Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 03:17 AM   #1

Year: 1989
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: Cummings
Hello from Ontario Canada

Just wanted to say hello, heard of this site from someones video on Youtube and had to join. Just purchased a bus for converting and looking forward to the journey ahead. First time doing anything like this, so should be a great adventure.

Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Welcome from BC new member to new member.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Hi and
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #4

Year: 1989
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: Cummings
Hey TTT,nice to meet you, building bus to go to BC!! Might see it around in a couple years!!
Hello BF, n ice to meet you as well.
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Insurance?

Hey!

A question for the Canadians, not matter the province... What insurance company are you with? What's your experience been?
Mooncalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Unfortunately there is only one in BC. 😣

Old 09-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Which one?

Yes? Which company is that? I take it you're not satisfied? Why? Because of the price or because of another reason? How much do you pay per month/year?

Thanx, any info is very helpful!
Old 09-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
Bus Nut

BC has government auto insurance = ICBC.
RV insurance I have not researched yet. Probably end up buying through a brokerage firm to cover contents of the skoolie.

I did get a basic quote for less than 50.00/month but that coverage was to other people's property upto 3 million and none to the bus.
BTW I have no accident discount.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

RV?

So are you saying that you don't have insurance on your bus, or that it is insured as something other than an RV?
Old 09-21-2016, 12:12 AM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Corbeil - RAMROD
Chassis: IH 3800 66 Pass
Engine: 7.3 IH IDI NA w AT545 hyd
Hey Trebor, welcome fellow Canuck!

Do a ton of reading and research before you buy your bus. Ask us questions, and tell us what your plan is - we can save you time and money this way.

It's a great community and there are some incredible builds and helpful people here.
slidewayzm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
more Canadans

Lots of Canadans from the Canadia on here lately!! welcome!
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncalf View Post
So are you saying that you don't have insurance on your bus, or that it is insured as something other than an RV?
My Bus in BC is insured as a 1 ton truck because it is similar to a express/savana van but I had to go to a small Insurance broker to get it done because ICBC's big chain of insurance brokerage wanted me to convert it first before getting insurance since insurance for heavy vehicles is more expensive so they wanted me to get a business/school bus insurance for $27.000 a year to drive from the previous owner to my house and since is a minimum of 3 months insurance they wanted me to pay $3000 to do that and I paid $3500 for the whole bus.....ICBC is the worst in Canada.

Basically what I did is not illegal but it is not well defined and it usually requires a check from ICBC that checks for the seats being removed, attachment holes to be covered and weight to be reduced and then they will do the same thing of insuring as a truck but if you say that you already did that you can get it insurance before that, knowing you have to do it right away, and after that once the conversion is done you can get RV insurance but for that an ICBC inspection is required to visually inspect for the minimum of RV appliances/facilities required.

I hope that helps but do not compare ICBC with any other province and take them as the worst example in Canada.
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:59 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncalf View Post
I am currently working on my bus. The insurance was to drive it home and to get it inspected.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
Skoolie

My Bus is insured as a pickup 3500HD because is the same body length and is based on a cargo van and is 21.5 feet long so at least length wise is legal to park in the street but height is not.

Basically if you have a different body style bus not base on a cargo van you will have to insured for the day packed, convert it to minimum expect to be changed to Recreational vehicle and then get the RV insurance.
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
welcome , I just got back from a 7 day trip in the bus, and I read your message you sent me about insurance, so far the only company I heard is CO-Operators that will insurance a skoolie, they will wont it converted , toilet, kitchen, etc, most likely they will have it inspected, with this info you can then have mto register it as a motor home.
btw what part of Ottawa are you in? we where just near deep river, go there lots.
gbstewart
Old 09-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #16

Hi! I am from Canada too, living in Quebec and plotting and scheming to move back out to BC with a skoolie. Look forward to hearing more about your adventure!
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote