Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Hello! from Northern California

Hi everyone. I don't currently have a bus but in the past have had a '51 Wayne body Ford and numerous strange old trucks and vans. I've always loved buses in spite of the fact that step vans probably make more sense for someone like me. I haven't seen too many step vans with a 30k gross weight and air brakes. I'm sort of scoping out Thomas buses with the high roof and 24v cummins engines mounted in front. Pushers are neat but they'd be more difficult to load, say, milling machines and that sort of thing into. Anyways, I look forward to driving you all crazy with my endless questions!

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

One thing that I didn't mention last night: I've also been tossing back and forth the idea of building a vintage tractor trailer as a house car/ toy hauler rig but don't know what kind of licensing I can get away with here or in any other state for that matter. I'd like to avoid the class A license since your record never gets cleared and the police here will write you a moving violation if you get a flat tire (true story). A bus might actually fly under the radar more easily. Any thoughts?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
One thing that I didn't mention last night: I've also been tossing back and forth the idea of building a vintage tractor trailer as a house car/ toy hauler rig but don't know what kind of licensing I can get away with here or in any other state for that matter. I'd like to avoid the class A license since your record never gets cleared and the police here will write you a moving violation if you get a flat tire (true story). A bus might actually fly under the radar more easily. Any thoughts?
Welcome!

I'm a trucker and I won't even go to California anymore. I know exactly what you mean. I'd stick with thebus plan vs a tractor trailer setup. Less headaches with the dot that way. On the other hand, a tractor trailer set up as a private rv might make a difference to them. I'd contact your local bear den and ask their opinions on the subject.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
jmcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

is quite easy to change title in oregon to rv... just bring rig to dmv... they only check vin number n nothing else. calif is ok with that of course if lic as rv, n u can use ore class c lic as it is normal rv... no big deal at all. my neighbor converted his otr by lenghing the frame n building rv on it. is just lots of work to change over conventional to rv.
staying away from cal not necessary cept esp la traffic during day. east coast can be much bigger mess.. just saying .
Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Jmcustom: you see why I'd want to pack up my things and leave. The diesel laws here make me crazy too. Chev49: building on the back of a straight truck could work, I hadn't thought about that in a long time. I was daydreaming about using one of those art deco Fruehauf moving trailers with the low belly. Probably not worth the headaches, but Jmcustom is right, I should just go find a highway patrol officer to ask.