of up for auction. New Jersey doesn't allow busses more than 15 years old, so all the 2003's are going up for auction this year all around the state.

We visited the lot with about 40 busses and nearly all are 6-window busses with a wheelchair lift like ours. Only about 10 didn't have at least one significant rust spot (ours is just minor surface rust), so we were able to knock out most right away since I'm not metalworker. Of the remaining few, we started them up and decided on one of about 4. The one we got had the cleanest fluids, started easiest, was nearly spotless inside and out (for 15 years), and seemed to shift best (couldn't drive, but could start it and work the gear shift). When we drove it home, it handled like a champ! I've driven 28' moving vans, so this was like driving a car in comparison, just a very wide car. Anyway, I think the other three went up for auction by now as well. That said, they were still getting more in when we went back to pick it up. govdeals is where we found it.

Here are a few more pics. All the seats but one are out (in case me and the wife need to drive it somewhere together), and you can see those dreaded rails in the floor... and the mess of wiring above the driver seat. Once we finish pulling down the side and ceiling panels (nearly all screws, thankfully!), we should be able to start tracing where the wires go and see which we can simply eliminate.

The bus does have a rear heater (works well) and a rear A/C (no idea if it works yet). I'm thinking we'll leave those in for now. I can't see any reason to get rid of them.
The heat and AC will only work while the engine is running if you retain them. You'll need another option for stationary use.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Good info - thanks all! Can't wait to get this thing finished, but I'm curbing expectations and hoping we can at least get further than teardown and insulation before we want to take our first trip and can do more than just throw a mattress in the back and go...

How bad of mileage should I expect with the 6.0L gas engine? We don't plan to travel much, but the times we do travel, it could be between 1500 and 3000 miles.

Thanks for the note about heat and A/C. For now we'll rough it in the heat with fans and finding shade when we're stationary, or simply go inside family's homes. For the winter, we're planning on one of the Buddy indoor propane heaters. We won't be sitting much in the winter.

Chris
Old 01-29-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Good info - thanks all! Can't wait to get this thing finished, but I'm curbing expectations and hoping we can at least get further than teardown and insulation before we want to take our first trip and can do more than just throw a mattress in the back and go...

How bad of mileage should I expect with the 6.0L gas engine? We don't plan to travel much, but the times we do travel, it could be between 1500 and 3000 miles.

Thanks for the note about heat and A/C. For now we'll rough it in the heat with fans and finding shade when we're stationary, or simply go inside family's homes. For the winter, we're planning on one of the Buddy indoor propane heaters. We won't be sitting much in the winter.

Chris
I don't buy the gas but the work truck does about 15mpg. I'd expect similar from a bus.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I guess we'll see how it goes, but that's far better than I was expecting. Time will tell! Thanks.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:09 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

The big yellow rectangle unit in the center of the photo is the Weldon light controller for the 8-way lights. If you retain the 8-way lights outside you should be able to determine which wire goes to which light fairly easily right there at the controller. Just be aware that you can't have red lights up that high and clear lights on the front are offroad only.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Fuel mileage in a Collins on the GM G-4500 chassis with the 6.0L and the 4L80 transmission is usually in the 10-12 MPG range. The newer models with the 6L80 transmission get a little better in the 12-14 MPG range.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Nice looking rig. The chair rails are a pain to remove. I still have about 18 of them (100") stacked in the garage from our bus.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Thanks. Is there a good way to figure out which transmission is in the bus? As for the lights, I plan to blank out the front lights. The rear I may keep as additional brake and turn signals, but I'm not sold on that yet. I may simply blank those out as well, depending on how much steel needs to be filled. If I ever add a hitch and tow a trailer, they may be worth keeping for that purpose, though.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks. Is there a good way to figure out which transmission is in the bus? As for the lights, I plan to blank out the front lights. The rear I may keep as additional brake and turn signals, but I'm not sold on that yet. I may simply blank those out as well, depending on how much steel needs to be filled. If I ever add a hitch and tow a trailer, they may be worth keeping for that purpose, though.
Our 2003 has the four speed.
Just count how many times it shifts.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
CB,

What year is your 6.0 truck? Mine is a 2004 and has gotten 11-12mpg since the day I bought it.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Pretty sure its an 03.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: International
Quote:

Ooh... this is exactly what I'm looking for too!

If I find one on govdeals, could I compensate you in some way to check it out for me???
Old 02-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheatricalKate View Post
Ooh... this is exactly what I'm looking for too!

If I find one on govdeals, could I compensate you in some way to check it out for me???
Maybe someone else could, but given when the state lot is open, I needed to take off work to check them out, and so cannot offer to do so as I only have so much vacation time available. Sorry!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: International
Quote:
Maybe someone else could, but given when the state lot is open, I needed to take off work to check them out, and so cannot offer to do so as I only have so much vacation time available. Sorry!
Makes perfect sense! You need that vacation time for your upcoming adventures!
TheatricalKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:21 AM   #19

Diesel or Gas

Good morning,

I am new to the forum. I am really considering buying a 22 ft Chevy Express Cutaway. I have found a few and I have a couple questions.

If you had the option between a 2007 Chevy Express diesel, 240,000 miles on a 6.6 Duramax engine, with a 4L80E transmission that was rebuilt at 205,000 miles, Thomas cab (price $7,900)

OR

a 2010 Chevy Express gas 6.0 Vortex engine, 120,000 miles, same transmission as above, Collins cab. (price $8,500) What would you choose?

I dont plan on towing much, maybe a street legal dirt bike on the back, but thats it.

Thoughts?
Rafbus is offline   Reply With Quote