Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

Year: 1992
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins
Hello from Ohio...soon to be Colorado

Hi! Jeremy & I (Wendy) have decided to get a bus! We decided to move to Colorado a couple of years ago to fulfill a life long dream of living in the mountains. We started off considering a camper, then a tiny home, and while researching those came across some buses. Originally I didn't think we could make a bus practical for full time living in colder climates, but after reading about some folks who are doing it, it seems the perfect choice for us! We want to live in it full time for at least a year, with our 3 dogs, while we figure out exactly where we want to settle. We are excited about living simply and reducing our expenses. We are currently working on getting our house sold and finding the right bus. I'd like to find something partially converted. I am a little nervous about doing the plumbing ourselves. We also want to install solar and a wood stove. We'd like to be self-sufficient. We are thinking we would park the bus for a couple months at a time, try to find part time work in the areas we stay to get us by. We'd appreciate any advice or suggestions on finding a bus or places to park in Colorado (we are leaning toward the southern half of the state). I've been told diesel is better than gas and that an automatic transmission is better than manual (by a rafting guy who does some work on buses). It's an exciting, but scary move we're making. To go to a nomadic lifestyle for the next year is a big change for us, but one that I think will prove to be an awesome adventure!
Thanks for all the awesome information on this site! It helps me remember that this crazy scheme is doable!
Wendy

cottagecreekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Almost There

Here are two auction sites to keep an eye on:

Public Surplus: School Bus

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...=&category=94H

You'll want to look in areas with low probability of rust. If you're going to live in it, and be in cold weather, you'll need to gut it (floor, walls, and ceiling) so you can get some good insulation in there.

Those are my .02 cents worth.

Good luck, have fun, and WELCOME!
ElizaHasAPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I agree with the website auctions. Look for the ones in more southern states. California will be having some great sales coming up in the next few months. As a word of encouragement, look at my thread. I got "Heavy Fuel" for $2K from California. It was an AWESOME trip. I'll remember it for the rest of my life. Met a really close friend from a gaming site and we made some legendary memories! We still talk about that week! A whole new world of fun and learning experiences await you! If there's anything else to help either ask here or PM me.

M1031
Old 08-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you plan to travel the mountains out west get a bus FROM Colorado.
DON'T mess around with crusty, rusty Ohio stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
IMhop plumbing is the easy part, doing the electrical, not so much the dc but the AC portion is more involved
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote